cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data setup on iPhone 5s

rliptrot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi folks. New member. 

I just finished setting up my phone but have no data, (calls work fine).

Model: iPhone 5s

Model Number: ME302C/A

Software up to date.

I found the following Public Article entitled “Set up data on an iPhone” and followed it as well as was possible.

“Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:1) Tap:

• Settings
  • Cellular
  • Cellular Data Network

2) Input this info:

So, I overwrote the existing contents of APN in Cellular Data Network with “SP.MB.COM”. This may have been done before the SIM card was inserted. I saw no opportunity to “hit save”. I saw no opportunity to input the MMSC or MMS Proxy info.

I did not Reset (network related) Settings.

I did restart the phone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Richard

33 REPLIES 33

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rliptrot wrote:

Thanks! Very same settings as mine. If yours works, mine should. Concluding not an APN issue. Ticket opened...

Did you try @geopublic solution back on page 2 of this thread? This doesn't sound like a moderator issue, it seems like an iPhone issue

rliptrot

Thanks! Very same settings as mine. If yours works, mine should. Concluding not an APN issue. Ticket opened...

rliptrot

Thanks

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe your account needs to be reprovisioned.

Try adding $1 to your account using Self Serve and restart your phone.

If that doesn't work, suspend your service using the Lost'/Stolen phone function, wait a few minutes and then undo the suspension, and restart.

@rliptrot wrote:

Proceeded with Auto Setup. Allowed the website to download a configuration profile. Site said, “Profile Downloaded. Review the profile in Settings app if you want to install it.” I did and installed the new profile. The new profile changed the APN to sp.mb.com. I restarted the phone and with wifi off, still have no internet connection.

Did you do the other checks,I suggested?

Did data work on it before?

Any recent work on phone like new screen or battery?

rliptrot

Proceeded with Auto Setup. Allowed the website to download a configuration profile. Site said, “Profile Downloaded. Review the profile in Settings app if you want to install it.” I did and installed the new profile. The new profile changed the APN to sp.mb.com. I restarted the phone and with wifi off, still have no internet connection.

Make sure airplane mode is OFF

@rliptrot wrote:

Unhooked, restarted the phone and changed the APN field back to sp.mb.com (from isp.mb.com).

Still no internet access with wifi turned off.

Does your account still have a balance of data?

Is your data turned on?

Do a network reset.

Reboot 

Turn data on

See what happens

Also what switches do you have turned on or off.  Settings, data and scroll down. 

If you cannot find a solution .....

Please use the chatbot  SIMon to help you solve your issue. If SIMon cannot solve  your issue then you have the option to contact a moderator.

Step 1: Choose the ? button at the right bottom corner of this page or choose “Get Help” at the top of the page and then choose the “Chat with SIMon” button.

Step 2: Tell SIMon what the issue is and see if he can find a solution for you.

Step 2: If Simon cannot find a solution then type in “moderator” to connect to a Public Mobile customer service representative.

Step 3: Simon will present you with two choices. Choose “Account-specific question”

Step 4: Then choose “No, I want a human”

Step 5: Create your ticket

Check the sent folder to make sure your ticket was sent (envelope icon, top right) and the inbox for a reply from the moderators.

“To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help.”

Moderators are available:

Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time

rliptrot

Unhooked, restarted the phone and changed the APN field back to sp.mb.com (from isp.mb.com).

Still no internet access with wifi turned off.

@rliptrot wrote:

I opted for first for the Manual Setup. Again, under Cellular Data Network, there is an APN field but I find no MMS field.

Given this fact, do you recommend the their Automated Setup? 

You have 2 options for the APN field only. 

isp.mb.com  <= works for me

OR

sp.mb.com

There are no other fields to update. 

@rliptrot  Yes, try the automatic setup.

rliptrot

I opted for first for the Manual Setup. Again, under Cellular Data Network, there is an APN field but I find no MMS field.

Given this fact, do you recommend the their Automated Setup? 

@rliptrot 

Here are my iPhone SE settings. Not a lot to update. And works. 

B851348B-918D-477C-BE8B-F3F4DC3B65B4.jpeg

Sorry @rliptrot If there is no carrier update offered, ignore that part. Just unhook and restart your phone 

@rliptrot  You cannot use isp.mb.com so don't bother trying to change it.

My recommendation is to use this site

https://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

rliptrot

Tried resetting network settings first. Still no internet access with wifi turned off. The APN did revert to isp.mb.com.

Now am using iTunes on my MacBook Pro. Followed your steps. 1 to 4. On Summary page, iTunes confirms software is up to date. However, regarding step 5,  I see no carrier profile update being offered, (at least on the Summary page). Might I find one being offered elsewhere in iTunes

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Try going to Settings>General>Profile and delete all the old profiles found there and then reset your phone. Check to see if data works afterwards, if not setup APN again or try the iTunes method above.

@rliptrot Try  using this method to push through the changes and to confirm and reset the SIM sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered)

Disconnect and reboot. From @luddite.

You can also try a network reset settings:
1.From the home screen, tap Settings
2.Tap General
3.Tap Reset
4.Tap Reset Network Settings
5.A box will pop up to explain the network settings will go back to factory settings. Tap Reset Network Settings

Restart your phone and see if your data now works or you are allowed to configure and save the PM APN settings. Stay safe. 

rliptrot

Ok thanks JoyLuck. I’ll pick it up in the morning.

@rliptrot wrote:

Dunkman’s recommended thread (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight...) looked promising but seems to apply to iOS 7 or older. I’m running 12.4.6 on a 5s. Will his 8-step process work for my phone?

It would be best to leave this until the morning when there will be more users to give you some advice to resolve your apn issue.

@rliptrot, have you tried googling your specific question or jumping onto Apple website with regards to your iPhone 5s?

This is what I google, 'setting up the apn iphone 5s 12.4.6' https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5253101 or

https://apn-settings.com/straight-talk-apn-settings-iphone-5/

rliptrot

Dunkman’s recommended thread (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight...) looked promising but seems to apply to iOS 7 or older. I’m running 12.4.6 on a 5s. Will his 8-step process work for my phone?

rliptrot

When I go to Cellular/Cellular Data Options, it’s to enable LTE or turn Data Roaming on or off.

I think the spot you’re thinking of is Cellular/Cellular Data Network. There I see only three spots where anything can be entered: APN, Username, Password. Below them is the Reset Settings.

That is all. None of the others you mention (Proxy, Port, Server, MMSC, MMSC Proxy and so on down to MVNO Value) are there.

rliptrot

Yes

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Is your ios operating system up to date.

rliptrot

Wifi is on. The Carrier line in Settings/General/About is info only; no changes can be made there on the 5s.

The Public Article did send me to Cellular/Cellular Data Network but only APN info was changeable there; never saw the opportunity to enter ANY MMSC or MMS Proxy info.

@rliptrot wrote:

?

I didn’t have an opportunity to input ANY MMS Proxy info, only the APN info.

Have a look at this thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Setting-up-data-for-iPhone-fields-mis...

@rliptrot  I think you need to reset your network settings. Won't hurt anything the only drawback is that you will need to enter your WiFi passwords again.

@rliptrot, may try again and go back to your iPhone settings:

Settings:

• Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network or
  • Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one. And I don't know if it means much, but do what I did, just copy and paste them exactly or type it exactly lower case and all

Need Help? Let's chat.