cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

Jocemsmith
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I am new to this and not very tech savy.

My husbands phone all of a sudden the data is not working.

He has 2GB data and hardly ever uses it.  When I log into his account and go under data usage it doesn't even show the bar that says how much data he has used.

It just says no longer available or consumed. 

We are confused by this as again he never uses his data. It is possible he turned it on and it got used up somehow but how are we supposed to figure that out when the account doesn't show what has been used. Or figure out if there is a problem that we need to figure out how to fix.

Our billing date is the 12th - so if he just used up all his data it should reset itself on the 12th correct?

If it does not reset itself what can we do to figure out what happened to his data?

thank you for your help.

Jocelyn

25 REPLIES 25

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jocemsmith 

We're all happy to help... 🙂

Let us know tomorrow how everything goes.  It's always nice to hear how things end up, whether it's good news or if the problem continues.

Jocemsmith

Ok all of this have been very helpful.  Thank you so much.  I wasnt sure how this community thing was going to work but you all have been very quick to respond and with helpful answers.

I will wait to see what happens tomorrow otherwise I will be back.

Thank you

jocelyn

"I am so bad with apps other than the obvious ones they all look like garbage to me."

Don't feel bad about it. You're in good company! 

😀

Jocemsmith

phone and text work.

Wifi works.  I had turned it off to see if the data would work.

@Jocemsmith wrote:

Ok good to know.

I am so bad with apps other than the obvious ones they all look like garbage to me.

Trust me.. Data usage tracker that will do 30 days cycle is VERY useful

you are on Android. .. Try Data Counter Widget.  You can setup 30 days cycle and add Widget to the front screen for easy checking your current data usage.

Also, with your phone build in tracker, it does monthly.  I doubt you want to change it every month for the cycle start date to match the 30 days cycle, you might want to disable the Data Limit and warning as it might mess up later.

BlueB

@Jocemsmith 

Looks like wifi isn't connected with the "?" for the wifi symbol.  Does he use his phone otherwise?  If so, then the phone could have been using data vs wifi.

Do phone calls and text messages in+out still work?

@Jocemsmith  So, you checked again that his My Account front page My Data & Add-Ons does not have an entry showing how much data he is eligible ?  (It will be similar to 500MB + 500MB at 3G speed, except that yours will be more)

do you mind to take a screenshot and show us?

E-MyAcc-OW-AddOnUsage_Purchase.png

Jocemsmith

Ok good to know.

I am so bad with apps other than the obvious ones they all look like garbage to me.

Jocemsmith

Hi

His set cellular limit was set to 5GB.  I have changed that to 2.  Set a warning for 1.5 and set that data cant work beyond the 2.

Just tried seeing if data worked and it is still a no.  On the phone a wifi bar with ? comes on that the top.  When I swipe down to see the message it says

Android System

Sign into network

Public mobile

@Jocemsmith

In the odd chance it could've happened, check your phone of any malware that could've gotten on your phone without your knowledge. It has happened to me personally and 250MB of data allotment are gone in a few minutes!

Open the Settings/Apps page and review any suspicious looking entries that may come up. Then try to disable them first before deleting after a few days, to ensure you don't make a mistake.

@Jocemsmith wrote:

we both have our own self serve accounts. I was just wondering if we were connected somehow and I had used up his data

No, no connection.   PM does not have Family plan and no sharing between different accounts

@Jocemsmith  Also, if you want to confirm if your husband really used up the data (how much do you have for the month?)   Logon to My Account, go to the Usage History, Make sure the date range is between July 13 and now , then sort by the Call Type.    Copy ONLY the Web traffic entries to Excel (might have some work to do as it might be many pages) and add them up with Excel and see how much difference

E-MyAcc-DataUsage.png

Jocemsmith

we both have our own self serve accounts. I was just wondering if we were connected somehow and I had used up his data

Jocemsmith

Ok under the view my usage history is where it shows that he has only used 30mb.  The biggest usage was 20mb on the 8th.  His data hasnt worked for 3 days now

@Jocemsmith  Curious.. with the Mobile Data Page on the phone (like the screenshot I showed), it has "Set cellular data limit" , any chance it was set to some number?    Also, after you change the cycle start date to July 13. Can your husband uses data again?  

The data limit on the phone would stop the phone consuming data if the limit is reach.  If the cycle start date wasn't set right, it will mess up and it might stop your husband  from using the data on that phone.

BlueB

@Jocemsmith 

A lot of great ideas for app-tracking and checking details online.  Some additional thoughts for you...

If this starts to happen more frequently and you need a bit of extra data, you can always buy a Data Add-On too.  The regular plan's data will be used first each cycle before touching the add-on.  Data add-ons typically don't expire, so if you barely touch it every cycle, it will be there for a long while.

If you have wifi at home or whever he goes, you can setup the phone to use wifi (automatically) which might help with using less data "accidentally" too.

@Jocemsmith wrote:

When I change his billing date on his phone to start July 13th it shows he has used 1.12gb.

This is what his phone says under data usage and the other information about roughly using 30mb is when I went into his public mobile account online and looked at plan usage. It totaled 30mb.

Pretty sure we each have a different SIM in each of our phones and I do have  two public mobile account - one for him and one for me, so those arent connected either.

@Jocemsmith 

Each Public Mobile account must have it's own email, and Self Serve account.

You cannot link accounts here at Public Mobile.

So, perhaps one of you have not registered for a Self Serve account?

If not, you can register the 2nd account here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

Jocemsmith

When I change his billing date on his phone to start July 13th it shows he has used 1.12gb.

This is what his phone says under data usage and the other information about roughly using 30mb is when I went into his public mobile account online and looked at plan usage. It totaled 30mb.

Pretty sure we each have a different SIM in each of our phones and I do have  two public mobile account - one for him and one for me, so those arent connected either.

@Jocemsmith wrote:

we both turn off our data when we are not using it and he does it all the time.  That is why it is so odd/ confusing as to why it is all gone.

It is all good if it resets tomorrow, Im just trying to problem solve incae it doesn't

@Jocemsmith 

Go the the "View My Usage" history under the Self Serve account. It is a bit cumbersome to navigate, but it may pinpoint one or more times that you did not expect usages or higher than normal usage.

NOTE: the "View My Usage" history details is a bit delayed with it comes to DATA usage. So anything used yesterday should be reflected there.

BUT, is DATA was used heavily this morning, that it may not show until this evening or tomorrow morning.

Jocemsmith

we both turn off our data when we are not using it and he does it all the time.  That is why it is so odd/ confusing as to why it is all gone.

It is all good if it resets tomorrow, Im just trying to problem solve incae it doesn't

@Jocemsmith wrote:

Hopefully it resets tomorrow.

I just looked under his plan usage and for the month it says he maybe used a max 30mb of his 2GB.

I was reading some of the other posts.  How do I figure out the dual sim thing??  I got a notice on my phone that I was getting close to my max (even though I don't think I was as I have my notification setting very early) could I have by accident taken his data?

@Jocemsmith 

Your phone device must match the start of your Public Mobile start date to show accurate usage levels within your cycle.

So was this message from your phone or a Public Mobile TEXT?

I am thinking a Public Mobile TEXT since your Data line does not show on the Overview page.

Dual SIM? Do you use two SIM's or are you just using the one Public Mobile SIM in 1 of your 2 SIM slots?

Jocemsmith

Hi

Thank you for this.

It says he has used 1.14GB from Jul 12th to Aug 11th

Jocemsmith

Hopefully it resets tomorrow.

I just looked under his plan usage and for the month it says he maybe used a max 30mb of his 2GB.

I was reading some of the other posts.  How do I figure out the dual sim thing??  I got a notice on my phone that I was getting close to my max (even though I don't think I was as I have my notification setting very early) could I have by accident taken his data?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jocemsmith it looks like the data are all used up

Yes, if it shows Payment Due before August 12, then it will reset on that day.

Are you using Android?  If so, you can confirm your Mobile data usage by going to Mobile Data, change the cycle start date to the first date of the current cycle (I believe yours is July 13) and it will tell you how much you have used and which app used the most.

Android-DataLimit.png

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Jocemsmith wrote:

Hi

I am new to this and not very tech savy.

My husbands phone all of a sudden the data is not working.

He has 2GB data and hardly ever uses it.  When I log into his account and go under data usage it doesn't even show the bar that says how much data he has used.

It just says no longer available or consumed. 

We are confused by this as again he never uses his data. It is possible he turned it on and it got used up somehow but how are we supposed to figure that out when the account doesn't show what has been used. Or figure out if there is a problem that we need to figure out how to fix.

Our billing date is the 12th - so if he just used up all his data it should reset itself on the 12th correct?

If it does not reset itself what can we do to figure out what happened to his data?

thank you for your help.

Jocelyn

Hello @Jocemsmith ,

I think you are correct in your summary.

It appears the data was consumed over the cycle, which is why you do not see it any longer listed in the Overview section.

If August 12th is your renewal, check your Self Serve again tomorrow, and it should show the 2GB listed there.

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track.

Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data Widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

EDIT:

It is quite possible that Data was used up without knowing it.

FYI: a good practice is to TURN OFF your DATA on your phone, and only turn it on when needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.