cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Sierra Wireless IMEI Unlock Code?

RoXx0rBoT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I couldn't unlock my IMEI thru Dell as my warranty is expired, and I'm waiting on Reddit and Twitter to get back to me. My IMEI can be provided upon request from official staff.

17 REPLIES 17

RoXx0rBoT

I'm confused, too. But then again, I'm lucky like that. heh heh heh

This is how I did it:

Firstly, install your WWAN card/dongle

Install the appropriate drivers

Make sure your APN is correct, DuckDuckGo is your friend

And finally, to SMS, download this -> http://support.black-it.eu/en/products/mobile%20broadband%20sms%20toolkit/index.htm

Biiiiit of an unknown site, unknown software, however it works just great for me!

@RoXx0rBoT wrote:

I have finally figured out everything on this laptop. I got the eSIM to work with data over 3G. Now i'm downloading an SMS Toolkit for Windows 10 to see if I can text, and then from there I'll figure out calling...

There would probably be some money in making an app based on python for this...

I'm confused because Public Mobile doesn't allow service to provisioned to an eSIM.

RoXx0rBoT

I have finally figured out everything on this laptop. I got the eSIM to work with data over 3G. Now i'm downloading an SMS Toolkit for Windows 10 to see if I can text, and then from there I'll figure out calling...

There would probably be some money in making an app based on python for this...

RoXx0rBoT

It is a chip that I inserted into a PCIe type slot. It's not soldered in, and it was $25 US or so and free shipping. Push comes to shove, I don't need it, however I got service to work last night. I woke up today to find that I have no service, so a reboot is in order. I have requested 20MB of data to test the connection from PM. Thank you for your input, my friend!

Another interesting tidibt, i find it funny that a laptop from 2013 has more advanced features than a laptop from 2019 lol.... It was over $4,000 brand new and it's business grade.

I also have the 8.5GB package, just downloaded some stuff too often on it and it went kaput a week ago. I would mainly use the cell data connection for gaming, as I live in a very rural area with a ping of 825ms all the way up to 2000ms. Makes everything unplayable lol...

Also had a phone up until two days ago and just tethered the laptop to it, but it broke. And seeing as how my Precision M4800 has an eSIM slot, why not take advantage of it?

@RoXx0rBoT 

It's not something PM can fix.

It's a laptop with a wireless modem which works cellular data. Maybe embedded hardware (soldered onboard), maybe modular hardware (swappable card), maybe removable hardware (external dongle-antenna). Dell builds (and has discontinued) numerous models, and there's no way to know which one they bundled into this consumer machine.

But they all use a SIM card which can be replaced. (This will change for worse when eSIMs mainstream, but it hasn't yet.)

https://www.parts-people.com/blog/2017/11/29/dell-precision-m4700-p21f001-sim-card-removal-installat...

I couldn't find any published specs for radio frequencies/bands. So I'd dig through software settings or lookup the frequencies/bands used by the carrier which issued the "Dell" SIM card, see if they're radio-compatible with PM (Telus). I don't have the Dell serial numbers needed to get the right Dell technical documents, I don't have the FCCID numbers needed for an OET search - so I leave it to you.

These devices can be "locked" but not in the same ways mobile phone handsets can be carrier-locked. They're not allowed to use CK codes which are allocated towards the telcom industry. They are completed unrestricted (even protected under DMCA law) in imposing all sorts of software restrictions, lockouts, and controls.

On the plus side, you can just disable/uninstall all the Dell junk and plug a PM SIM card into any cheap USB cellular modem.

I don't know why, exactly, since a laptop can consume GB of data in minutes or hours, a cellular data plan is a very costly way to pay for very little (and not very fast) data.

@RoXx0rBoT Here's an article on how to purchase an addon through your self service account. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

RoXx0rBoT

https://wiki.apnchanger.org/Canada

SOLUTION AT LAST!

Now I just need to top up 200MB of Data for $10 + tax and I can see if it works!!!

They shouldn't ask about warranty

They have to unlock all the phones if they were sold in Canada no matter how old.

Now yours was not sold in Canada. But you don't have to tell them that, you don't remember/it was present from your ex who won't talk to you anymore. Just give them imei and ask for unlock code please.

They may not have it though if it's not from Canada

But again if you don't try you won't get it 

@RoXx0rBoT  don't talk to warranty people, just customer service ask to unlock older equipment, you have IMEI on hand

RoXx0rBoT

It quite certainly is an adventure in babysitting ahah

Dell International won't help, and the Dell Canada people don't have a listed phone number that will accept my call with my expired warranty. I've contacted the original seller from China and made 2 posts on Reddit as well as here to solve it ASAP

@RoXx0rBoT  I'm not sure it will work.

Assuming it's unlocked and activated as I believe you would have the laptop with those configurations. If not it's just an empty slot with no configurations. You might need to install drivers as well.

You would have to contact Dell or check the Dell service code to the Dell support site to see if that feature is activated on your laptop. 

Not sure if it would work for calling might just be for data...but the other issue you'd have is figuring out the band frequency of it to see if it's compatible with Public Mobile.

Best of luck on your experiment.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@RoXx0rBoT  You need to talk to Public's moderator team for help.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking the icon below:

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

RoXx0rBoT

My warranty expired 3 years ago, and the WWAN card I purchased was from China. It was literally the ONLY one on all of the internet. Only paid $25. Maybe I could get into touch with the seller?

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RoXx0rBoT which provider did you get the phone from originally??

You can contact the provider with your IMEI and they will provide you with the unlock code for free of cost. 

chatting with an agent thought the providers website is probably easier option if they offer support through chat.

edit: nvm saw your post about the laptop

Cheers

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Is this a wireless card ?  I think you would need to contact Dell for support.

RoXx0rBoT

It's a laptop, it has a SIM card tray installed in it from the OEM. Dell Precision M4800. Drivers are installed, just no clue how to get it to call or text #060#

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@RoXx0rBoT You should be able to find it out by dialling *#06# on your phone? What do you mean by imei locked?  Can you use you PM cell phone or is it puk locked? Thanks.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

So do you have a Dell cell phone? Cause your tags say "Laptop" and this is not a computer shot. It's a cell service provider.

Where did you buy it from? If it is from a cell provide like bell, Rogers, etc..you have to contact them for the unlock code.

In Canada now the rules are they must provide the unlock code for free..

Public mobile can't help you with that unless it's a very old phone from years ago when public mobile sold phones and you bought it from them.

Need Help? Let's chat.