cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom to Public mobile

kidney
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi - I just switched from freedom to Public.

The shopkeeper was very annoyed that I was moving.  He sold me a new sim card and ported the number few hours ago.  I also charged the number.

The SIM still doesnt seem to be active.

Please HELP !!

Thankyou.

20 REPLIES 20

mlukezic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just swtich from Freedom to Public -- and they didn't give me any hassles on the phone about leaving - just gave the reason that the phone didn't work in dead spots and I needed the phone for emergencies and that was it.  Only issue that alot of people seem to have is setting up the self-serve account -- but I have a very helpful moderator on that issue -- so I am happy.

@kidney, wow, that's really slimy on Freedom's end.  It's your dime, and the carrier should let you go if you want to leave.  Sure the offer to be retained can be presented, but if you still don't want it...

Let the subscriber go!

kidney

Thanks for all the replies to my post.  Issue finally resolved.

I saw people talking about waiting for 10 days and then talking to Freedom.  I decided not to wait and started calling Freedom and get them to move.

I was offered 50% off the plan that they sold me - but I kept insisting to release the no.

I was kept on hold  / disconncted and misdirected - but I kept calling them to release no.

So finally the number ported to Public.

Then a moderator helped me to fix a small issue with my pre-paid voucher.

Think I am all set now.  Thanks for all the help.

Cheers !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kidney wrote:

No compatability issues with the phone.

New SIM installed and restarted? Not in Airplane mode? Is it seeing Public Mobile as a network? Or are you getting nothing other than maybe emergency calls only? No blockages for any apps? Does your old SIM still work?

Sorry for you @kidney. Smiley SadYou will ask Santa for a new one...Smiley Wink

kidney

No compatability issues with the phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kidney wrote:

How much time does it generally take for moderators to reply?  I did this in the morning.

Thanks..

@kidney unfortunately you may be stuck for a bit. the moderatos seem rather backed up again and are taking 2-3+ days to respond currently.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

You will need more time...2 or 3 days.. @kidney PATIENCE they will answer you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kidney wrote:

I cannot create my account - as i need to enter the pin code- which does not come on my inactive public mobile.

@kidney

Did you check willmyphonework.net to see if your phone was actually compatible with Public Mobile? The little checker here is not very complete.

Unfortunately it can take several days for a moderator to respond.

kidney

I cannot create my account - as i need to enter the pin code- which does not come on my inactive public mobile.

kidney

How much time does it generally take for moderators to reply?  I did this in the morning.

Thanks..

srlawren

@Lieux wrote:

Same for me I read few days for some ports from mobile to PM... why @srlawren????

@Lieux they shouldn't.  Perhaps those were situations where the first port attempt failed (people very often seem to fill out the form incorrectly, or at least provide info that doesn't match what their previous carrier has on record) and took several days in total including contacting the moderators and getting the port request redone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Alex888 wrote:

I've read quite a few complaints about them taking days. Just a few days ago someone posted that going from Freedom mobile to PM had taken 10 days. And others have said that Rogers has denied a port until they have talked to the customer and tried to get them to stay.

If there are no issues with the number port, Freedom ports are completed within 30 minutes every time.  I have help so many Freedom/Wind customers switch that I have lost count.  The most recent convert was switched over late December 2018.  The number port took just under 30 minutes.  With Rogers, I don't have enough data points to be certain.  My own limited experience suggests that it is also around 30 minutes. 

BTW, this porting system is automatic (wireless to wireless).  I don't think humans get involved unless something breaks.  There really isn't an opportunity for someone to intervene and deny a port.  The only conditions required to complete a port are the number resides in an active account and is going into an active account at a different carrier and the number port is authorized by the account owner of the sending service. 

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alex888 wrote:

I've read quite a few complaints about them taking days. Just a few days ago someone posted that going from Freedom mobile to PM had taken 10 days. And others have said that Rogers has denied a port until they have talked to the customer and tried to get them to stay.

My port from Virgin took overnight after a message to the mods. 

A few days later Virgin called me and tried to lure me back by offering me the same price plan as I had before but with more data that I didn't need. Providors don't seem to want to cater cheaper plans for less data. Needless to say I stuck it out with Public Mobile and am very happy with the money I have been saving for a plan that suits my needs. 

@Alex888 wrote:

@Alex888

I would be interested in seeing a source for that. I know that Bell uses that procedure, but Rogers doing the same is new to me.

Same for me I read few days for some ports from mobile to PM... why @srlawren????

srlawren

@Alex888 wrote:

It can take up to a few days for the port to go through.

@Alex888 not for mobile-to-mobile ports, no--they should be done within a few hours; any longer and they are failed or stuck.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

It can take up to a few days for the port to go through. Have you created a Self-serve account yet? You need to go to My Account in the top corner and select Create An Account.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kidney, are you saying that the store you went to did the account activation for you and also included a number port?  Did you also assist with setting up a self serve account?  If so, you can try to go into the self serve account to see the status of the account.  I am a Wind mobile transplant and I am certain the number ports take about 30 minute.  If you have not rebooted your phone since the number port, please do so.  Also check the status of the Freedom account.  If the number port was successful, then the Freedom account will be inactive and the line will no longer work.  If the Freedom line still works and more than 2 hours have past, the port likely has failed and you will need moderator team assistance to resubmit the number port.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Need Help? Let's chat.