cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family plan switched me to public mobile

Melissa-H77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, we just received our SIM cards and just about to make the switch to public mobile. I know it is one email per account, our current plan is with Rogers in the family plan, we would like to keep the same numbers and would like to use the referral for the second number. My question is since we are on the family plan, if I transfer my number first and wait a few hours for Rogers to release my number and then transfer my husband number will that number still be available if Roger closes my account in the process of releasing the first number? Sorry if that seems confusing, just want to make sure I am going it right. 

11 REPLIES 11

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

Once again, thanks everyone! Switched both phone numbers over to PM. The process was very user friendly and took less then an hour. Ready to start saving money lol 🙂

Welcome to PM.  Enjoy your new mobile service with PM.

Ask if you have any question.  Anything you don't know may cause you money.  We are happy to share what we know.

Melissa-H77

Once again, thanks everyone! Switched both phone numbers over to PM. The process was very user friendly and took less then an hour. Ready to start saving money lol 🙂

@Alex888 wrote:
@Melissa-H77You should contact Rogers to make sure but if you only transfer one of the numbers it shouldn't cancel all of the numbers on the account.

I hope that you realize that accounts don't just randomly get cancelled.  Cell phone carrier accounts only get closed out if there are no remaining active services on the account.

Even if Rogers did manage to mess things up and close the account, it would just be a matter of calling them up to reactivate.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

Hello, we just received our SIM cards and just about to make the switch to public mobile. I know it is one email per account, our current plan is with Rogers in the family plan, we would like to keep the same numbers and would like to use the referral for the second number.

@Melissa-H77  Great, welcome to PM! Smiley Happy

My question is since we are on the family plan, if I transfer my number first and wait a few hours for Rogers to release my number and then transfer my husband number will that number still be available if Roger closes my account in the process of releasing the first number? Sorry if that seems confusing, just want to make sure I am going it right. 

Rogers will not close the account until both numbers are ported over to Public Mobile so you have nothing to worry about. My recommendation is to activate the second family member first. Activate the sim card with a temporary number and use your friend as the referral. Once that is done use selfserve and setup the port from Rogers. Once the port is completed and everything is working then setup your sim using your family's member phone number as the referral. Also good idea to select a temporary number while activating the second sim. Once everything is setup then setup your phone number port from Rogers. Once the port is completed the Rogers account will close and you should be good to go.

Again welcome to PM!Smiley Happy

Melissa-H77

Thank you, my friend referred me to PM, so I will be using her number but appreciate the offer!

popping

@Melissa-H77 

I don't have a Rogers family plan.  But I have a family plan with Cityfone which is owned by Rogers.  I ported one number out of my Cityfone family plan to PM without any issue and I still have my family plan with Cityfone.

Since you are porting out one number at a time, I don't think Roger will close your account since you still have a number in your account.  Correct me if I am wrong.

mimmo

Remember to use only the Roger's account number and the name on of the primary holder for both ports. 

Let someone in this thread know if you need a referal for the first number if you don't have one, as you will get a bonus 10$

Melissa-H77

Excellent, thank you! 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Melissa-H77 

I would recommend transferring secondary number first from the family plan.  Once that is port over, then port the primary number and that would close the Roger's account.  Use the first PM number as friend referral for 2nd number.  

Need Rogers account holder name, account number and phone number to port.  

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Melissa-H77 You should contact Rogers to make sure but if you only transfer one of the numbers it shouldn't cancel all of the numbers on the account.

So you know, if you are setting up autopay on your accounts some people have had problems with using the same credit card with multiple accounts that renew on the same day as the charges get flagged as possible fraud and may be blocked, it's best to stagger your renewal dates to keep that from happening.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@Melissa-H77 you should be okay. Also when you transfer the number start with the account that is not the main account holder, then move to the more important one.
Need Help? Let's chat.