cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download text message

dpgroff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Some text messages only say that there is message, the size of it and the date it will expire.  And then the word download.  I can't figure out how to download the message.

19 REPLIES 19

@dpgroff wrote:

I restarted the phone and had my daughter send me a mms picture.  It worked!  It looks like the previous messages are not going to be accessible, but at least it should work going forward.  Thank you!

@dpgroff  Glad to hear. Good work!

dpgroff

I restarted the phone and had my daughter send me a mms picture.  It worked!  It looks like the previous messages are not going to be accessible, but at least it should work going forward.  Thank you!

@dpgroff   Did u restart your phone after you made the changes? Can you get someone to send you a MMS text?

dpgroff

Okay, I put all that in.  Triple checked it.  The only difference on my screen is that after APN roaming protocol I have something that says "APN enable/disable  APN enabled" but it is not highlighted.  

Should that now make those messages accessible (it doesn't), or will it only work on new ones going forward?  

By the way, thanks so much for the time you are spending on this!

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, It looks like your APN settings are not allowing a Data connection to receive an MMS text.

You could try , in  Network Settings menu screen, select the option "Access Point Names", touch the settings option in the upper right corner . Select "Reset to Default".   Go back to  "Network Operators" then select "Search Automatically" and wait a second for it to say something like "registered on network". 

Make sure data is on. 

I hope that helps.

@dpgroff wrote:

A checkmark comes up beside the message, but it looks like the only options are to delete the message or lock it.  I have no idea what lock it means.

I'm thinking it could be the apn thing, but don't know anything about it.  I can't find the setting for this phone.  It is really cheap one.  Alcatel u50

That phone runs Android 7 so you should be able to check the APN settings my selecting settings - Networks. You also have to make sure your data is on 

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone
Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

dpgroff

A checkmark comes up beside the message, but it looks like the only options are to delete the message or lock it.  I have no idea what lock it means.

I'm thinking it could be the apn thing, but don't know anything about it.  I can't find the setting for this phone.  It is really cheap one.  Alcatel u50

@dpgroff wrote:

It goes to a screen giving Message details:

Type: Multimedia message notification

Expires: (date it expires)

Subject (empty)

Message class: personal

Message size: 1KB

What happens if you long press any difference?

dpgroff

It goes to a screen giving Message details:

Type: Multimedia message notification

Expires: (date it expires)

Subject (empty)

Message class: personal

Message size: 1KB

@dpgroff  Is Download a link? What happens when you select it?

dpgroff

Screen shot as requestedScreenshot_20190510-122006.png

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@dpgroff wrote:

Some text messages only say that there is message, the size of it and the date it will expire.  And then the word download.  I can't figure out how to download the message.

@dpgroff   If you have changed the font size on your phone sometimes it truncates/hides the download button/link. Try reducing the font size to see if you can download the attachment MMS.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@dpgroff wrote:

@dpgroff There is no download function for your text messages. You can copy the text to google word and save for your future use. 

I suppose it wouldn't be considered downloading because moving it from your phone and saving it wouldn't necessariliy be using an internet connection. 

On Android devices, there is an SMS backup feature that saves messages to your Google account.  If someone were to restore such as backup, that would certainly qualify as downloading them.

Text messages can certainly be copied, and not just by copying the text, but rather the entire messages.  Many phones have software that allow you connect your phone to a computer and make complete back ups of your messages.

Depending on the device and the messaging software that you are using on your phone, SMS messages can also be copied and saved to your sim card.

However, I am suspecting that this question might not be about saving contents of text messages, but that the member probably has been notified of a MMS multmedia message (rather than a text message), and that the content (such as a picture)  hasn't been downloaded because of device capability or because data is disabled.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dpgroff wrote:

@dpgroff There is no download function for your text messages. You can copy the text to google word and save for your future use. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@dpgroff wrote:

@dpgroff   Can you post a screenshot? Minus any personal info of course.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dpgroff wrote:

The data is turned on.

Find your phone on this list:
Officially Recognized APN Reference

If your phone isn't there maybe these might work:
APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

dpgroff

The data is turned on.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You might need to set up your apn setting aswell if you are unable to vonne t to data

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dpgroff wrote:

Turn on data mode. It's likely an MMS. It won't consume data. It just needs to be on.

Need Help? Let's chat.