cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does public mobile work in Europe?

EMCZ
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I travel to Europe every year.

I buy a simcard there (a new phone number), it is very cheep.

But I need to switch back to public network simcard sometimes, just to access my old number to get the safety codes to log in to secure sites, like Amazon busines site and such.

Is there a support for public mobile in Europe, or will there be in the future?

12 REPLIES 12

@kselmak wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

The adds are annoying, really annoying.  But what do you expect for free?

@stonechucker is there maybe a paid version or an ad-free premium subscription to remove them?  Just curious.

I’m sure there is, but other than paying for an American phone number to get a real experience, I don’t think I’d try it for too long.  The service is essentially the same as the SugarMobile from IceWireless.  An MVNO with a WiFi service which gets a real phone service, and can be used on a data only plan.

TextNow is a Canadian startup, it's Canadian company and you can get Canadian number.

In Canada you can go adfree for a fee (3 monthly)

But they can't offer the service to Canadians they are allowed to offer Americans, unlimited calls for 10, unlimited calls and 2g data for 20, 5g for 30 and unlimited for 40.

But jokes on a side, I suggested it just temporarily while you're away, nothing pops up unless you actually use it. I'm testing it and i totally forget i have it, it just reminds me periodically to use it so i don't lose the phone number, the reminder comes in form of sms, and i shoot myself a test sms and don't hear from it for another 2 or 3 weeks, i never had a full screen add popped up, just the banners in the app so far. I restricted the data so it uses only 21m per month. If i had ever requested a code to it i would probably enable background data temporarily, not sure if it would help, but i feel better when i do things like that, my own paranoia i guess:)

Thanks for ruining me about it being Canadian.  Much like the Ting MVNO in the US is a Canadian company that can’t operate here because MVNOs ar still not allowed to compete.  So many great options in the US, that would work well here.

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@stonechucker is there maybe a paid version or an ad-free premium subscription to remove them?  Just curious.

I’m sure there is, but other than paying for an American phone number to get a real experience, I don’t think I’d try it for too long.  The service is essentially the same as the SugarMobile from IceWireless.  An MVNO with a WiFi service which gets a real phone service, and can be used on a data only plan.

TextNow is a Canadian startup, it's Canadian company and you can get Canadian number.

In Canada you can go adfree for a fee (3 monthly)

But they can't offer the service to Canadians they are allowed to offer Americans, unlimited calls for 10, unlimited calls and 2g data for 20, 5g for 30 and unlimited for 40.

But jokes on a side, I suggested it just temporarily while you're away, nothing pops up unless you actually use it. I'm testing it and i totally forget i have it, it just reminds me periodically to use it so i don't lose the phone number, the reminder comes in form of sms, and i shoot myself a test sms and don't hear from it for another 2 or 3 weeks, i never had a full screen add popped up, just the banners in the app so far. I restricted the data so it uses only 21m per month. If i had ever requested a code to it i would probably enable background data temporarily, not sure if it would help, but i feel better when i do things like that, my own paranoia i guess:)

@srlawren wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The textnow app would seem to be an option, as it will work on Cellular and WiFi data.

@EMCZ, just remember although PM is available for use in the US, you will need to add roaming add-ons to do so.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Just curious did you try using textNow for those codes? They give you Canadian phone number that you could tie to your accounts prior to leaving and maybe remove once you're back. You get also unlimited calls and texts. I believe it's worth trying out.

Cheers

EMCZ

Amazon doesn't have an alternate security number. They ask for a copy of your drivers licence to proof that it's you. And it can take up to 2 days. 

I will just have to remember the next time, before I fly, to switch my simcard to the EU, and change al the security code numbers on all sites before I fly.

I wish I knew this before switching to Publicmobile.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@EMCZ wrote:

I travel to Europe every year.

I buy a simcard there (a new phone number), it is very cheep.

@EMCZ  Agreed the rates in Europe are really cheap Smiley Happy

But I need to switch back to public network simcard sometimes, just to access my old number to get the safety codes to log in to secure sites, like Amazon busines site and such.

Is there a support for public mobile in Europe, or will there be in the future?

Usually those sites allow you to setup temp one-time codes or adding an alternate number for verification purposes. I don't think there are any plans for PM to support this in Europe or anywhere else other than NA.

@EMCZ wrote:

So I am told Public mobile will only work in Canada and States.

Yes, you can send and receive text/calls  internationally while in Canada or US only.

EMCZ

So I am told Public mobile will only work in Canada and States.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not offer roaming except in the US.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@EMCZ  hi in a word no Smiley Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.