cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if I can get a free SIM and also if you can choose your own phone number?

jackal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm after a particular number. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@jackal wrote:

I'm after a particular number. Thanks.

If the number is active - you already have it linked to a SIM from another Canadian provider - then you can port it to another Canadian provider (like Public Mobile) at no cost.

If the number is active - but you are not the "owner" - then you can't take it. Unless maybe you call the "owner" at that number and negotiate some kind of person-to-person deal.

If the number is not active - you already have it linked to a SIM from another Canadian provider but it's inactive/suspended because you haven't paid your bill - then you must reactivate it (pay up) before you can port it to another provider. The CRTC rules for number porting requires service to be active. Inactive accounts will eventually be terminated (usually 90 days after last billing cycle expired), then the number is deallocated (then held off limits, nominally for six months, sometimes much longer, sometimes only weeks), then eventually recycled to a new subscriber. If things have reached this point then the number is basically lost to you forever.

If the number isn't part of the Public Mobile (Telus) calling blocks - it's from a different area code, different prefix code, different provider - then the best you can do is request a "similar" number which has the same last digits.

You can always message the PM Moderators or open a support ticket with Simon chatbot to request a specific number. No guarantees.

DanielWOW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Unfortunately, you only have the option between 3 numbers and cant request certain numbers, as for the free sim just keep an eye on promos for the sim

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jackal 

Once in while, London Drugs have free PM SIM if you have them activate the SIM for you.

As noted by others, you can’t pick a specific number but can pick a list of numbers available when you activate the SIM.

analiseb16
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I purchased my SIM card on the public mobile website it was $10 and they gave me an extra SIM card for free to give to a friend.
Also, I don't think you can choose your phone number but if you have the number activated on another phone already, you can transfer the number to a new phone/ to your public mobile SIM card. You can also choose to pick a new phone number but it is from a list of like 5 numbers that will all have the same area code.

@jackal 

Lol....its not a 604/778-733-XXXX ? Number is it?

@jackal 

Start your search here....

https://www.npanxxsource.com/

@jackal 

Canadian Cell Supplies offers a free sim card and up to 40% off your first month in their bundling discounts. Walmart usually does but not a fan. Some members offer a free sim card with an understanding but you would want to be in the same city preferably.

I can find you a reference for telephone exchanges I just have to remember the name of it.....which will really help your search. You can change your number up to 4 times every 30 days. So you can pick a number to get started and then hunker down in your self serve account and start looking for your desired phone number.

Care to share the exchange or the city you are looking for?

Anonymous
Not applicable

if you want to Changing Your Number

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. To change or transfer your number after activation, go to your Self Serve Account here and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jackal : Forget what? Scroll up and I've supplied some explanations. tl;dr only what's on offer.

Edit: What part of the number are you wanting? Area code - prefix - last 4 digits. If you can tell us the area code and prefix we can tell you if it's a Telus family number. But even then I'm not sure how amenable the company is to giving numbers from Telus or Koodo.

jackal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Answering my own question on SIM cards. $5 SIM cards available on Amazon and Canadian Cell Supplies.

Anyone know if I can choose my own number? I forget.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the offer Plan - Public Mobile with FREE SIM Card

Too easy buy it online or in store visit Here , or Pickup 1-2 Hours. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Free SIM .. possible with activation.  you can try local kiosks like Walmart/London Drugs

Phone number, no,you cannot really choose.  But if you have the patience, you can try going through the list of phone number list provided by Change Phone Number on My Account.  But I think they only provide 5 at a time.  Lot of works and you need some luck.  Of course, if you can get it elsewhere, you can port your number into PM

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jackal : Some retailers will give you a SIM if you activate with them. All providers have their own pool of numbers allocated to them after the area code. The activation process will take you to the number selection screen. But it just refreshes a list of numbers they have. You can only choose what's on offer. If you need a specific prefix and then a specific last 4 digits then you'll need to refer to a reference of who owns that prefix and then try calling the last 4 digits. If Public Mobile/Telus doesn't offer that prefix then this isn't the right place.

Need Help? Let's chat.