cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entered wrong IMEI when opening account. How can I enter the correct IMEI?

johnbevrobinson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I entered the incorrect IMEI when opening my Public mobile account. All other information was correct and I can make calls and send text, but all incoming calls go to voicemail. How can I change my IMEI?

13 REPLIES 13

johnbevrobinson

FYI

When I set up my account I was working from my Rogers account contract and it had my old phone and my new phone IMEI. I entered my old phone, but had the correct unlock code for my current phone and when I installed the PublicMobile sim, I was able to unlock the phone and text send and receive, as well as call, but all incoming calls went directly to my Rogers voicemail.  Public Mobile

eventually called after about 5 hours of not being able to port the number and I was able to give them the correct IMEI over the phone and had it verified and then all was well.

Public DOES NOT have anyway to correct this on your own.

@popping wrote:

@DL888 wrote:

does it even ask for IMEI on sigup? I signed up 6 accounts, half were ports and don't remember entering IMEI.

If you skipping the steps from the steps from the Get Started link and go straight to activation form, you will not see the asking IMEI field.

Even that is just checking for comptability and IMEI status. It doesn't get linked to the new account.

@Lowufo wrote:

On the sign up where it asks for the serial number just type *#06# and enter that number

When signing up, IMEI isn't asked for. Anyway, since the member has already completed the activation, there is no way to go back to do it again.  Customers can use IMEI for number porting, but it's not required even for that most times.

@popping wrote:

@johnbevrobinson wrote:

I entered the incorrect IMEI when opening my Public mobile account. All other information was correct and I can make calls and send text, but all incoming calls go to voicemail. How can I change my IMEI?

It does not matter.  PM system will update its server with the IMEI number of the phone you are using anyway.

There is no IMEI entered during activation. IMEI is only for porting requet form. That can't be updated unless contacting mods.

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

On the sign up where it asks for the serial number just type *#06# and enter that number

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DL888 wrote:

does it even ask for IMEI on sigup? I signed up 6 accounts, half were ports and don't remember entering IMEI.

If you skipping the steps from the steps from the Get Started link and go straight to activation form, you will not see the asking IMEI field.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@johnbevrobinson yes it does take a bit of time to port!  And that's what it does when the port isn't finished! You'll either get a text saying the port is complete or 1 that says they need more information for the port

johnbevrobinson

Ok Thanks.

Maybe it just takes time to port everything, as only text in/out and calls out are working.  All incoming calls go straight to the old voicemail.

@johnbevrobinson  where did you enter that wrong number?  On my self serve account there's no place to put that imei number,  just the Sim card number or phone number that can be changed 

johnbevrobinson

No the problem is the actual equipment hardware number that I entered was from an old phone IMEI that I no longer have and I entered it by mistake.  I can not see how to get into my account and change IMEI only sim numbers after the account is active.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@johnbevrobinson do you mean when you port your number that you put the wrong numbers there?  It shouldnt matter but if you get a text from public mobile saying they have trouble completing your port that might be why!  Just message them and they'll fix it, you don't need the imei when you port as long as you have the account number 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@johnbevrobinson wrote:

It does not matter.  PM system will update its server with the IMEI number of the phone you are using anyway.

Need Help? Let's chat.