cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Public Mobile support Android Oreo 8.1 Devices?

Wattsy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My question does Public Mobile support Android Oreo 8.1 Devices?  I have discovered that Android Oreo 8.1 does not allow the phone owner to change, edit or add APN’s and their APN settings.  That Google has set this up so that only  service providers can do this.  In the case of my phone that came laoded with Android 8.1, the Public Mobile SIM Card when inserted both the Telus and Koodo APN's set up automatically but not Public Mobile. When does Public Mobile plan to address this issue?  My only choice at this point is to switch to either Koodo or Telus however my preference is to stay with Public Mobile as everthing has gone smoothly todate.  Additionally your compatibilty checker does not catch this change in  Android 8.1 devices. 

4 REPLIES 4

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My OnePlus 5t is on Oreo 8.1 and will be Pie when they finally release it in the stable builds. It was 8.1 when I switched from Chatr to Public a few months back.

Your issue seems to be isolated to your specific device. Some devices are more restrictive than others when blocking certain sections of the phone. For example, the Wear24 Smart Watch is locked to Verizon bands only.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My Blu Vivo XI+ uses Android 8.1 and it works perfectly. Data is fast on my device. It really depends on the manufacturer preference.

@Wattsy wrote:

My question does Public Mobile support Android Oreo 8.1 Devices?  I have discovered that Android Oreo 8.1 does not allow the phone owner to change, edit or add APN’s and their APN settings. 

There is no blanket statement as to whether an Android 8.1 device will work with data at Public Mobile. There are some that do not because of the lack of ability to edit or add a new APN.  I think I read that some of these devices included some Asus Zenfone series models and the Essential Phone.

There are Android 8.1 devices that do work.  It really depends on the software installed by the manufactuer.  I know for sure of at lest 2 models (and there are many others that will work as well) that do work fine with Public Mobile's data.  The Moto x4 (u.s. variant) and Samsung Xcover 4 (Canadian variant) work fine right out of the box.  In addition, while both are running Android 8.1, they do allow users to add new APN settings from scratch, although they don't allow you to edit the existing one.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Wattsy

I have seen threads 8.1 related questions..do a search on andriod 8.1 there are threads with solutions that may help you .

Need Help? Let's chat.