cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing phone

1946Buck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If i switch to public mobile from virgin mobile do i lose my contacts, gallery etc?

20 REPLIES 20

@kselmak wrote:

Hi @1946Buck 

Which phone do you have?

WARNING: I have seen people complaining that some newer models of Samsung do hard reset when switching the sim cards losing everything on their phones.

If you do have Samsung phone check if your model does that.

It's a good thing to make backup of your phone from time to time either way.

Welcome to pubic mobile

I don't doubt that this has happened to some people, but it should not be. This is only supposed to happen the first time that the first sim card has ever been inserted into the phone. While I have seen talk fo this happening, there are others who did not have this happen. The having a backup of everything is always wise advise.

@1946Buck  There are lots of small businesses that offer public mobile SIM cards and/or activations that will probably limit their locations to one customer at a time. Check out "find a store" for options near you. If you are in Vancouver you can accomplish this at go mobile repair and get a free SIM card if you activate in store.

@1946Buck                        Public Mobile currently is offering their SIM cards for $5 if you order it from the website or if you don't want to wait you can purchase one for $10 at many retailers like the mobile shop, London drugs, mobilicity and Wal-Mart (sometimes they insist on an in store activation....if that's the case insist on a free SIM card to activate in store!)

Make sure you keep your virgin account active and make sure you have your account number it is very difficult to find in your online account you may have to call customer service for it. If you are porting in your number you can do it at activation or take a temporary number and set up your service but currently you must get a moderator to port your number in for you if you choose to port it in after activation. Once ported your virgin account will automatically close.

@1946Buck if you would like to keep your virgin number and transfer/ port it over to PM. The virgin account must be active. So you can use virgin until you are ready to come over to PM. You can also add a voip app such as TextNow and use it over WiFi to make/receive / send calls and texts to anywhere in Canada and the US for free.

1946Buck

Ok thanks for the info and referal#. One more question.Due to the lockdown over the covid pandemic I dont want to go into walmart. If i order the sim card online ami out of a phone until this card arrives in the mail

You can take a closer look at the list of phones that do that here https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-smartphone-factory-data-reset-when-i-insert... 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@1946Buck 

Lucky you they just lowered the price of sim:)

If you don't want to wait you can walk into Walmart, sometimes they give free cards if you sign up there.

You can use your referral code in the store too.

Please make sure your old virgin account is active if you wish to keep it

1946Buck

Thank you for the heads up. I have a samsung G3 and it says its compatible

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @1946Buck 

Which phone do you have?

WARNING: I have seen people complaining that some newer models of Samsung do hard reset when switching the sim cards losing everything on their phones.

If you do have Samsung phone check if your model does that.

It's a good thing to make backup of your phone from time to time either way.

Welcome to public mobile

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@1946Buck 

You can buy a sim on-line at this link and it will be mailed to you or you can pick one up at places like London drugs or Walmart, etc 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

@1946Buck  Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile.. They're 30 plans are prepaid in advance so no additional costs to you and plan price does not change.

Don't forget a referral code for a $10 sign up bonus

1946Buck

Thank you. I am not happy with virgin so will try making the switch. Does your new sim card come in the mail? 

@1946Buck personally, I have had no problems with PM. But you do hear some stories here. My rate remains the same and this is a good place to troubleshoot problems. When you make the switch, come here for help if you need it.

Nefertiti66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Never had any problems, great company!

1946Buck

Thank you

1946Buck

Thank you

1946Buck

Thankyou that's good to know. Do you have any problems with public mobile? Virgin is continually upping my rates and sending fake bills

Nefertiti66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No you won't if you don't change your phone.  You can also keep your phone number if you register to Public Mobile before you cancel your plan with the other company.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No you do not. All that stuff stays on your phone. Now if you buy a new phone it would not be on the new phone until your transfer it over.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@1946Buck no, the items mentioned stay with the phone, if you are only switching SIMS.

Need Help? Let's chat.