cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data on iPhone not working

ellenyw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello! 

I've been with Public Mobile for a while and my data has always worked fine. However, I got a iPhone SE and plan that just started a few days ago with PM. I have changed the settings on the APN to sp.mb.com (I can only see APN settings for personal hotspot, not the other options). 

When I turn on data, the LTE/3G symbol will show at the top but I will get a message saying "could not activate cellular data network" 😞 I do have a data plan so I don't understand the issue.
Please if anyone knows how to fix this, that would be amazing!

13 REPLIES 13

erinashleigh
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@ellenyw Thank you for sharing this solution! My data original worked when I set up my phone with Public Mobile but I never thoroughly tested it and my old apn profile must have overridden it.    As soon as I deleted the old profile my data worked again!

MG2019

Did you ever get your data to work?

GusM

Thanks, tried it and now data is working fine.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cindyhoughton are you certain your plan includes data? Check in your self-serve portal, and ensure you have available data under the "My Data & Add-Ons" secton.

On your iPhone, make sure you're not using a configuration profile (often used in corporate environments, but it doesn't sound like your case... but just to make sure...): Settings --> Cellular --> Cellular Data Network --> Reset Settings. This will ensure the phone reverts to PM's settings.

Also, make sure you have the latest iOS (check in Settings --> General --> About). As of this writing, you should have iOS Version 12.0.1, and the Carrier profile should be Public Mobile 33.0. If either of these is not up-to-date, your best bet is to update them (Settings --> General --> Software Upate).

Help this helps!

cindyhoughton

i have a i phone 6 s plus i activated plan yesterday in the store i bought it in and the data plan does not work  help    

cindyhoughton

do you know what the anp should read 

ellenyw

Hi @andrewface,

Try going to iphone settings >> general >> profiles and device management 

and see if there is any APN profile there?

Also under mobile data, do you see "mobile data options" or "mobile data network"?

I think some companies may lock that but you can also change the APN info there? 

andrewface
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am experiencing this same issue but now with IOS11 there doesnt appear to be a profile option under general. I was on freedom so it makes sense that my phone may have had other APN settings. Is there another way to reset these?

Totalrookie

I wonder if I'm having a data problem. I cannot download apps from the Google Play Store.

I'm trying to download the Ontario Lottery ticket checking app.. I've checked settings & re-booted but nothing works.  Should I check the APN on the phone? Very confused & irritated by this.Smiley Sad

Michaelpierce

I moved to another network before a week. Then I have fetching problem on my iPhone cellular data (Mobile Data) not working. But I found a online guide about the cellular data not working and it worked for me. : https://www.howtoisolve.com/fix-iphone-cellular-data-not-working/

yyy_pmobile

I just activated an iPhone SE coming from Telus and didn't need any APN changes. I also only see Personal Hotspot under Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Network, but I left it at isp.mb.com and did not hit "Reset Settings". Works fine so far (youtube, google news working fine with wifi turned off).

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Glad you solved it.  typically the two most common data issues are

1. wrong APN setting
  2. data allotment used up

ellenyw

hm, I think I may have solved it! 
There was another APN profile on my phone that was overpowering the normal settings I think. I'll just post here for anyone who has a similar issue:

Go to Settings --> General --> Profile
After deleting the old profile, data seems to be working!

Need Help? Let's chat.