cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS issues

Tracer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been doing deliveries around the city and have had issues with the GPS. Not sure if it is to do with my phone, Google, or Public?

Happened 4 different times tonight where I would start going to my delivery destination and it would not read as driving, yet if I backed out of the real time I could see my location enough to get by? Anyone else have this issue so I can root out a Public mobile network issue?

In Edmonton, Alberta

16 REPLIES 16

Tracer

Learned something new today, if I keep it away from the magnet it works as it should! Guess the otterbox isn't enough of a gap to clear

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tracer wrote:

Well, it seems it happened again. I have now run out of data on my plan, (resets on the 16th) but I am on Public's Christmas gift of 1 Gb of data, would that have anything to do with it? Otherwise I was thinking that a buddy got me one of those magnetic phone holders for the car, maybe that is screwing with the signal?

Tried that one app but there was a bunch of numbers and such and couldn't get a true feel of what I was looking at

You would need to find one of those repair it yourself videos or pictures to find out where the GPS antenna is. Magnets are metal. Magnets around electronics are always unwise unless intentional by the manufacturers of the original product. Metal blocks signals. Magnets interfere with radio signals.

Yes. Get rid of the magnetic holder. Surely (don't call me Shirley) there are pressure-fit click-in type holders.

Tracer

Well, it seems it happened again. I have now run out of data on my plan, (resets on the 16th) but I am on Public's Christmas gift of 1 Gb of data, would that have anything to do with it? Otherwise I was thinking that a buddy got me one of those magnetic phone holders for the car, maybe that is screwing with the signal?

Tried that one app but there was a bunch of numbers and such and couldn't get a true feel of what I was looking at

Tracer

Thanks for all the great information, definitely a lot of knowledge on this platform!

I will try it out again today to see if it's the same and if not I will work through a few of the suggestions!

Tracer

I would restart the phone and it would seem to fix it but then it would happen again

scorpio17
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had a similar problem near Toronto last evening. Restarting Google maps app helped me. Not sure why but looks like Google maps experienced some problems with connection to server.

PS. Check if your problem continues to appear.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

GPS in Android is A-GPS or "Assisted" GPS - so it can speed up fix time by downloading the current almanac and ephemeris data from an Internet server instead of the time consuming automatic process. If your data is off, or your plan's data has been fully consumed, this could be a factor. Maybe start GPS while still in Wi-Fi coverage would help.

Secondly, since you mentioned you have an android phone, is to check out an app called "GPS Test" - it has some nice views of GPS data, and has options to manually clear and/or update the AGPS data which may help your phone kickstart the GPS function. There are other apps which will force the GPS to stay active all the time, which can consume your battery, but is good if you are frequently in/out of location based apps to maintain a constant location fix.

@Tracer wrote:

This is far from downtown, and I have never had these issues before

It is a Samsung Galaxy S8, just seems funky and makes one appreciate the time before cell phones and the ease of GPS lol

It could be a result of intermittent data connectivity.

Also make sure Maps can use your battery in the background.

Go to your phone's settings - Apps & notifications - Maps, and look for the battery options. On my phone that's under "Advanced". Allow the app to use the battery in the background.

Also might want to clear the cache and data and force close the Maps app and restart your phone.

@Tracer wrote:

I have been doing deliveries around the city and have had issues with the GPS. Not sure if it is to do with my phone, Google, or Public?

Happened 4 different times tonight where I would start going to my delivery destination and it would not read as driving, yet if I backed out of the real time I could see my location enough to get by? Anyone else have this issue so I can root out a Public mobile network issue?

In Edmonton, Alberta

GPS itself isn't related to Public Mobile but the cellular network can be use to improve accuracy and speed up GPS lock-ins.  I would set your phone to use the phone's internal GPS only to see if that makes any difference. This will rule out or possibly confirm a potential hardware issue with your device.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe try the different accuracy modes in location services.

Maybe try connecting as HSDPA (3G) rather than LTE (4G). Or vice versa.

How's cell reception in the areas this happens? Maybe a tower in the area only provides some frequencies.

Tracer

This is far from downtown, and I have never had these issues before

It is a Samsung Galaxy S8, just seems funky and makes one appreciate the time before cell phones and the ease of GPS lol

Tracer

Tracer

It is a Samsung Galaxy S8

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

High buildings can block your gps signal. I know.....but I have not been to Edmonton for a few years. If iPhone 4, update your iOS.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

What make/model/submodel is the phone?

Edit: other than maybe losing cell reception for cell data I doubt this is a PM problem.

Tracer

Restarted all the apps, as well as my phone to try and reset any issues. It was to no avail

Need Help? Let's chat.