cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flip phone

Benni2021
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I want to buy a flip phone, and use PublicMobile as my provider. Is that possible? 

Also, I want to keep my same number. How do I do that?

144 REPLIES 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : Not sure what you mean by new phone number. I seem to recall you're transferring from Bell. You need to leave that SIM in the phone (or the old phone) to receive a confirmation text.

@Benni2021

Did it work in the other phone?

Benni2021

I finally got my SIM card and got it activated.

I went to sign up with PM, I entered the new phone number and it was supposed to text me with a code. No text came. Called CanadaCell and he said to put it in another phone to try it.

Why wouldn't it work in my new phone? Doesn't make sense to me. 

Benni2021

Thanks for the great advice!

@Benni2021 

Go over your original contract carefully just to be sure their are no surprises. The total taxes on your device should be included in your device subsidy but if you were given a considerable discount at the beginning of your contract they may charge you the tax on the discount on top of your ECF. If all is well then if possible port out on day 1 or 2 of your new billing period. If that is June 7th port out on the 8th. If your sim card arrives tomorrow then port out now rather then waiting.

Benni2021

Thank you! As soon as my SIM card arrives, I'll do that.

@Benni2021  if you don't mind to pay off the Bell Contract early, then Yes.

You can activate with PM and ask for number transfer.  Once number is transferred, it will close your Bell account.  Bell will send you the final bill.  If there is anything extra due to the contact, they will charge you, but this is the same as you call Bell and pay off the contract. 

Benni2021

My contract isn't final then. I wanted to pay it off early, the rep I talked to said it was all set and would be taken out of my credit card. Well, she didn't do anything.

Is it possible to go ahead and use PM as my service provider before my contract with Bell is done? Will PM still be able to port my same phone number?

I'm sorry to be such a pest but this cellphone business really confuses me.

@Benni2021 

If the final month of your contract is May (7th?) - June you can port out now and your bill will be prorated. Your entire device balance is paid off after you pay/billed for at least one day of service in your final month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 wrote:

Why should I be wary?

Because it's Bell. Just follow the money. If your previous bill showed a device balance and you paid that off then great. But just watch that that comes true and that they honour it. Or you'll have a fight on your hands which of course you'll win but still...a fight.

So we'll see.

Benni2021

Why should I be wary?

Benni2021

I bought the phone from Amazon. You mean it's better to do it now instead of waiting until I pay off the contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : I'd be very wary. This is Bell we're talkin' about here.

Benni2021

I told them, almost a month ago, I wanted to pay off my contract, and to use my credit card (my phone bill is on Auto-pay through my checking account).

She said she's got it arranged. No, she didn't. 

you meant you are buying the flip phone from Bell?   you have the phone with you now?  you can try putting the PM SIM into the flip phone and see if it works.  In fact, this is a perfect time, just in case they have the phone locked, you are still with Bell (I assume that is the case as you don't get the bill from them yet) and you can ask them for an unlock code.

@Benni2021 

What do you mean by "didn't bill me"?

Benni2021

Great!  I just found out Bell didn't bill me for paying off my contract. Now, I have to wait until June 7th. Darn it, it's taking a long time to be able to use my new flip phone! 

Benni2021

Thanks all. Great info. Will get back to it tomorrow. 🙂

@softech 

The OP is in a remote Newfoundland location. A local retailer is not an option.

@Benni2021 

Once you get the sim card and it is activated you will have three actions you will have to perform.

1. Finish setting up your self serve account.
  2. Contact the moderators to change your 4 digit account pin #. (CCS uses the last 4 digits of your sim card.) You will want a new pin # that only you know what it is.
  3. Port in your phone number from bell if you chose not to have CCS do it for you. This can easily be done within your self serve account.

Ordering SIM from PM doesn't mean they will sign up for you too.  They just send you the SIM.  you sign up online after you got the SIM.   I believe it is the same with CSC   (updated after reading @darlicious  reply)

If you want someone to help signing up, you want to check with local Kiosk (Warlmart/London Drug/Loblaws).  They might even give you the SIM for free.

@Benni2021 

CCS will do the entire activation for you. They offer it two ways....buy the discounted bundle with free sim card. They can activate the sim card and ship it to you ahead of time ( if you need to meet a time limited promo by pm and/or if you have a prepaid account with a provider that you want to port in from before you have to pay for a new 30 day cycle.)

or

You purchase the free sim card/activation bundle from CCS they ship you the unactivated sim card and once it arrives you contact them with all your info and they activate the sim card for you. They can port your number in upon activation or activate with a temporary number and you can port your number in thru your self serve account.

You can retain your bell service by porting in afterwards once the sim card arrives ( activated or not). If you activate afterwards you will enjoy a full 30 days of service from pm rather than losing a week while its in the mail.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech wrote:

@Benni2021  you really shouldn't order SIM from PM (lol.. I hope Mod won't kick me out.. LoL).. it takes long, no tracking.    I would explore other more reliable source for ordering SIM

CCS also sends SIM cards without tracking number, but they are quick. 😀

EDIT: Shipping with Tracking would cost you $10-$15

Benni2021

But does CC sign me up for a PM account?

@Benni2021  you really shouldn't order SIM from PM (lol.. I hope Mod won't kick me out.. LoL).. it takes long, no tracking.    I would explore other more reliable source for ordering SIM

@Benni2021 

Aha got it.....all my advice related to ordering a sim and activation plan with CCS. You did note that PM takes two to three weeks to ship maybe longer to your location. You should really check out CCS before you do so.... think you will be much happier with their speed of service and the savings!

Benni2021

Is it easier to go through CC? Will they create an account at PM for me?

Benni2021

I meant the number not the phone itself.

I'm trying to open an account with PM so I can order one. I'll try again in a bit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : I'm not sure it's clear if you're using CCS or just getting a SIM from Public Mobile.

@Benni2021 

As per @Anonymous  post check your phone number in the link I provided earlier. The CCS bundles are non-refundable if you cannot port your number in.....you would have to have a new phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.