cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time to switch to PM

Pondball
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm hoping I have the right sequence down for switching from Fido to PubMob. I've been through as many of the tips and threads as possible but would appreciate if anyone could let me know if I've got it straight here.

Our daughter just gave us her old iPhone 6+... to replace one of our own... don't laugh... a Blackberry Pearl that we had been using with another SP (Fido). We want to be able to use the phone# we have been using (sporadically) with Fido. So, from what I have read we should:

• Get a PM Sim card... (just ordered from Amazon)

• Get an unlocked phone... (just received from daughter)

• Do not cancel service from Fido

• Order plan of choice from PM

• Port over our Fido number to PM during the setup process.

Q1. Right now the Fido plan is under my name, however we would like this new (old) phone to be under my wife's name... Is this possible... should it be done before choosing a plan or during the process... or can it be done after?

Q2. We don't know what service we will be getting but if it is good I will be upgrading my own phone (again no laguhter iPhone4)... to a new one and will choose a more substantial PM plan. I also have a sim ready ipad that I've been using with a mobile addon to my phone plan from another SP. If I don't get a small plan for it I will use HotSpot service from my phone.

Q3. Mostly I'll be using the phone for text, phone and some GPS while driving so suspect the $40 plan will suffice. Comments? I'm thinking one of lesser pans though for the iphone6+ as it will be used mainly for emergency while travelling and some texting. 

Q4. I'll be auto-paying but what happens when the card rolls over to a different expiry date? I don't want to have any loss of service in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

23 REPLIES 23

Pondball

@geopublic wrote:

@Pondball wrote:

OK... so now I'm getting a little pissed.

A couple of days ago I was just sitting down to sign up and the site changed. Ok... I can live with that as change is change. Throughout the process I've had a lot of help from other PM members here, which I appreciate.

So, I decided the changes notwithstanding I would take the dive into PM the other day. I filled in all the blanks, inserted my sim and pressed Activate... and was slapped back with a 404 - File not found page. 

I've been in computing for decades so I have a really good idea what that means. 😞

Got some more good advice from more members, some of them being the same members as before, and I also sent a message to the mods. I realize it could take days to get a reply from them and was willing to be patient. One suggestion from a member suggested trying again later and in private mode... which I just did.

However..... This time I'm not getting very far cuz it's telling me my SIM (that the other day did not show as being invalid) is now Invalid... and I can get no further. :<//

Not a happy camper here at all. I need to be up and running soon so am hoping this gets resolved, however I may not be able to hold my breath for as long as I normally would.

Just ranting at this point, but with good reason. I'm not a computer nor internet newb and I find the way this is turning out to be less than satisfactory. Is this what to expect in future... if I can ever get signed up?

@Pondball  From what you describe it sounds like your account was not provisioned correctly and will need to be investigated, reset by the moderator team. The fact that it displayed Invalid sim after waiting a day before retrying suggests that the sim/account has been partially activated and in a comma state. Moderators will be able to revive it. Hang in there!! Smiley Happy

Maybe a good idea to send them a follow-up message with the actual sim number that you used during activation.

Patience is definitely the order of the day when there is no telephone support. In this day and age of instant gratification even a day can seem like an eternity can’t it! 

However, I am pleased to report that once I did hear from the mods (Kudos to Katherine for her excellent communication) I got what was exceptional service. Through a series of timely communications she was able to resolve the problem I was having... sounded a lot like what you described as a partially activated account... and from what I can see I am now set up and ready to go. The only issue we still had was with porting over a  number from the dog company.

I may however try and take advantage of their $15 4Gb data plan for my iPad and just retain that phone number for that one. I’m not sure if they will allow only iPad plans without a phone account too.

Anyway, I know the mods system here takes a beating somethimes but I feel much better about the switch to PM after my communications last night from Katherine! 👏🏻👏🏻

@Pondball wrote:

A couple of days ago I was just sitting down to sign up and the site changed. Ok... I can live with that as change is change. Throughout the process I've had a lot of help from other PM members here, which I appreciate.

So, I decided the changes notwithstanding I would take the dive into PM the other day. I filled in all the blanks, inserted my sim and pressed Activate... and was slapped back with a 404 - File not found page. 

I've been in computing for decades so I have a really good idea what that means. 😞

Got some more good advice from more members, some of them being the same members as before, and I also sent a message to the mods. I realize it could take days to get a reply from them and was willing to be patient. One suggestion from a member suggested trying again later and in private mode... which I just did.

However..... This time I'm not getting very far cuz it's telling me my SIM (that the other day did not show as being invalid) is now Invalid... and I can get no further. :<//

Not a happy camper here at all. I need to be up and running soon so am hoping this gets resolved, however I may not be able to hold my breath for as long as I normally would.

Just ranting at this point, but with good reason. I'm not a computer nor internet newb and I find the way this is turning out to be less than satisfactory. Is this what to expect in future... if I can ever get signed up?

@Pondball  From what you describe it sounds like your account was not provisioned correctly and will need to be investigated, reset by the moderator team. The fact that it displayed Invalid sim after waiting a day before retrying suggests that the sim/account has been partially activated and in a comma state. Moderators will be able to revive it. Hang in there!! Smiley Happy

Maybe a good idea to send them a follow-up message with the actual sim number that you used during activation.

Pondball

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pondball 

Did the system take your money?

What happens if you insert the SIM?

You might need to manually set up the self-serve account after.

HI @Anonymous 
• no money taken yet (checked that after someone recommended that the other day)... and it's been a full day now since first attempt. 
• I have the SIM in the phone... and it has the message No Service in the top left corner.

However.... in the General settings it lists Public Mobile as as the Carrier... so it's recognizing  the SIM Card as being inserted... It does not provide a number anywhere on the phone though

Edit: Should probably add that I have tried to set up an account but it says it does not recognize the phone number (that I selected), or that I may already have created my profile already (that I suspect may have happened when I first registered and it gave me the 404 blahs!) So, I'm in a catch 22 with a self serve account right now too.

Edit 2: but wait... there's more! I also can't find where my private message to the Mods might be... It's not showing in my community account messages. Are these kept elsewhere? (Forget this question... found it under the Sent tab - but was hoping to add to the orginal email and there doesn't seem to be an edit button for sent emails)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pondball 

Did the system take your money?

What happens if you insert the SIM?

You might need to manually set up the self-serve account after.

Pondball

@Pondball wrote:

Still going here... have been caught up in business so haven't had a chance to sign up yet, but looking at the coverage map there are no Telus Towers between Toronto and Belleville, nor any along Hwy #7 from Peterborough to Ottawa... both areas I use a fair but. There are however a kazillion Bell towers.

• My understanding is that PM will use the Bell network if a Telus signal is not available? Correct

• Is it true that Telus uses the Bell Towers so there shoudln't be an issue with coverage? Yes, it is true Bell and Telus have a network co-sharing agreement.

• Are there roaming charges associated with any of this? Absolutely not. Your Canada Wide plan will cover calling, texting and Data across Canada without any Roaming fees. PM is strictly prepaid so you pay upfront for your plan and that's it it covers everything.

I'm leaning now towards a $40 self made LTE plan with 1.5G data and unlimited Nationwide calling and unlimited International text... at least until I get a newer phone... might wait a year for the newer iPhones (series 12). This would bring the 3 month plan to $135... which is like getting a month for free as compared to my current plan "a major carrier"... and with more calling included to boot.

@Pondball PM will save you money that's for sure. That's why we are all here. Smiley Happy

If your not planning to watch a lot of high end video, I'd consider the $40 3g plan to start. Try it for a month and see what you think. 3g works perfectly for me.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Pondball  you are correct that pm uses bell towers also and there's no roaming!  In the east it's bell and the west its Telus and they share the network so it's all the same. I'm in nova Scotia and it's all bell towers and everything works great!

Pondball

Still going here... have been caught up in business so haven't had a chance to sign up yet, but looking at the coverage map there are no Telus Towers between Toronto and Belleville, nor any along Hwy #7 from Peterborough to Ottawa... both areas I use a fair but. There are however a kazillion Bell towers.

• My understanding is that PM will use the Bell network if a Telus signal is not available?

• Is it true that Telus uses the Bell Towers so there shoudln't be an issue with coverage?

• Are there roaming charges associated with any of this?

I'm leaning now towards a $40 self made LTE plan with 1.5G data and unlimited Nationwide calling and unlimited International text... at least until I get a newer phone... might wait a year for the newer iPhones (series 12). This would bring the 3 month plan to $135... which is like getting a month for free as compared to my current plan "a major carrier"... and with more calling included to boot.

@Pondball wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Pondball  So your daughter called the previous provider and asked them to unlock the phone? 

Hmmm... just checked with her and the answer was a negative on the unlocked part... I suspect she is the only one that can then get it through unlocked? Can she do this by phoning her previous service provider. And if so, does she have to have the phone handy to do this? We like be hours away from each other.

@Pondball Yes, for iPhones there isn't a code she needs to call the provider to get it unlocked.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Find the IMEI of the phone, and the phone carrier, and contact the phone carrier to get a unlock code from them.

@Pondball wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Pondball  So your daughter called the previous provider and asked them to unlock the phone? 

Hmmm... just checked with her and the answer was a negative on the unlocked part... I suspect she is the only one that can then get it through unlocked? Can she do this by phoning her previous service provider. And if so, does she have to have the phone handy to do this? We like be hours away from each other.

Pondball

@geopublic wrote:

@Pondball Just use the iPhone's hotspot for the iPad. There is no useful data only plan anyway, though you could get a separate plan for the iPad if you wish. 

Given your description of activity stick with the "3G" plans and ignore the LTE ones.

Just in passing, your iPhone 4 will work on Public Mobile except for MMS/picture messaging. Be sure WiFi Assist is off to conserve cellular data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bridonca

Fido has a 4 GB tablet plan for $15.  If that is something you like, I would get that from Fido first before canceling, harder to get if you are not a Fido customer.

Once that is set up, you can port to Public Mobile, the $13 plan is my fave.  And just think, $28 gets you lots of data and lots of voice.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Pondball wrote:

I'm hoping I have the right sequence down for switching from Fido to PubMob. I've been through as many of the tips and threads as possible but would appreciate if anyone could let me know if I've got it straight here.

Our daughter just gave us her old iPhone 6+... to replace one of our own... don't laugh... a Blackberry Pearl that we had been using with another SP (Fido). We want to be able to use the phone# we have been using (sporadically) with Fido. So, from what I have read we should:

• Get a PM Sim card... (just ordered from Amazon)

Correct.

• Do not cancel service from Fido Correct.

Correct

• Order plan of choice from PM

Yes, activate the sim select plan and setup AutoPay and create selfserve account.

• Port over our Fido number to PM during the setup process.

No, during the setup process select a temporary number from your area code and once everything is setup the you can initiate the port via your online selfserve account.

Q1. Right now the Fido plan is under my name, however we would like this new (old) phone to be under my wife's name... Is this possible... should it be done before choosing a plan or during the process... or can it be done after?

No need to change your Fido because once you port out the number you only have to provide the Fido account#, Name on the account (your name) and the FIDO number you want to port out. During the PM activation phase you can enter your Wife's name.

Q2. We don't know what service we will be getting but if it is good I will be upgrading my own phone (again no laguhter iPhone4)... to a new one and will choose a more substantial PM plan. I also have a sim ready ipad that I've been using with a mobile addon to my phone plan from another SP. If I don't get a small plan for it I will use HotSpot service from my phone.

Sounds good. Keep in mind that the tab plan from the Dog Brand cannot be beat.

Q3. Mostly I'll be using the phone for text, phone and some GPS while driving so suspect the $40 plan will suffice. Comments? I'm thinking one of lesser pans though for the iphone6+ as it will be used mainly for emergency while travelling and some texting. 

The $40 will be more than enough for that. Honestly the $25 plan AutoPay enabled will also do the job. As for the iPhone 6 the $15.00 plan with a $5 500 minute Unlimited Canada Wide add-on or the $25 plan will work.

Q4. I'll be auto-paying but what happens when the card rolls over to a different expiry date? I don't want to have any loss of service in the meantime.

With AutoPay you just have to be pro-active. Once you enable it your will get the reward. Many customers choose to make the payment into their account a coupe of days before renewal using the credit card on file (via dialling 611 from their phone or online using selfserve). that way if there is an issue with the card it gives you time to make the change or to notify the moderator to fix. 

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Don't forget to get a referral to cover the cost of the first activation and then use your first activation for any subsequent activations.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle
One thing you didn't mention was an intake referral for the $10 reward when you sign up

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

JackQuint

Re: your question about service. Fido is Rogers, PM is Telus. In most urban areas you should see no difference in service quality. If you're talking about customer service, both Telus and Rogers are pretty brutal in the first place and PM is a third tier flanker brand (Fido is a second tier) so don't expect much of anything from PM. This forum does a pretty good job where it can, but the community experience (good or bad) should not be conflated with the service level provided by PM. 

From personal experiece I have never had nay issue porting in at time of activation.  Just use Name on account and account number.  Some do suggest porting after you select a new number with PM but that is a personal choice.  You have done your research I am sure you are aware of issues that could happen with either way you decide to go.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Pondball

lol... you're right... no Question in Q2... guess I was wondering more about what to do about my ipad that currently has a Sim Card and for $10 added onto my current mobile plan simply shares that plan... My choice would either be HotSpot or a separate data plan for the ipad... so Q2 = What would you do? especially as it would be used primarily in WiFi areas or for some texting when I don't have my phone with me

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Pondball hi personaly I would port my number after the sign up is done and I see if all is working you can then do your port in your self serve that you have to create ,keep your fido plan active till that is done  credit cards can be switched in your self serve, you seem to have the basic idea good luck!!

GR
Mayor / Maire

It's better to pick a new number with public mobile and make sure that one works good and then port your Fido number!  The name on the accounts don't matter. The 40$ plan would be good, if it's too much you can switch plans every month if u want! 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I LOVE THIS!!!  Someone that has done their research and laid out a plan and asking questions before!!

Q1:  Yes you can.  Your PM account could be the name of a family pet if you want as there is no identification verification required.  

Q2: Didn't see a question there

Q3: Your plans choice sounds good to me.  For you wife if it is just an emergency I would consider the $15 plan.  100 outgoing minutes unlimited incoming and unlimited texting with 250 mb of data

Q4:  You will be required to log in to your self serve and update your credit card information to ensure payments continue.

Welcome to PM!!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to PM!

You can update your credit card in the self serve account.

Need Help? Let's chat.