cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flip phone

Benni2021
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I want to buy a flip phone, and use PublicMobile as my provider. Is that possible? 

Also, I want to keep my same number. How do I do that?

144 REPLIES 144

@Benni2021  just to let you know, buying SIM from PM site directly might take some time for delivery, can be as much as 3 weeks.  If you want to do it online, try what @Anonymous suggested  (Amazon is great if you have Prime membership for 2 days delivery , Canadiancellsupplies price is cheaper)

Also, you might want to check local kiosk like Walmart/London Drugs/Loblaws.  Some of them will give the SIM for free if you activate with them.

Welcome to PM

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : You can buy online direct from Public Mobile. You can buy from Amazon. You can buy from Canadiancellsupplies. You can also find one in many stores.

When you get around to activating with it then don't forget to use a referral code to get a $10 credit.

Benni2021

Oh! I've misunderstood then. How do I get the card from them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : No. Your Bell SIM only works with Bell. You need a PM SIM to activate and use on PM.

Benni2021

Yes it receives texts.

After receiving the text, and reply back, do I move the SIM card to my new phone, or does PM send me a new one?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benni2021 : If your old phone can receive texts then you don't need to move the SIM. Then your old phone needs to be able to send a text to confirm.

Benni2021

I finally got my new phone!

I want to make sure that I have the porting process right -- I take the SIM card out of my Bell phone and put it into the new phone then have it ported. Is that correct? 

Benni2021

Thank you so much! Ordering it now. 🙂

@Benni2021 wrote:

I'm STILL waiting on the phone I ordered from Amazon on April 11, it hasn't even shipped yet. Tired of waiting so is this phone compatible with PM?

Flip Phone. 

@Benni2021 

Looks like it, yes! The link you provided showed these frequencies:

"Operator Uleway 3G senior flip phone work with Rogers (Fido), Telus (Koodo), Bell (Virgin Mobile) or any carrier operates on these networks.

Band Mode:GSM 850/900/1800/1900mHz ,WCDMA 900/2100 mHz or 850/1900 mHz."

Note: Public Mobile is a Telus owned company.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Benni2021

I'm STILL waiting on the phone I ordered from Amazon on April 11, it hasn't even shipped yet. Tired of waiting so is this phone compatible with PM?

Flip Phone. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Benni2021 

Did you happen to register an email address for the current free month promotion before the April 5th registration deadline? If you need a referral code for the $10 bonus referral credit feel free to private message anyone who has helped you today and ask them if they will be your friend....lol.... for their referral code and they will happily supply it.

You mention that April is the final month of your contract presumably for a device subsidy on a post paid account. If this is the case the sooner you port over the better. Most "contracts" are set up with two separate fees rolled into one monthly bill. Your plan cost and your device subsidy.

For example lets say you pay $60 per month. $30 for your plan and $30 for your device subsidy. If you port out your number ( there by cancelling your service/account) earlier than your end date your provider adjusts your final bill by prorating your monthly fees. If you port out on the 5th day of your final month the provider prorates your fees $30÷30 days (×2=$60)=$1 per day each for both your plan fee and device subsidy=$2 per day total. 5 days × $2=$10 as your prorated final bill. You do not have to pay your entire monthly device subsidy ($30) in your final month because the WCC considers any portion of the device subsidy paid to be entire month paid so you can save yourself a little extra money....in the above example that amounts to $25.

From the WCC....

1. When calculating the time remaining in a contract to determine the early cancellation fee, a month that has partially elapsed at the time of cancellation is considered a month completely elapsed.

ECF=early cancellation fee is your device subsidy × months remaining in your contract. Please refer to your contract to fully understand your obligations to your provider that you agreed upon.

Phone suggestions:

https://recy-cell.ca/en/cellphones/rugged-phones/

Benni2021

BTW, this is a great community forum, very helpful!  And I don't even have service yet -- but will definitely use PM as soon as I can. 

Benni2021

Thank you!

@Benni2021 wrote:

I just paid off my contract with my previous provider,  I'll get the bill May 7th.

Do I need to wait until then to start with Public? I want to make sure I'm able to get the same phone number. 

@Benni2021   Depends how long you have left in your current cycle with the other provider.

However, you can activate your PM account/SIM anytime you want and take a temporary number until you are ready to transfer your previous number which of course needs to be active at time of porting.    You will also need to keep your SIM from the previous provider in your phone to authorize the transfer text once it's received.  Then once the service stops with your previous provider, you can insert PM's SIM and reboot your phone.

BTW porting from Koodo prepaid and PC Mobile prepaid require moderators assistance for transfers, otherwise it can be done in the self serve account (My Account).

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I use an alcatel goflip 3 and it works fine here. Found it at BestBuy.

@Benni2021...

keep your old account activate until successful port to PM ...when port is complete, that account will close automatically.

Benni2021

I just paid off my contract with my previous provider,  I'll get the bill May 7th.

Do I need to wait until then to start with Public? I want to make sure I'm able to get the same phone number. 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Benni2021 wrote:

Lego ... That's exactly the one I'm getting! Ha!

Which one you were thinking to buy? I would suggest Artfone 3G, but you have to compare all of them and make your own choice.

EDIT: Artfone G3 Big Button Senior Flip Mobile Phone (Youtube Review)

Benni2021

Lego ... That's exactly the one I'm getting! Ha!

LEGO

@Benni2021 Here are a few more phones for you to consider: Artfone 3G Unlocked Flip Cell Phone & Uleway 3G Unlocked Flip Cell Phone

Benni2021

Thank you all so much! Your answers are appreciated.  I'll make sure I get a compatible phone.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Benni2021 

Regarding Phone Compatibility, make sure the device meets these requirements:

Minimum recommended phone specs:

• 3G UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)
  • 4G FDD-LTE: B4, B12

Currently VoLTE is not available and voice calls are only on 3G. SMS and data can work on 3G or LTE. Fastest data speeds are on LTE.

For LTE, these are all of the available bands on the network: 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 29, 30, 66. Some bands are available in some locations, others available elsewhere.

Any phone you are considering should ideally have 3G B2, B5 and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage. If your phone does not have all recommended bands, you may have poor coverage / no service / slow data in some locations.

For LTE: B2, B7 will give you faster speeds. LTE B5 will give better indoor coverage in some downtown urban areas. The rest are not really necessary.

Regarding how to port to keep your existing number:

Refer to this link below for more details on the porting process:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Benni2021...

what phone are you planning to buy ? An unlocked phone needs to be able to accept a sim from Public Mobile. Before you buy it, make sure it's compatible on PM network.

Edit, once you found the phone you want, get a sim from Public. During activation, you'll need to contact moderator to port your number to PM. Make sure to keep your old account active until port is complete.

Top of this page, click Get Started to review the steps.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

When you need live assistance during new activation, click here for live activation assistance.

LEGO

Yes it is possible. Something like this would work: flip phone.

When activating your new SIM card you will initiate number transfer from old provider to Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.