cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated - SIM will arrive too late for referral promo

m2m
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Seeing that the current refer-a-friend promo for $25 credit each ends today, my mother decided to take the plunge to sign up for Public Mobile tonight.

HOWEVER - there seems to be no way to activate service without having a SIM card in hand. And apparently it takes a week to receive a SIM card. Since the promo ends tonight, it looks like there is no way for my mother to take advantage of this particular promotion.

Oh well - looks like it will be a while before she becomes a Public Mobile customer as she says she prefers to wait a few months until another good promotion pops up 😞 Rather frustrated as she has already hemmed and hawed about becoming a PM customer for a while and this promotion finally tipped her over the edge.

16 REPLIES 16

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Luddite wrote:

@srlawren That is correct. Well, at least until @CalgaryBen corrects me! Robot LOL

I concur!  There might be some cases where it's actual MMS (e.g. one of the iPhone users turns off iMessage), but then that would require cellular data being turned back on.

@srlawren wrote:

@Luddite and--correct me if I'm wrong here--but iPhone-to-iPhone messages delivering over WiFi would have to be iMessage messages rather than actual MMS, right?

@srlawren That is correct. Well, at least until @CalgaryBen corrects me! Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@m2m wrote:

Update: @Luddite rocks! My mother installed the SIM card last night and it works great. She was impressed her plan includes international text and will likely use that occasionally. She was having fun sending MMS last night. I was surprised she was able to send MMS with her mobile data turned off (then against I have never used MMS before).

If she has an iPhone then her MMS to other iPhones are actually going over wifi. Cellular data must be on for MMS to function seamlessly to all types of phone.

@Luddite and--correct me if I'm wrong here--but iPhone-to-iPhone messages delivering over WiFi would have to be iMessage messages rather than actual MMS, right?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

TheOldVR

Agreed - @Luddite Rocks!

@m2m wrote:

Update: @Luddite rocks! My mother installed the SIM card last night and it works great. She was impressed her plan includes international text and will likely use that occasionally. She was having fun sending MMS last night. I was surprised she was able to send MMS with her mobile data turned off (then against I have never used MMS before).

If she has an iPhone then her MMS to other iPhones are actually going over wifi. Cellular data must be on for MMS to function seamlessly to all types of phone.

m2m

TheOldVR

In my case it was our screw up.... threw out the SIM by accident.

No fault of PM, sometimes things happen!

Last comment... it's been a while but apparently the Oracles still Rock!!!!

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@m2m wrote:

Seeing that the current refer-a-friend promo for $25 credit each ends today, my mother decided to take the plunge to sign up for Public Mobile tonight.

HOWEVER - there seems to be no way to activate service without having a SIM card in hand. And apparently it takes a week to receive a SIM card. Since the promo ends tonight, it looks like there is no way for my mother to take advantage of this particular promotion.

Oh well - looks like it will be a while before she becomes a Public Mobile customer as she says she prefers to wait a few months until another good promotion pops up 😞 Rather frustrated as she has already hemmed and hawed about becoming a PM customer for a while and this promotion finally tipped her over the edge.

Let me get this straight, it's the last hours of day 46/46 of this promo (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Share-the-love-get-a-25-Credit-for-You-...), including a two week extension that was plenty for an online order, as well as a fair amount of retailers across Canada that would have happily sold you a SIM in person...

And you are essentially implying that Public Mobile's dropped the ball on this one?!?

Just... wow...

m2m

It's officially activated. Thanks again @Luddite! My mother is all excited about a new phone plan now and can't wait to be able to start using it. She's currently on wifi only and now will finally have a phone number to give out to friends.

TheOldVR

Delete... sorry.

Thanks!!

m2m

@Luddite indeed offered me a fantastic solution that will work very well for me.

Thanks everyone! Off to get my mother's new account activated!

@m2m wrote:

Unfortunately, we don't plan to put in the money to buy a PM SIM card until and unless a promotion works out so won't have a SIM card in hand. So I guess we just have to pay attention to promotions and jump on them a little faster in the future. I just hadn't anticipated this as usually online things can be done from start to finish within minutes.

@m2m , you have been offered a solution by an esteemed member to rescue the deal.  Look at the earlier post.  

m2m

Unfortunately, we don't plan to put in the money to buy a PM SIM card until and unless a promotion works out so won't have a SIM card in hand. So I guess we just have to pay attention to promotions and jump on them a little faster in the future. I just hadn't anticipated this as usually online things can be done from start to finish within minutes.

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@m2m wrote:

It looks like this kind of promotion is run every 3 months or so. So watch out for an announcement around mid-May. Good luck !!

Pizzaeh

@m2m wrote:

No problem, Public Mobile is always running promotions.  You will be ahead of the game for the next promotion, with the SIM card in hand.  

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

If you want to get this done tonight send me a private message. I can give you a way to do it.

In case you are not familiar with that: Private Messages - viewing and creating

Need Help? Let's chat.