cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data overages

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM states on the home page that they don't charge for data overages. Is that a fact or an error? Haven't seen much info about it. Would be nice if it is factual.

10 REPLIES 10

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

To be able to see the error message website about possible reasons for data not working, the user would need to connect to the internet through Wi-Fi and tell the web browser to reload/refresh the page.

My browser (successfully) went to the PM redirect page with Data ON and WiFi OFF (and my home WiFi unplugged). So I know that works, though I don't know if it's the same everywhere for everyone. 

I was doing testing to what would happen after running out of data as well. The very second that I ran out of data, all internet activity stopped working. The Sign into network: Public Mobile notification was displayed and the phone tried to load the Public Mobile website in quetsion with the generic "ran out of data/suspicious activity/account suspended" message. It would not load.I tried loading a it a few times in case it was a momentary glitch - it wasn't. The page would not display until I turned Wi-Fi on and used my home internet connection to load it.  This was while using a Samsung A8 (2018) running Android 9.

I also observed the data counter on the self serve website resets at exactly midnight of the day the plan is going to renew.  However, the data did not start working again until about 30 minutes later. I would have thought that the data would have started working again either when the self serve counter reset or when the actual renewal occured hours later.  So, as the renewal will count that day as a full day used regardless of when you're charged, it's possible to go a small part of that data without data even though you ended up paying for it.

GR
Mayor / Maire

My kids are all on the 25$ plan with 1gb of data and they usually use a ll the data within a week or two and for the rest of the month they don't have any problems sending or receiving mms  messages!

@computergeek541 wrote:

After running out of data, the network does intercept your webpage loading request and attempts to load a Public Mobile webpage showing an error message. However, that page will not load because you are out of data. As such, you also will not be able to get into Self Serve using your mobile data connection.

To be able to see the error message website about possible reasons for data not working, the user would need to connect to the internet through Wi-Fi and tell the web browser to reload/refresh the page.

I've also read reports of MMS attachments not working consistently or at all after Data is all used up. 

But I specifically tested the limits my first month on a 30-day Plan (had lots left and only a couple days before renewal), I had Data to burn and I wanted to know what to expect (warnings, etc) on future billing cycles. 

My browser (successfully) went to the PM redirect page with Data ON and WiFi OFF (and my home WiFi unplugged). So I know that works, though I don't know if it's the same everywhere for everyone. 

MMS attachments (well, technically a single attachment which travelled around a lot) still worked for me, Province-wide, Canada-wide, with several people, both ways. 

My next bill cycle is in 4-5 days. And I still have almost all of my Data left unused (again). I was planning on running a bunch of Speedtests in all the usual places I use my phone. But I can test the above things again. And I can test other things, if anyone has questions or ideas. 

@Korth wrote:

At 100% you get no more Data for the remainder of your billing cycle (unless you buy a Data Add-on or buy a Plan). Your device will still connect to Data on the network but it can't be used for anything except MMS attachments and redirects to PM's webpage (explaining why you have no Data and allowing you to login Self-Serve to buy more).

After running out of data, the network does intercept your webpage loading request and attempts to load a Public Mobile webpage showing an error message. However, that page will not load because you are out of data. As such, you also will not be able to get into Self Serve using your mobile data connection.

You receive SMS notifications when you reach 75% and 95% thresholds on your Plan's Data allocation.

At 100% you get no more Data for the remainder of your billing cycle (unless you buy a Data Add-on or buy a Plan). Your device will still connect to Data on the network but it can't be used for anything except MMS attachments and redirects to PM's webpage (explaining why you have no Data and allowing you to login Self-Serve to buy more).

(My understanding is that these system notifications can be wrong or meaningless if you already have any Add-on Data available when reaching the thresholds. Not sure exactly what happens in that scenario, I've never tested it and different people have reported different things.) 

There's usually (small) discrepancies between device-side Data usage measuring apps and network-side Data usage measurements. Only the network-side numbers matter, the usage on your billing is what you're billed for, the device-side numbers are functionally only rough estimates. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

PM states on the home page that they don't charge for data overages. Is that a fact or an error? Haven't seen much info about it. Would be nice if it is factual.

Yes.  PM prepaid does not working like other prepaid service in Canada.  After you consured all your attoted data, your data will stop working because PM does not have pay-per-use.  Your available fund in your account will be safe.

Other prepaid service in Canada, for example Chatr, has pay-per-use.  As long as you have fund in your Chatr account, Chatr will use your fund in your account to pay for overage.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

We're all so used to getting hosed by the other cell providers that it actually seems odd to find a provider that doesn't have overages. Once you've been with Public Mobile for awhile, you'll look back and think "why did I stay with the other guy so long ?"

Welcome to $aving a few buck$.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@PAULRANG18hi you are absolutely right there are no overages when you run out it just stops that is the beauty of PM you can always buy an add on after you run out if you wish but you will have no surprise bills Smiley Happy 

Ninja0628
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM is a prepaid service. When your data allotment runs out, then you will not have data. PM will not provide data and charge you  for it. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

It's a.fact. if you run out of your PREPAID data, data just stops.

Need Help? Let's chat.