cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Telus phones need an unlock code to use PM

jclaydon2018
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just recently tranfered to Public Mobile, and depending on how i like the service, i may recommend it to a friend of mine at the end of the month.  So far, I'm not encouraged - with the delays in the moderator system, it tooke me 4 days to transfer my phone, and i'm still waiting to see if the transfer was completely successful.

Anyway, my friend has a Telus phone that he bought on a 2 year plan, so i imagine it's locked.  Would he still need an unlock code to use PM even tho it's the Telus network? Does Telus charge for the code?

thanks

-James

9 REPLIES 9

@Respublica wrote:

In general, under the same goup of company, no need to unlock.

Perhaps the biggest exception to that, even for some fairly recent models, is Rogers and Fido iPhone devices.  Those devices almost never worked for both unless the phone was first unlocked.

It is true that most/virtually all (but not completely) all Telus and Koodo phones work in with sim cards from either of those brands and with Public Mobile sim card without unlocking.  However, this is not 100% absolute.  There have been a few reported cases from customers of phones working with a Telus sim card but asking for the unlock code after inserting a Public Mobile sim card.  I experienced this first-hand when playing around with a friend's Koodo phone. My friend had a Samsung device long ago (I believe it was a Galaxy Ace) and if you inserted a Telus sim card, you were required to typed in the NCK network unlock code.

Respublica
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In general, under the same goup of company, no need to unlock.

For example if you are with Rogers and moved to Fido, you can use the same phone and it will work with the Fido network which is Rogers network anyway. Chatr, Rogers and Fido share the same network

The same with Telus, Koodo and PM.

mahsere
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Telus = Koodo = PM  .. any phone work in one of these carriers will work for the other without any issure and no need to unlock code  .  welcome to PM 

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I ported by dad over to PM last week from Telus prepaid plan. No issues at all. The phone worked immediately after porting. 

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

even though you don't need an unlock code, you can and should get one if it is locked. You can do that by messaging the mods here at PM, and don't need to talk to telus at all.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SD08 wrote:

A Telus-locked phone can be used without unlocking on PM, as they share the same network.  Even if you needed to unlock it, by law, carriers are required to perform that operation free of charge now for any phone they have provided.

^This.

Welcome to PM OP.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

A Telus-locked phone can be used without unlocking on PM, as they share the same network.  Even if you needed to unlock it, by law, carriers are required to perform that operation free of charge now for any phone they have provided.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jclaydon2018 wrote:

I just recently tranfered to Public Mobile, and depending on how i like the service, i may recommend it to a friend of mine at the end of the month.  So far, I'm not encouraged - with the delays in the moderator system, it tooke me 4 days to transfer my phone, and i'm still waiting to see if the transfer was completely successful.

Anyway, my friend has a Telus phone that he bought on a 2 year plan, so i imagine it's locked.  Would he still need an unlock code to use PM even tho it's the Telus network? Does Telus charge for the code?

thanks

-James

No Telus phones do not need to be unlocked to work on PM they are the same network.

ETA:  If this phone was purhcased after December 2017 it would already be unlocked.  If purchased prior to the carriers are required to unlock for free.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.