cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading my plan from $25 to $15/month

Blessedwon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I prepaid $300 for the $25/month plan.  I would like to downgrade my plan to the $15/month and would like to get the $250MB of Data. In order to get the 250MG of data I'm told I would have to sign up for autopay.  My question is, when I sign up for Autopay, will Public still take the $15 out of my prepaid bucket of $300?

Please advise.

18 REPLIES 18

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes

Blessedwon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks Gblackma, that was great!

Nuff said...

AE_Collector

My understanding is that the 250 MB cannot be turned off even if the customer wants it to be turned off. In fact, it has been requested by customers in the past and the moderator's response was that it cannot be turned off.

@geopublic wrote:

@AE_Collector  Just because it's listed doesn't mean it's true. 

The autopay thing may be true, but might not exactly something that customers want to advertise. If too many people figure stuff like this out, be prepared for a quicker fix.

@AE_Collector  Just because it's listed doesn't mean it's true. 

@geopublic wrote:

@Blessedwon  You will still get the 250 MB data without Auto-Pay.

$15 plan - 250mb of Data is a BONUS only if you sign on to auto pay. 

@geopublic wrote:

@Blessedwon  You will still get the 250 MB data without Auto-Pay. If you enable Auto-Pay you will get a $2 credit every 30 days so the cost of the plan will be $13 plus tax.

@geopublic 

How is that? The 250Mb of data is clearly listed as an Autopay bonus on the $15 plan. Something we (I) don’t know?

Autopay has to be set up but just like getting the $2 Autopay credit, renewals do not have to be charged to your card each month if you have an accumulated balance.

AE_Collector

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk 

Thanks for the advice I will do nothing as there is no dents. Also these were bought a long time ago like1.5 years ago and I didn’t buy any add ons recently except for the on sale data.

@brettster99 wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

I still have the promotional 400 min international add on

I also have the 200 min add on that I bought a long time ago and another 400 min international add on I also bought a long time ago (only 2 mins used on that one)

What do you suggest for me? 

You have

400 Min International x 2

200 Min US and Canada LD x 1

I would have bought for a bit more $ the 500 Min Canada Wide and not bothered with the 200 Min as the 400 Min handles your US calls at a lower cost per Min. 

But you have what you have. Would be interested to know if you run out of your plan Canada wide Min as to which add on will be used for any more Canada Calls and secondly if you call to USA what Add On will be used?

If you have not made any dents into your add ons...do nothing....if your 200 Min plan gets used up...then buy the 500 Min. as the 400 Min will pick up your US calls. 

My wife and I have never been heavy users of mobile phones. I had a corporate phone that was well used and my wife had a personal contract when we temporarily moved to another province to keep in contact with children. So my idea of insurance is in place BUT I too have the freebies and I bought a few GB of the $15 data. So until I see some serious dents in the add-ons we have a plan that is second to none. Me $7 and wife $13. I am a HAPPY CAMPER. 

brettster99

@LurganIeUk 

I still have the promotional 400 min international add on

I also have the 200 min add on that I bought a long time ago and another 400 min international add on I also bought a long time ago (only 2 mins used on that one)

What do you suggest for me? 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Blessedwon wrote:

Hi,

I prepaid $300 for the $25/month plan.  I would like to downgrade my plan to the $15/month and would like to get the $250MB of Data. In order to get the 250MG of data I'm told I would have to sign up for autopay.  My question is, when I sign up for Autopay, will Public still take the $15 out of my prepaid bucket of $300?

Please advise.

My Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan. Both my wife and I are low users of our $15 mobile plans but the one time cost of $25 makes our plans as good as any. And of course, once set up, one will have to manage these add-ons to keep the “GOOD COMBINATION” in place and maintenance cost should be minimal.

The add-on combinations below do NOT expire until minutes are used up.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.
2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes
1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 
=======
$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.
2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes
1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**
1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.
=======
$33 Total **The lesser value of the group

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on and the $15 add-on has International, USA and Canada while the only real use of the $8 add-on is for USA only calls.

Note 1: The add ons above I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.
The unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

Note 2:
Keep in mind the value of “Rewards that’ll lower your bill”.
Freebies that may be offered as in pre Christmas 2019 for 1GB of Data and 400 International Long Distance minutes.
Promotional pricing as in March 2020 (Covid 19 era) with 1/2 price 1GB Data that does not expire.
They treat us very well.

Note 3:
Other ways to save money.
If you have the option to call an 800 number, those calls do NOT deduct from your allotted minutes.
Use Wi-Fi Zoom, FaceTime Video or Audio only, and iMessage. I DON’T recommend the TextNow Voip App as it will be confusing for callers using a second number that may NOT be a local number.
Use a paid for VoIP service that is fully programable by you such as VoIP.ms with a LOCAL number, using Zoiper APP on mobile device using your VoIP.ms SIP. This will allow you to call out using Zoiper over wifi and you can program VoIP.ms to forward calls back to your PM account. While I have not tried it yet, you can assign a number to show on VoIP.ms for caller ID; and that could be your PM number. I would estimate a cost of $3-$4 a month and you would also have many many other options.

Copyrighted 2020

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Blessedwon keep autopay on and that "bucket" you have will last longer saving yourself 13% every month 🙂 

And if you hang out here and contribute you can make that into a 18% to 26% discount. I like to put it into percentages because sometimes that makes it look even better lol

Public applies your rewards then removes from funds and lastly will take from your autopay. 

Cheers

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Blessedwon , the order in which funds are taken to pay for renewal are:

1. rewards 

2. funds in account

3. funds from payment card

Since your account has plenty of funds your payment card will not be touched.  Also the use of auto pay will generate $2 of rewards that will be used first before account funds.  Effectively, each renewal will consume only $13 from the account fund balance.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Blessedwon  You will still get the 250 MB data without Auto-Pay. If you enable Auto-Pay you will get a $2 credit every 30 days so the cost of the plan will be $13 plus tax.

Even if you enable Auto-Pay the funds in your account will be used to renew your plan. Auto-Pay will be used only if you don't have funds in your account.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Yes they will @Blessedwon . The balance is always used first, before the credit card is charged. Here's an article on switching plans.  It's better to switch on your renewal date. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

Here's where to do it. 

20200416_143943.jpg

I'm on the same $15 plan you are switching to and to save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter it followed by #  - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used. 

Stay safe. 

brettster99

@Blessedwon 

Yes. They will take the available balance first and then when that runs out then gets charged on the card on file. As long as a card is registered you get autopay discount and the balance in account will come out 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Correct

They use balance first

You just have to register a credit card to get autopay, you don't actually have to use it or let autopay every occur.

Need Help? Let's chat.