cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time on PM- SIM network unlocked for Samsung J120W( unlocked phone from Canada)

dreamboats198
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi all, 

I've just enrolled for a PM plan after a long time patron to Chatr-Rogers. I was able to complete the registration and porting of my number and the initial charge has also gone through succesfully. However, the moment I inserted the PM SIM and turned it on, I got a 'SIM NETWORK UNLOCK PIN' message with an option to type in a PIN and hit UNLOCK or DISMISS. I've gone through some of the posts from previous PM users and tried a multiple download options to unlock, all asking me to pay a fee for this service. I've never had to pay anything before when I moved to Chatr, neither had this issue before. I have a Samsung J120W unlocked phone bought from a Best Buy in Canada. Appreciate a prompt response as I need to access my phone. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

dreamboats198

@wetcoaster wrote:

@dreamboats198 wrote:

First time user on PM-Able to make and receive calls on PM now-unable to access the 'Add on data' which I paid $10 for 200MB-tried the APN instructions listed by earlier users with no result.

"Stupid" question: Is the add-on showing on your overview page or do you have the equivalent funds still in available funds? Purchasing an add-on is a two step process: First add funds to the account then go back and "buy the add-on again" from available funds.

And another "stupid" one: Have you rebooted the phone?

Did that APN auto-populate on inserting the SIM or did you manually enter them? You could take a screen shot and post it for a second set of eyes?

20190104_235814.jpg20190104_235831.jpg20190104_235848.jpg20190104_235859.jpgScreenshots attached

dreamboats198

The payment for both the phone and data add on has gone through so I know thats not an issue there. 

Yes, I have rebooted the phone multiple times- still no luck with the data.

Yes- the APN did auto populate and I added the ones pertaining to Samsung- screenshots attached in my previous reply.

@dreamboats198 wrote:

First time user on PM-Able to make and receive calls on PM now-unable to access the 'Add on data' which I paid $10 for 200MB-tried the APN instructions listed by earlier users with no result.

"Stupid" question: Is the add-on showing on your overview page or do you have the equivalent funds still in available funds? Purchasing an add-on is a two step process: First add funds to the account then go back and "buy the add-on again" from available funds.

And another "stupid" one: Have you rebooted the phone?

Did that APN auto-populate on inserting the SIM or did you manually enter them? You could take a screen shot and post it for a second set of eyes?

dreamboats198

@dreamboats198 wrote:

Thanks, I called Chatr and YES they were able to provide me that PIN and I could unlock the SIM. I am able to access my phone for calls  ( $10 plan for calls) but now the $10 Add On is not working for the 200 MB data. I tried the APN instructions listed in the community by others but its not going through. 

Any suggestions?

Network reset?

I'm not sure what you mean by "not going through"?

dreamboats198

Thanks, I called Chatr and YES they were able to provide me that PIN and I could unlock the SIM. I am able to access my phone for calls  ( $10 plan for calls) but now the $10 Add On is not working for the 200 MB data. I tried the APN instructions listed in the community by others but its not going through. 

Any suggestions?

BarryS

@wetcoaster wrote:

Some unlocked Samsung phones lock themselves to the first SIM / provider inserted. Since it's locked to ChatR they should provide the unlock code for free.

You can also contact Samsung via their chat to get the network unlock PIN.

@dreamboats198 Just to add to the above info., for most big service providers (Rogers, Bell, etc.) the unlock service is automated, so you don't even have to speak with anyone and it is done instantly and at any time.  Not sure how it works with Samsung but I would imagine it is similar.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Some unlocked Samsung phones lock themselves to the first SIM / provider inserted. Since it's locked to ChatR they should provide the unlock code for free.

You can also contact Samsung via their chat to get the network unlock PIN.

Need Help? Let's chat.