cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to turn off my phone(s) during the number porting process?

andy123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm currently using 2 phones right now.

One is with my old carrier (Telus Prepaid) and the other is with Public Mobile.

For simplicity, I will refer to them as the Telus phone and Public Mobile phone.

I have already successfully activated and tested the Public Mobile service.

(everything is working properly)

Now I want to port my Telus Prepaid number over to Public Mobile.

My Telus Prepaid account is still active and I have the required information for porting.

But I was wondering, should I turn off any of these phones before doing the number porting process?

11 REPLIES 11

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When we ported our number we left both phones on.  Within a couple of minutes the porting of the number was completed and we were able to use the phone.  

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@andy123 

@andy123 wrote:

I'm currently using 2 phones right now.

One is with my old carrier (Telus Prepaid) and the other is with Public Mobile.

For simplicity, I will refer to them as the Telus phone and Public Mobile phone.

I have already successfully activated and tested the Public Mobile service.

(everything is working properly)

Now I want to port my Telus Prepaid number over to Public Mobile.

My Telus Prepaid account is still active and I have the required information for porting.

But I was wondering, should I turn off any of these phones before doing the number porting process?

Welcome to  PM

As everyone has already mentioned, you don't need to turn off the phones.

once you fill out all the porting information. The other phone number will stop working on the "Telus phone".

It should only take a few seconds if not minutes for the port to be switched over if everything is entered correctly at the porting screen

Porting Tips:

• Double-check all the entries before submitting it.
  • Many carriers use hyphens and other separators in displaying the account number on the bill.  When it comes to entering it into the porting screen, these separators are not to be included. 
  • Enter the name as exactly showed on Telus's bill

CheersSmiley Happy

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@andy123 Keeping both phones on is ideal. Once your Telus phone stops working it means that the port is 100% done.

llnguye1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Usually no but once it's ported doesn't hurt to try. Just to restart and refresh your phone.  They message you when it's complete

@Wiggly wrote:

It is not necessary to turn off any of your phones.   I did reset my network settings once I ported my number over just to ensure everything updated properly. Congrats on the move. 

Occasionally, a device restart is needed before everything works.

Wiggly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It is not necessary to turn off any of your phones.   I did reset my network settings once I ported my number over just to ensure everything updated properly. Congrats on the move. 

scorpio17
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No need to turn off any phone. It is even better to turn them on. You will receive SMS from Telus about porting process.

@andy123 wrote:

farmbot

Porting happens fast from Telus prepaid to Publicmobile. Publicmobile plans let u enable data at 

A reasonable cost. Let smartphones be Smart. Welcome to a better place. 

iPhoneUser

@AE_Collector wrote:

No, just let the porting process do it's thing. No issues.

i ported my wife's TELUS prepaid to PM a yearborcsonagonand it took less than 1 minute to be 100% done... ready to go.

AE_Collector

Me too....Telus to PM in less than a minute. Provide as much info as possible. Porting will close your Telus account. 

@andy123 wrote:

It doesn't matter. Your sim cards don't even need to be in phones during the porting process.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

No, just let the porting process do it's thing. No issues.

I ported my wife's TELUS prepaid to PM a year or so ago and it took less than 1 minute to be 100% done... ready to go.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.