cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't send SMS, only received one, but my numbers of allowable SMS was deducted by 10, why?

LesterZhang
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I recentely join the PM. When I try to sign up WeChat, and I didn't send SMS, but received one SMS only with the code for the wechat signup; however,  after that I noticed that my allowable SMS was reduced by 10, how come? 

Thanks

Lester

14 REPLIES 14

LesterZhang

Thanks. Yes, I am checking that now.

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Oops, I just saw the answer from Oracle @will13am.  Did you check the thread he linked?  I will link it again here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Pixel-on-Oreo-tries-to-send-Int-l-SMS...

A few good suggestions in there.

LesterZhang

no, I am using a android phone, Oneplus 5. I will check the setting to see if I can do anything.

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LesterZhang wrote:

Yes, you are right, the history shows that it sent 10 SMS to the number 7723.

I know when I signed up with Public Mobile, I saw a whack of texts going to the same number (474663). Based on a few threads I read on Public Mobile and Koodoo websites, it turns out that iCloud needed to send out various texts to ensure that the connection to iMessages was correct and working. I wonder if WeChat is going the same thing. After about a week, I stopped seeing that number on our usage log.

@LesterZhang wrote:

Other users complain about this too. It's your phone. Go into your permissions and for the "phone app" turn off SMS permissions and it should stop.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LesterZhang

Are you using iPhone?

If yes, it is because iPhone uses SMS to set up something after switch to a new provider.  After the first 10 or so SMS, iPhone will not use any more SMS messages.

LesterZhang

Thanks, a search in the community shows someone's phone sending out SMS even every reboot, that is really crazy. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@LesterZhang, as already mentioned, there are apps which send out SMSs for sync and various background functions.  I use the android dialer which is known to send out SMS in the background.  One way to stop this is to not allow apps to have access to SMS.  Here is a recent discussion about this. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Pixel-on-Oreo-tries-to-send-Int-l-SMS...

LesterZhang

@LesterZhang wrote:

During the process of signup Wechat, I didn't send any SMS, but received one SMS with the code. After that, I saw the number of SMS used become to 10. 2018-10-19_15-33-38.jpg

@LesterZhangClick "VIEW MY USAGE" then click "USAGE HISTORY" https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/call-history/

Look for Outgoing Text, what is the destination, are they the same? Did they come from your regular phone number?

LesterZhang

During the process of signup Wechat, I didn't send any SMS, but received one SMS with the code. After that, I saw the number of SMS used become to 10. 2018-10-19_15-33-38.jpg

@LesterZhang wrote:

Do you mean WEChat was sending SMS in the background without me knowing it? Do you have any idea how I can prevent it from happening again? I am with the 10 per 30 day plan, and only got 50 SMS.

Depending on your phone / operating system the instructions differ, however you can go to permissions and disable the app from sending SMS

LesterZhang

Do you mean WEChat was sending SMS in the background without me knowing it? Do you have any idea how I can prevent it from happening again? I am with the 10 per 30 day plan, and only got 50 SMS.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@LesterZhang wrote:

Hi,

I recentely join the PM. When I try to sign up WeChat, and I didn't send SMS, but received one SMS only with the code for the wechat signup; however,  after that I noticed that my allowable SMS was reduced by 10, how come? 

Thanks

Lester

That is an aftermarket service that has nothing to do with public mobile.  You want to contact them.

If you are on the limited 50 message per month and for some reason your self serve shows you only have 10 can you please post a screen shot.

If your limit was reduced by 10, so you only have 40/50 left then you need to login to self serve and go history and see where its going.

Need Help? Let's chat.