cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need ID to get the $10 plan at Walmart?

pollock
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you need any ID to buy/activate a SIM at Walmart in Toronto?  I want to get the $10 plan with the "free sim + $20 credit" deal.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@pollock, $10 deal? It should be $20 deal! Public Mobile is offering a $20 credit for talk and text plan activations at Walmart.

Public Mobile has a new promotion for users that are looking to set up a talk and text plan. The deal offers users a $20 credit and free SIM card when they sign up for a 30 or 90-day talk and text plan at Walmart. The offer is available until June 30th. To get a free SIM card, users have to activate at Walmart. Taking the card home to self-activate it or ordering the card online will cost $10.

How to Get this Offer:

• $20 account credit: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card on a 30 or 90-day Talk + Text plan at a Walmart location from now until June 30, 2018, you will get a $20 account credit!
    • Eligible customers will be credited within 72 hours. These credits will count towards your next renewal date.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message when the credit has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.
  • $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate on any 30 or 90-day plan at a Walmart location.
    • If you wish to pick up a SIM card in-store and activate at home, you will be asked to pay the regular retail price by the retailer.
    • SIM cards purchased online will be regular price ($10 each)

Read more at MobileSyrup.comPublic Mobile is offering a $20 credit for talk and text plan activations at Walmart

*edit - it might also be to force the user to agree to terms of service, since if Public signs up someone under the age of majority it opens up a huge can of worms (eg legal refunds)

Although you are not required to run a credit check etc if you activate the plan in store the employee will ask you for ID

This is the same on all carriers when activating prepaid (although most skirt the issue with online activations by requiring a credit card for someone not in store)

There was a reason for this and it existed long before wireless code (probably trying to make it harder for people to use burner phones or 911 address verifications?)

You do need to provide a working email address, I think.  It's needed to register a new account on PM Self-Serve.

If you're concerned about privacy then just create a disposable email account to give Walmart, then login to Self-Serve and change it later.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@pollock No ID required. Just go and get the plan.  

Need Help? Let's chat.