cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data overages and speed

Gunner1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

Got my simcard today. I'm about to select a plan and I have a few questions. I know I will probably sound like a moron however this is my first prepaid phone experience. I am still a Rogers and Telus big boy client. This is for a remote access work phone. My questions are with 3G can I still stream videos or will I notice a difference from my other LTE phones service. The next question is if I go-over my plans data for example if i'm on the 2Gb plan does my data stop for the rest of my 30 days remaining? Thanks and don't say it! (I feel dumb even typing and asking both questions, as I probably know the answers)  

13 REPLIES 13

@Gunner1 wrote:

Ok so they don't throttle it like Telus, Rogers or Lucky it just stops and I can buy more data like a plan reset. Not terrible as its a back up phone

A backup plan is always good. For me the free calling/texting offered by Fongo over wifi suffices.  (TextNow is also good)

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Gunner1

lol! I've got two backups on LTE that work just fine just want a new number for work related calls don't want to give everyone my personal cell during COVID19-20 in Quebec were slammed

Gunner1

Gotya!

Gunner1

Thanks

@Gunner1 wrote:

Ok so they don't throttle it like Telus, Rogers or Lucky it just stops and I can buy more data like a plan reset. Not terrible as its a back up phone

No you won't have data at reduced speeds.  You have to decide whether to purchase add-on data or renew early as mentioned earlier. 

The 1GB add-on is currently on half price $15 (for a limited time).  This add-on won't expire and is useful for any time you've used up your plan data and then you will start using the add-on until your plan renews and your data is reset.  Any remaining amounts of data from the add-on stays with your account until completely depleted.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I'll be honest

I don't download, just watch occasionally

At the moment I'm using somebody's phone with their LTE sim in the first spot and mine in the second. I really can't see the difference. Again I don't live in a rural area where I may have to rely on my data to download

And yes you are right with all the prepaid services you only use what you paid for, v if you'd like more music you must insert a coin again

Welcome to public mobile

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Gunner1 Many people have done some tests over the years and reported here. You will find a lot more info by searching 3g speed. Here is a link to a thread for 3G vs LTE comparison: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3G-vs-LTE/td-p/248442

@Gunner1 you can also switch over to HSPA+ and have a faster download speed of 7-12mb vs the 3mb on LTE

Gunner1

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to PM @Gunner1 It's 4g LTE speed limited to 3mbts. Just stream them at a lower frame rate. Your data will stop once it's done. It won't renew until the next 30 day cycle.  

Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if you need them:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Stay safe. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Gunner1 hi yes I can still stream just fine and yes your data stops there are no overage charges 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Gunner1 wrote:

Hi All,

Got my simcard today. I'm about to select a plan and I have a few questions. I know I will probably sound like a moron however this is my first prepaid phone experience. I am still a Rogers and Telus big boy client. This is for a remote access work phone. My questions are with 3G can I still stream videos or will I notice a difference from my other LTE phones service. The next question is if I go-over my plans data for example if i'm on the 2Gb plan does my data stop for the rest of my 30 days remaining? Thanks and don't say it! (I feel dumb even typing and asking both questions, as I probably know the answers)  

@Gunner1, depending on the resolution of the video you may notice a difference when streaming.  For your second question yes your data will just stop, you will be able to either purchase an add-on, renew early, or be limited to wifi only.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Gunner1 you will notice a speed difference, it may even buffer a bit depending on your signal quality. 

you can't go over your data allotment, once you've used 2gb you lose your data.

Need Help? Let's chat.