cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed port over - please help!

Edmondmar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I went to London drugs last night and the guy helped me sign up for public, yet my Fido sim still works. Looks like it didn't port over properly! Can anyone help?! @CS_Agent

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

@mimmo wrote:

@computergeek541 I just ported a number from pm to Koodo though koodos self serve and their system is exactly the same. The outgoing number is assigned immediately and incoming only when complete.

Yeah, the whole Telus family does it like that. Personally, I just think it adds confusion.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 I just ported a number from pm to Koodo though koodos self serve and their system is exactly the same. The outgoing number is assigned immediately and incoming only when complete.

Thomasrs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey, you absolutely right this wouldn’t be useful for an individual to just gather the phone number. But the user did say they had service with the old SIM card (for a short time obviously). 2 factor authentication is where I see a risk could occur in that time service is working for the old sim.

Similar attacks have been used on targeting individuals who to access there accounts like crypto currency exchanges.

That is a great point about the Public mobile number porting that is a even bigger risk to get access to the number. Woah I can’t believe I even thought about that when I did it.

i still think it is just good practice to cut it up and know for certain there is no current or possibly future risk from that old sim

specifically when you change your phone provider. 

@Thomasrs wrote:

You'll still have coverage from your old sim till it runs out, remember to keep it safe and then take it home and cut it up. Some scammers can use old sims to perform identity theft.

But, as long as your Public Mobile sim is working and the account was ported with the number there isn't a worry. Just dispose of the old one properly.

Happy Calling!

How is a scammer going to use an old deactivated sim card to perform identity theft?  There isn't anything someone coild do with one these other to perhaps find out what the phone number was.  The sim card can never be used again.  What exactly would be worried about, other than perhaps someone dialing 911 with that old a card inserted and the phone number possibly showing to emergency services?  A scammer doesn't need someome's old sim card to get a phone number.

Ironically, since you speak about identity theft, Public Mobile's very own number porting program could aid in that.  This is because Public Mobile assigns a phone number to the account immediately upon request, before the old carrier can even respond.  Someone could even provide obvioisly fictitious number porting account information but still get free reign to make outgoing calls, seemingly from that phone number.  For that reason, I believe Public sbould only change the phone number on the account after the old carrier approves the transfer.  Saying that, there are easier ways to spoof a phone number and companies/banks should stop assuming identity based on call display information.  But, old sim cards being used for identity theft?  - no risk at all.

Yes, it sounds like you have a stuck port.  But at least we know your service is active.

Do you have access to your self serve account yet?  This is where you’ll get the information you’ll need to contact the moderators.

Edmondmar

@stonechucker so I put in the mobile sim. The data works..but it looks like as of right now I'm only getting texts from other public mobile members.. I don't get texts from other friends or family. I think this means didn't port over properly?

Thomasrs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You'll still have coverage from your old sim till it runs out, remember to keep it safe and then take it home and cut it up. Some scammers can use old sims to perform identity theft.

But, as long as your Public Mobile sim is working and the account was ported with the number there isn't a worry. Just dispose of the old one properly.

Happy Calling!

@Edmondmar, all that means is that the port hasn't processed yet (at best) or that as I've described, LD did not activate for you, and you'll need to activate now.

How much did you pay at LD?  If you paid more than the cost of the SIM, until you plug in your new SIM, you won't know if it's working or not.

Find out if calling, texting and data (all or any, whatever you may have paid for) is working, then we'll go from there.

If your phone still isn't unlocked, get that done first.  

Did LD give you any paperwork to say you've been activated?

Edmondmar

Thanks for your help. My only concern is that it didn't port over properly.. because my SIM card with Fido still works. I'm using it right now.  Is that concerning that my Fido sim card still works? I thought it should auto cancel once I port over successfully? @stonechucker

@Edmondmar, is your phone now unlocked?  If yes, insert the sim and see if it has network access.  Try to make a call with it.  But if London Drugs didn't activate, then you don't have an account yet.

Go to the website https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ and start the activation process.  If it's been activated, you'll know as the SIM will not re-activate.  

Once done the step above (or if your sim is already active) go to https://selfserver.publicmobile.ca/ and create a user account for your self-serve access.  There is a big sign up button on this page.

If LD did submit your info... inserting your sim should just work.  I don't know what LD did, as they can't submit info for porting, if the card isn't active.

Edmondmar

@stonechucker I went to London drugs, they gave me the sim card I didn't activate it yet because my phone was not unlocked. That's why I was unable to activate. But the worker there submitted my info in to public. What do you think my best next step is? Contact public? To see if they can try to re-port me over?

The SIM number will be on the punchout card with the SIM, if not directly on the SIM.  It's been a while since I've activated, and don't have a SIM ejection tool handy to check.

@Edmondmar, you said nothing about it not activating in your original post.  A totally different story now.

Were you told it was activated at London Drugs?  Did you purchase the sim card, and leave the store without activation?

If you activated in store, your SIM should at least show 'Public Mobile' on the screen when it's inserted.  Are you seeing anything different?

You'll need to explain further what's going on, as we don't know where you're at.  I thought you were already activated and had service.

Edmondmar

@stonechucker how do I figure out my account #? If my sim isn't active with public yet?

Edmondmar

How can I figure out my account #? When my sim with them isn't active?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Edmondmar wrote:

Hi there, I went to London drugs last night and the guy helped me sign up for public, yet my Fido sim still works. Looks like it didn't port over properly! Can anyone help?! @CS_Agent

Thanks!

If you just ported, it takes some time, every hour or so remove your battery / restart your phone. It can take time on your first port over and there can be weird issues for a short period of time.

If the issue continues you may have a partially completed port but most often ports just take a bit longer. One of the moderators can take a look, see if they need to do something to move it along.  Click this to send them a message

I know it can be a little frustrating to wait but send a message to the moderator team and include your name, account number and/or phone number and pin number and they will get back to you asoon as they can between Monday-Friday 9am-9pm (EDT) and Satuday-Sunday 9AM-7:30PM (EDT)

For more information about contacting a moderator Click Here

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Edmondmar wrote:

Thanks!

Is your phone showing "Public Mobile"?

If yes, your SIM card is activated.  

Is the LD guy ask your Fido account #, phone #, PIN # and the name on your Fido account?

Check your LD receipt - Is your name spelled correctly?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Edmondmar, if you are doing a cell line port, it should complete within 2 hours.  I think the port is stuck and will need to be resubmitted.  Contact the moderator team and have them resubmit the port.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

@drmartin, sadly you're wrong.  Ports normally take between 2-4 hours for cellular telephone numbers.  Landline and VoIP take 7-10 business days.

Due to the popularity of promos being made by Public Mobile, things are backed up right now, and support from the moderators have been delayed.  Normal response times are the same day, but regular expectations are up to 48 hours.

@Edmondmar, please continue to use the previous sim until it stops working, as your port hasn't completed yet.  Once it stops working, switch back to Public Mobile's.  If this continues more than a few more hours, please send a private message via the 'sealed envelop' icon in the upper right corner to Moderator Team.

You will need your PIN, PM Phone number, Account number, and any specific information regarding your port request.

Welcome to Public Mobile.

Edmondmar

It looks like landlines take longer than a cell phone. I ported over a cell phone! Been over 12 hours now!

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Edmondmar wrote:

Thanks!

Ports take about 8 days or so, just do a search to see other peoples experience. 🙂

Patience when porting! 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.