cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data really slow

mjs2789
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Switched to PM about a week ago, general internet surfing is very very slow almost basically unusable. Twitter, websites, facebook, haven't dared to try streaming something yet. I live in the GTA, phone has been rebooted multiple times. Any ideas? I'd like to stay with PM but if data doesn't work I'm switching for sure

34 REPLIES 34

mjs2789

Thank you all for your help. 3 weeks later and my speed is much better, I believe I had the data settings wrong in my phone from the start. I had inputed the proxy numbers under "Proxy" instead of "MMS proxy" since switching everything has been great. Cheers

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
On iPhone. SETTINGS then CELLULAR then CELLULAR DATA OPTIONS then enable LTE

@luke11992 wrote:

PM uses throttled LTE speeds, so the data won’t be as fast as with other carriers. However, the speeds they throttle to are still very usable and shouldn’t give you any slowdowns for basic internet browsing and social media. Especially if you’re in the GTA. My best guess would be there’s something going on with your phone. 

"Usable speed" is very subjective. Public Mobile's 3Mbps might be considered slower than slug in molasses by some people and considered faster than hyperspace insanity by other people.

PM (Telus) has arbitrarily set the cap at "equivalent to typical 3G performance" but that's still a meaningless metric in terms of how fast the user experience will be because individual users are never "typical".

@mjs2789

There are over a dozen LG G5 submodels and none of them appears to fully support all available Telus network bands. Admittedly hard to say because it's easy to find specs for the general device family but it's difficult to find specs for the specific device variants.

One thing that seems consistent is the commentary and reviews... most of these observe that the processor and GPU are decent performers (by 2016 standards) but they bottleneck webpages and ain't gonna win any races when it comes to displaying too many things simultaneously.  So maybe network data speeds are fine but your hardware data speeds are slow. For comparison, you can test data performance on your PM SIM card in the same service time and location but in another device. 

mjs2789

Should show at the top of your screen

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Where do you find the LTE in your iphone?

@mjs2789  Network operator should be Public Mobile. Is that not an option on your phone?

BEER

This will no longer be an option after Oct 4.

If that works then you would need to finish your plan data and then see that it works at 4G all of a sudden. I kinda doubt it.

I also somewhat doubt it - have conducted speed tests but don't get consistent results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER wrote:

@mjs2789 wrote:

@BEERthatswhat I have. Does PM offer anything higher than 3G? I don't see it on the website

Been advised that if your on the least expensive PM $10 plan when you add Data it will be at 4G speed. Again I'm not sure if what I do actually works - but I have tried switching back to the $10 plan -- adding data and then back to my regular plan - I know that this costs me an extra $10 but worth it if it results in getting the much faster 4G speed.

This will no longer be an option after Oct 4.

If that works then you would need to finish your plan data and then see that it works at 4G all of a sudden. I kinda doubt it.

BEER

@mjs2789 wrote:

@BEERthatswhat I have. Does PM offer anything higher than 3G? I don't see it on the website

Been advised that if your on the least expensive PM $10 plan when you add Data it will be at 4G speed. Again I'm not sure if what I do actually works - but I have tried switching back to the $10 plan -- adding data and then back to my regular plan - I know that this costs me an extra $10 but worth it if it results in getting the much faster 4G speed.

mjs2789

BEER

@mjs2789 wrote:

How do I know? Right now it says 4G in the data bar on my phone.

I have PM 3G data but my iPhone shows it as LTE .... not sure of what I'm actually getting.

mjs2789

Tons of data left

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mjs2789 , there's nothing wrong with anything.  The data on this service is heavily throttled to 3 mbits/s when connected to LTE network.  If you select 3G only on the phone the data speed could be faster depending on network congestion in your local area.  The service does not throttle when checked on 3G.  However, latency on 3G is bad compared to LTE.  At work, my data just doesn't work on a 3G connection.  Most people can live with the speed throttling.  You might be more sensitive to it.  Anyway, you get what you pay for in a tier 3 service in Canada.  

To those suggesting network reset, why?  That is required when there's problems with establishing a network connection.  If doing a network reset bypasses the data throttling, you guys made one heck of a discovery.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@mjs2789 can you check your self serve account to make sure you have data and it's not run out?  Just to rule that out

mjs2789

Here's an update. I reset my network settings as suggested, rebooted and it came back as 4G(full bars) I then Selected a Network Operator in settings Telus LTE. My phone switched from 4G (full bars) to LTE (half bars) instantly. Results seem to be identical, instagram and facebook reload slowly, twitter won't reload at all and searching for something on google doesn't produce any results, says I'm offline

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mjs2789 wrote:

LG G5. It says LTE+ now but said 4G 5 minutes ago

Do a network reset on your LG G5 after switching provider before your data working properly.

@mjs2789 wrote:

@mjs2789  When you signed up did you do a network reset on your phone? It is recommended that when using a LG Gx phone to do a network reset it even better a factory reset. If all else fails maybe worth a try before deciding to leave PM.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@mjs2789  that's where it should be set. I'm not too familiar with an lg phone, maybe someone else with an lg will see this and suggest something to try.  It's weird that it doesn't go to LTE right away automatically, usually a phone wants wants LTE all the time

@mjs2789 wrote:

@GR

still on 4G with full bars. Facebook updates slowly, Instagram updates slowly, Twitter doesn't update at all, google search doesn't retrieve anything and says i'm offline. I will try to change to LTE 

It's a little like your car you have to put the right kind of gas in it . You don't need the premium high octane gas nor regular just plus a little more....throttled. when you get the right speed everything runs well.

mjs2789

@GR Network mode is set to GSM/HSPA/LTE

mjs2789

@GR

still on 4G with full bars. Facebook updates slowly, Instagram updates slowly, Twitter doesn't update at all, google search doesn't retrieve anything and says i'm offline. I will try to change to LTE 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@mjs2789  I'm not sure on lg but in the connection settings there should be a place that says network mode and it should be on  lte/hspa

Sometimes after a restart it goes on 4g for a bit and then to LTE by itself 

Did the data work good earlier with LTE? 

mjs2789

@GR just restarted, it's now showing 4G again with full bars but still really slow. How do I change it to LTE?

@GR wrote:

@ms2789  how many signal bars on lte+  ?   Is it better now? 

@mjs2789  .... @GR  will have you up I and running in no time...

GR
Mayor / Maire

@mjs2789  how many signal bars on lte+  ?   Is it better now? 

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PM uses throttled LTE speeds, so the data won’t be as fast as with other carriers. However, the speeds they throttle to are still very usable and shouldn’t give you any slowdowns for basic internet browsing and social media. Especially if you’re in the GTA. My best guess would be there’s something going on with your phone. 

@mjs2789  I would go in the settings and set it to use LTE,  it would still fall back to 4g for calls but on LTE the data is better especially if 4g is congested with alot of calls 

mjs2789

Iphone  or Android.. .Samsung, Huawei ,Nokia?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try clearing your cache and cookies then reboot.

Need Help? Let's chat.