cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to change my number?

Alan53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Moving from Alberta to Nova Scotia. Yes, I realize they have different area codes. Do I need to change my number?  If not, what are the plusses / minuses of  (not) doing so?

10 REPLIES 10

RCR
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Other than local people possibly incurring long distance charges you can keep your number!

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you can tolerate having two numbers and a separate dialer, you can do both.

1) keep the Alberta number to save on sales tax.

2) Install a WiFi app like Fongo for NS. Will also work with cellular data and I *think* it's free, if you limit it to mobile. Or you can hard wire it to a modem/router and use it as a landline in addition to mobile -- in which case there's an initial cost for the box and a monthly of under $5.00. Truth is, I prefer Ooma, but the setup was slightly more expensive. (Also provides a handy backup for those times when PM accidentally shuts off your phone.)

kelvarnsen

I used to know a guy who moved from the Northwest Territory to Ontario. He kept his NWT number because not only was the sales tax lower but he also didn't have to pay the 911 fee that his carrier would have charged for an Ontario number as NWT has no 911.

Alan53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

NICE! Excellent advice and assistance. Thanks everyone. "Problem" solved.

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Would keeping an Alberta number mean paying Alberta sales tax? Not paying an extra 10% in provincial sales tax would be one plus. Although for most of the plans PM offers it would only amount to a few bucks a month.

+1.  If you hate your provincial government, keeping the Alberta number is a small protest.  I have tablet plans that don't ever make or receive calls.  They have Alberta numbers to save on tax. 

kelvarnsen

Would keeping an Alberta number mean paying Alberta sales tax? Not paying an extra 10% in provincial sales tax would be one plus. Although for most of the plans PM offers it would only amount to a few bucks a month.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Alan53 wrote:

Moving from Alberta to Nova Scotia. Yes, I realize they have different area codes. Do I need to change my number?  If not, what are the plusses / minuses of  (not) doing so?

@Alan53 Honestly you are better off just getting a new NS number makes it easier on everyone IMHO.Smiley Happy Just login into selfserve and make the switch it's pretty painless to do.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Alan53 wrote:

Any landline or non Canada wide calling plan will have to call long distance to reach you.  Employers and other services (dr. dentist) may not "like" this but I doubt they could refuse.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alan53 wrote:

No you don't. If people who would call you who are in NS do not have Canada-wide calling then they would be calling you via long distance. Some people are averse to doing so. If you have province-wide calling then you would have to call long distance back to AB.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Alan53 wrote:

The minus I can think of is when people call you.  If they don't have a Canada-wide plan, they may incur long distance charges when they call you.  

Need Help? Let's chat.