cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Sim Card?

LarisaDoiron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have set up an account for my son earlier today.  I have followed all the steps... and everything went well.  We have received the welcome letter and everything looks good.

However, when I put his sim card into his phone it says "no service".  

My own phone which I setup today works fine with Public Mobile.  When I take out my own sim card and put his in...I get the same thing..." no service".  This means that either the sim card is faulty or it somehow did not get registered properly.  I also tried to suspend and then activate his account as per some suggestions but to no avail.  What should I do?

52 REPLIES 52

LarisaDoiron

I am afraid to try...as this may mess up my son's Telus account and he will  be left without a phone.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Log into HIS account. Look at My Plan then open Plan Details.  What is the phone number?

@LarisaDoiron wrote:

Everything looks good in his account.  It's the correct plan.  However, when I call the phone number which I have selected for him, someone else answers...very strange.

Ahhh provisioning problem... new account was assigned a phone number that is already in use.

Since @LarisaDoiron  cannot request another new phone number right now (it's limited to one request every 30 days), 

I wonder if putting in your request to port your number from Telus would actually fix this issue.

Anyone care to chime in?

LarisaDoiron

Everything looks good in his account.  It's the correct plan.  However, when I call the phone number which I have selected for him, someone else answers...very strange.

88cranston

Look at My Plan....Details. 

88cranston

Put your sim in his phone and his sim in your phone. What happens? His phone acting up or sim acting up. Check his account number for phone number. 

LarisaDoiron

I tried calling his new number and someone else answered the phone.  It was a terrible connections but the man said that it is his number and that Public Mobile must have given me the wrong number.  I had selected this number from several that were offered to me when registering.  Yes, I had entered my referral code when activating his phone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@LarisaDoiron wrote:

Hello,

I have set up an account for my son earlier today.  I have followed all the steps... and everything went well.  We have received the welcome letter and everything looks good.

My own phone which I setup today works fine with Public Mobile.  When I take out my own sim card and put his in...I get the same thing..." no service".  This means that either the sim card is faulty or it somehow did not get registered properly.  I also tried to suspend and then activate his account as per some suggestions but to no avail.  What should I do?

@LarisaDoiron I don't think it's the sim. Sounds like your son's account was not provisioned properly and must be reset by the moderator team. Best to click on the ? Bottom right of your screen and type submit ticket sand then contact us and ask them to fix it for you.

@LarisaDoiron wrote:

My son has a plan with Telus.  I would like to change it to Public Mobile.  I did not want to port the phone number at the start as was suggested by many people so I got a new number for him and if everything went well then I was going to port his number.  However, the sim card doesn't seem to work so he is using his telus sim card at the moment.  He has received his welcome letter through email.

When you login to your son's self serve account, does the account show as active with the plan you chose added to the account?  If everything seems okay, then try selecting lost phone, logout, login again and now declare phone found.  Reinstall the SIM card into your son's phone, reboot the phone and see if that solves the problem.  

88cranston

First. Try to reboot (turn off and then back on) the phone with the Public Mobile Sim card in it. Also by any chance did you damage the card when seperating it. I did that once when I was having a problem pushing the NANO sim out and I used a Sim Card Ejector pin and actually did minute but noticable damage...and caused card to fail. 

@LarisaDoiron wrote:

I ordered it through Public Mobile website.  I ordered 4 sim cards as there are 4 people in my family.  I have activated my own phone with no problems this morning and ported my phone number from Telus without any issues.  However, having problems with my son's phone.  

Phone works-check Registration- check    What happens when you call his new number? What msg do you get? Did you enter your referral code when you activated his account?

LarisaDoiron

I ordered it through Public Mobile website.  I ordered 4 sim cards as there are 4 people in my family.  I have activated my own phone with no problems this morning and ported my phone number from Telus without any issues.  However, having problems with my son's phone.  

LarisaDoiron

My son has a plan with Telus.  I would like to change it to Public Mobile.  I did not want to port the phone number at the start as was suggested by many people so I got a new number for him and if everything went well then I was going to port his number.  However, the sim card doesn't seem to work so he is using his telus sim card at the moment.  He has received his welcome letter through email.

@LarisaDoiron wrote:

I tried my sim card in my son's phone and it works fine which means that it is definitely the sim card and not the phone.

Oh yes I see what you're saying now I had it the other way around. Where did you purchase the SIM card? If at a retailer you can probably do an exchange. If thru pm you need a moderator. Most SIM card manufacturers have a warranty against defects.

@LarisaDoiron hi yes it may be the sim or your new account didn't activate properly if you already messaged the moderators I guess it's a waitng game now good luck!!

LarisaDoiron

I tried my sim card in my son's phone and it works fine which means that it is definitely the sim card and not the phone.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LarisaDoiron wrote:

Hello,

You said you got the welcome letter? An email? Or a text? The phone has no service at all or has texting? Did you port a number or just start from new? If porting it could of failed or still in progress. Use the old providers SIM in phone to see what services he still has.

Or it's a phone issue.

LarisaDoiron

will13am,

I have a working phone with Public mobile myself.  When I take out my sim card which works fine with my phone and put my son's sim card... I get "no service" on my phone as well.  Which means to me that it's not the phone but the sim card.  I will however try it the other way around  and see if his phone works with my simcard.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@LarisaDoiron , could it be a faulty phone?  If you put your SIM card which works fine on your phone into your son's phone, it does not work also which to me indicates something wrong with the phone.  What model is the phone in question?  Is it SIM unlocked?

LarisaDoiron

Yes, I have restarted it several times but to no avail.

I have submitted the ticket to the mods...

@LarisaDoiron 

You could try to manually load $1 into your account. This sometimes resets your plan. 

SIM card rarely go bad. Likely something went wrong with activation 

kelvarnsen

Did you restart the phone after adding the Sim. If yes and it still didn't work you will probably need to submit a ticket to the mods. Click on the question mark thing at the bottom of the page and answer the questions it asks.

Need Help? Let's chat.