cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to cancel my old provider?

wchu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just moved over from Chatr, do I need to cancel old plan?

My new sim is activated. My old number is transferred over.

5 REPLIES 5

@bamb00 wrote:

Nope, apparently as soon as you switch your number to public mobile, the old account is automatically cancelled. Make sure you're not on a contract though as you may have to pay extra fees.

The only fees you will owe will be any unpaid usage already used, and any unpaid device subsidy owing.  No longer are there cancellation fees on contracts, since December 20117.

bamb00
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Nope, apparently as soon as you switch your number to public mobile, the old account is automatically cancelled. Make sure you're not on a contract though as you may have to pay extra fees.

bh90210
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

no, porting out a number automatically cancels your old provider's account

@wchu wrote:

Just moved over from Chatr, do I need to cancel old plan?

My new sim is activated. My old number is transferred over.

Make sure that you call the number to make sure that you can receive calls and text messages, preferably from a carrier other than Telus/Koodo/Public.  You'll also want to make sure that you can received text messages sent by someone who isn't using Telus/Koodo/Public.  If the calling your number goes to your old Chatr voicemail box, that means that your phone number has not been ported.

chrisbasm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wchu  - When you port your number OUT from a provider, your account with them will get closed (assuming it is not part of a family plan, or something like that).

Need Help? Let's chat.