cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed - Wrong Number Ported

MeganElford
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

ETA - problem resolved itself 🙂

Hi, I just activated a new sim card for my daughter, and intended to port over her old phone number.  However, somehow the system sucked in my work number (?) and I'm not sure what to do next.  Calling the work number still rings my work phone, however, any calls/texts made from her phone are showing up as my work number.

What should I do?

5 REPLIES 5

@MeganElford wrote:

This community is amazing!!  Thank you so much for all the help!

Thankfully the issue resolved itself and is working perfectly now - my daughter's number is the one we wanted ported over, and my work number is working normally.

Thanks again for all the help!  So glad we made the switch to Public Mobile Smiley Very Happy

Good news!

MeganElford
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This community is amazing!!  Thank you so much for all the help!

Thankfully the issue resolved itself and is working perfectly now - my daughter's number is the one we wanted ported over, and my work number is working normally.

Thanks again for all the help!  So glad we made the switch to Public Mobile Smiley Very Happy

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MeganElford wrote:

Hi, I just activated a new sim card for my daughter, and intended to port over her old phone number.  However, somehow the system sucked in my work number (?) and I'm not sure what to do next.  Calling the work number still rings my work phone, however, any calls/texts made from her phone are showing up as my work number.

What should I do?

@MeganElford  The best thing to do is to let the moderator know but I'm afraid it might be to late. When the port completes your work number account will get closed. If that happens then you would need to port that number back out from PM so your daughters PM account will close. Maybe if you can call your work provider and ask them if they can terminate cancel the port request that will simplify things. If you can cancel the  port then you can contact the public mobile team and ask them to port the correct number.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

Good Luck...you're going to need it!!

@MeganElford wrote:

What should I do?

There has been some reports in the past of the Public Mobile mistakenly (either because of a website problem or a user error) porting in the alternate phone number, which is supposed to be just a contact point for Public Mobile to reach you if there is a porting issue.

If your daughters phone number was not on the same account as your work phone number, the port will actually fail.  Believe it or not, that is a good thing.  That means that the work phone number would stay where it already is.  If the two phone numbers (work phone number and daughter's phone number) were on the same account, that's where there could be problems as the port could go through (when you don't want it to).

This is one of th few cases where you might want to contact the old carrier - the work phone carier in this case - to make sure that they have not received a number porting request.  If they have received such a request for the work phone number, they should be able to tell you if they are going to reject the phone number transfer request because of incorrect account verification information.

As I said, in this case, you actually want the phone number porting to fail in this case.

Where it gets tricky is if the work phone number full transfers over to Public Mobile.  If it does, do not port a number into the Public Mobile account or you will lose that phone number.

In any event, the only people who can fix something like this is the moderators.  You can send a message to them using this link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MeganElford , this could mean one of two things.  The port can be in progress and will complete and your old service will terminate or the port could be stuck.  How long has it been since the port was submitted? 

If you are lucky, the port is stuck and you can contact the moderator team to submit the number you intend to port.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

If you are unlucky and port completed, not much you can do.

Need Help? Let's chat.