cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does calling a toll free number use up your outgoing call minutes?

tonyh98
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I read conflicting answers on this forum, some say no, some say yes. Can I get an answer from a customer support at public.

26 REPLIES 26

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Next day has arrived and my toll free call has not added to my minutes.

@Anonymous wrote:

Do the same testing when your plan renews and see if the plan minutes consume. Maybe the add-on doesn't.

I'm actually sitting at 0 minutes of my 100 at the moment, and did indeed test as part of my earlier posts and saw no increment with refreshes. Even during the call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy wrote:

Just to make sure, I called the same toll free numbers again just now and the 8 minutes of additional add-ons remained at 8 minutes.  I'll check the 8 minutes again tomorrow just to make sure there's no time lag or anything like that.

The front page overview counter is generally immediate.

Do the same testing when your plan renews and see if the plan minutes consume. Maybe the add-on doesn't.

@nimapishva 

Toll free is not the same as airtime free.

At least traditionally, airtime was still consumed on cellular calls even if there was no toll charge. It is nice that there is a quirk that TF also equals ATF with PM at this time though.

@computergeek541 apparently Telus Prepaid and Koodo prepaid also do not consume airtime for TF calls...

@nimapishva wrote:

calling toll-free numbers won't use up your outgoing call minutes, hence why they are toll-free. Hope this helped!

The reason for the calls not using up minutes isn't because they're toll free. More likely, Public Mobile has not coded the billing system to count these minutes properly.  In the cellular service industry, toll free does not mean free to call. It only means no long distance charges. As to why Public Mobile does not count these as minutes used, I would say it might be best not to get to far into that. What I will say is calling a toll free number at others carriers does use up minutes. I can't actually think of another company other than Public Mobile where toll free can't don't.

nimapishva
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

calling toll-free numbers won't use up your outgoing call minutes, hence why they are toll-free. Hope this helped!

Nima

mobileguy

Just to make sure, I called the same toll free numbers again just now and the 8 minutes of additional add-ons remained at 8 minutes.  I'll check the 8 minutes again tomorrow just to make sure there's no time lag or anything like that.

@mobileguy  Thanks for checking/confirming - always good to stay on top of any changes that might quietly happen! 😁

mobileguy

After checking again, I don't believe the toll free calls counted towards my usage.  Thanks.  I'll re-edit my first post.

@mobileguy wrote:

Maybe some 8XX numbers count towards minutes and others don’t?

I'd love to know if you've found an 8xx TF number that consumes minutes on Public Mobile. I've yet to see that. And I've made many calls and test calls....

mobileguy

Maybe some 8XX numbers count towards minutes and others don’t?

@mobileguy wrote:

I no longer see my regular monthly plan usage for the 100 minutes but I do see that 8 minutes have been taken from my Additional add-on.

Try a test call to a toll free number for 30 seconds or so... ie 800-444-3333 (will read back your caller ID)

After the call, you should still be sitting at 8 minutes of your add-on used.

mobileguy

I added up all my calls in minutes rounding up with period starting today and backdating back to the beginning of the monthly cycle.  Total of 108 minutes.  I no longer see my regular monthly plan usage for the 100 minutes but I do see that 8 minutes have been taken from my Additional add-on. No biggie for me as I rarely go over my 100 minute usage.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to recall seeing the counter increment _during_ a toll-free call and then it drops back down after. Again YMMV. Official or bug. Seems your provisioning has captured the official.

But then as will13am says, it's not a lot with the $5 add-on. And what with the 15 hours of free LD gifts these past two Xmas's and the almost 17 hours for some this past summer...well...

@mobileguy wrote:

I'm on the $15 plan and I made a few calls to toll free numbers with 855 and 877 and the calls used up my minutes.

Did you compare your available minutes on the overview page before/after those calls, or are you looking at the "View Usage" log?

The usage log will show all calls and length, but does not distinguish which calls consume minutes and which don't. For that, the only way is to monitor/compare the usage on the overview page after such a call.

mobileguy

I'm on the $15 plan and I made a few calls this month to toll free numbers with 855 and 877 and the calls used up my minutes.

@Anonymous wrote:

@tonyh98 wrote:

Wait so it does or doesn't lol, one user said it doesn't use it for 800 number and other user said it does

There are glitches and bugs around here. Again YMMV.

@Anonymous , i had to look YMMV up! HA-now I know = "Your Mileage May Vary"

You learn something new everyday 🙂 Thanks for adding more acronyms to my vocabulary. 😛

Load up your self serve overview page.

Make a test 800 call.

Afterwards, refresh the same overview page and see if the used minutes counter has changed, and you'll have your answer.

Currently, while not officially stated by Public Mobile, we are observing these calls NOT use airtime minutes.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tonyh98 

It may be account dependent. Test your account.

I have a $10 50/50 plan.  All my outgoing and incoming toll-free number calls are not counted toward my plan minutes.  I was cut off early on an outgoing call to a toll-free number.  They called me back using a toll free number and we talked about 30 minutes.  I checked my usage after those calls.  Both outgoing and incoming toll free number calls did not counted toward my plan minutes.  

If you ask me, it has not failed once yet.  As @will13am pointed out, it is only 1 cent/minute.  I am happy to pay the charge if I am not at home.

@tonyh98 

This past week I spent at least 4 hours on hold with Footlocker, Adidas, UPS. Fedex. 800, 855, 888. They all worked with no issues.

I'm on $15 plan. No minute's used.

Hope this helps you!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tonyh98 , no it doesn't but then again we are talking about a penny a minute.  I suppose it could add up when on a wait list.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tonyh98 wrote:

Wait so it does or doesn't lol, one user said it doesn't use it for 800 number and other user said it does

There are glitches and bugs around here. Again YMMV.

tonyh98
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@tonyh98 

@Anonymous is right

It should but I can confirm that it doesn't. I can positively confirm for both general forwarding to any number or calling 800 my yard minutes didn't go up

Glitch probably comes from the fact that when your calls are missed and forwarded to your voicemail you will not be charged. 

So even if they fix the glitch and 'all calls forwarded' option gets 'charged' when enabled in your call settings, most likely 'missed/busy/unavailable' calls would most likely still be forwarded for 'feee' (ie. not counted)

Note: if you go to USA and your sim makes contact with att/TMobile tower your forwarding will be roaming and if you don't purchase roaming it will not work, you must take out your sim or go to airplane mode

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@tonyh98 wrote:

I read conflicting answers on this forum, some say no, some say yes. Can I get an answer from a customer support at public.

You won't be using your minutes to call an 800 number. We are all just PM customers, just like you here in the Community Forum.

Welcome aboard.

@Anonymous... got here first...again.

My bride has downgraded to the $15 plan with limited calling several months ago. She reports no loss of minutes when calling the 800 Gov't of Canada numbers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tonyh98 wrote:

Officially yes. But some have reported that they don't. YMMV

Edit: @tonyh98 : it's not specifically mentioned but it would be captured in the catch-all "Making a call".

Need Help? Let's chat.