cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you switch from Telus?

kraymitchell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm currently with Telus and know that PM is owned by them. Wondering if anybody else has switched from Telus Mobility as well. I'm in BC.

Wondering how the overall service is on the network and customer service with issues.

Are you happy with your switch? Going from $90/month to $150/3 mo is very attractive, especially with more data than I get now.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

sandyvallee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Found it never mind.  I'm on android I just went to the contacts app.  In the three little dots menu it has a move device contacts too option. Its really easy thanks.

sandyvallee

I am also looking for this answer

@Carpanko wrote:

First of all, I'm brand new and about to make the jump from Telus to PM!!  However; concerned I may lose my contacts.  Any truth to this? 

What does Porting mean?

What do you mean by lost contacts?  Most phone do not need to be factory reset after changing carriers.  And even if you did need to do that, you always have the option of having the phone numbers saved to some type of online service such as a Google or Apple iTunes account, saving the contact information to a comptuer file, or even writing the information down with pen and paper.  As for losing touch with people, that's the whole point of number portability - not needing to change phone number and needing to give a new one out.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Carpanko wrote:

First of all, I'm brand new and about to make the jump from Telus to PM!!  However; concerned I may lose my contacts.  Any truth to this? 

@Carpanko where did you hear this?  I guess this might have been an issue years ago when people stored their contacts on their SIM cards but I suspect this is exceedingly rare in 2018.  Virtually everyone would be better served by storing them to their Gmail or iCloud (or other cloud provider of choice) account so that they are backed up automatically and available on any device you sign in from.  If you have your contacts on your SIM card by chance, you will need to copy them over to the phone itself or a cloud service before you make the jump to PM.  If this happens to apply to you.

As for what is porting, it's the processing of moving your phone number from your previous provider to your new one.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Carpanko

What does Porting mean?

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Welcome to PM @kraymitchell

You won't notice any difference, except for the fact your wallet will be a little thicker every 3 months lol.

kraymitchell

@mimmo   I ported my number and had no issues moving over. All setup now. Keeping my Telus for another week until the end of my billing period just to make sure things are good.

mimmo

@Wonder_why. I would not call it a drawback, think of it as as your question go on with your day and check back. 

Nice thing about the forum is you can check similar issues and possibly find the answer or direction you need to go instead of calling and waiting on hold for who knows how long.

@kraymitchell as mentioned the portal can be buggy. When you sign up get a temporary number. Once activation goes through and you can make calls then port your number and use only your Telus account number and name exactly as on the bill. Also remember to check I am authorised.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kraymitchell Welcome to PM, I am sure you will be happy here with PM, only draw back no Sub phone or call center

kraymitchell

@srlawren Thanks!
Not too worried about Roaming as I use Roam Mobility due to the issues I've had with Telus Roaming in the past.

I'm in Kelowna, get decent service as is so looks like I'm ready to jump ship. Already have the SIM card ready to go!

srlawren

@kraymitchell I moved over from Telus just over 2 years ago.  No looking back at all.  I've literally saved hundreds of dollars in the process, and enjoyed exactly the same awesome network.  I'm in the greater Vancouver area, often in downtown, Yaletown, Surrey, Richmond, New West, Burnaby, all rock solid.  

There are some potential drawbacks, such as if you need to have a number you can dial for help any time, or if you rely on Easy Roam with Telus.  PM only has roaming options for travel to the US, and they are fairly rigid options that may or may not work well for you depending on your needs and length of travel.  (Sweet spot is basically a 5-10 day trip.)  Also if you want to travel outside of Canada or the USA, there are zero roaming options available to you with Public Mobile, at any price.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The network quality should be exactly what you have now. 🙂

For customer service, most common things can be explained here in the forums and for anything that can't be sorted that way a private message to the moderators will generally take care of it. If they are super busy that can take a few hours but for the most part it's pretty quick.

The website/Self-Serve/etc is a bit out of date and has a few quirks but again - any issues and a moderator will help you. My guess is that most people don't have any problems. Do some reading here first and you'll find some guides.

Chances are you probably won't have any issues at all. 🙂

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@kraymitchell public mobile signal is same as Telus, so you can expect same signal and reception. 

In terms of customer service, Public Mobile is all inclusive and online only service. 

There are no call centers or customers support lines (unless you are a legacy PM customer). 

However, the online community help and online customer service is great. 

Need Help? Let's chat.