cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

dzakanj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am visiting Canada with my girlfriend and we are here for 3 weeks only. As we are traveling, we need mobile data to get around. We bought 2 public mobile sim cards and payed 50$ for the 8gb plan. 

The problem is that the data is not working with one of the cards. My girlfriends card was working right away, while mine didn't. I have read the post about APN settings and how to configure it, but still it doesn't work. Then I have switched cards with my girlfriend and the data was now working on my phone but not on hers (also tried setting the custom APN settings on her phone). So, the problem is not mobile phone related (as one SIM card is working on both phones) and it's not APN related (as it doesn't work even with custom settings on one of the SIM cards) but it has something to do with one of the cards.

Can you suggest what else can I try? As we are here for less than 20 days, I really need this resolved soon.

P.S. I have already contacted the moderator 2 days ago (as soon as I've bought the card and noticed that one is not working) and provided all the info sitj pictures, but still no response.

25 REPLIES 25

dzakanj

Just to let everyone know, it was account related. After I was contacted by a moderator I was told that one of the techs is working on it and would reach me after everything is done (in maximum 24-48h). After 4-5h, I was contacted by a tech to try if everything is working now. After I've restarted my phone, the mobile data was working and I was able to receive calls.

Thank you all for your suggestions.I'll mark the reply that mentioned it is account related as a solution.

@dzakanj well at least they contacted you rather quickly good luck

dzakanj

Thank you for your wishes and other for their suggestions. 

It seems that the problem is account related. I was able to make the call, but on my GF's phone she has a call from "unknown" and she cannot see any info. She has then tried calling me on the number specified on the sim card and she would get an automated message saying "You've reached the number that is not equipped with incoming service" and my phone wouldn't ring.

In the meantime, I was contacted by moderators and they are working on resolving my issue. Once they let me know what was wrong I'll update the topic for future references.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dzakanj wrote:

Hi,

I am visiting Canada with my girlfriend and we are here for 3 weeks only. As we are traveling, we need mobile data to get around. We bought 2 public mobile sim cards and payed 50$ for the 8gb plan. 

The problem is that the data is not working with one of the cards. My girlfriends card was working right away, while mine didn't. I have read the post about APN settings and how to configure it, but still it doesn't work. Then I have switched cards with my girlfriend and the data was now working on my phone but not on hers (also tried setting the custom APN settings on her phone). So, the problem is not mobile phone related (as one SIM card is working on both phones) and it's not APN related (as it doesn't work even with custom settings on one of the SIM cards) but it has something to do with one of the cards.

Can you suggest what else can I try? As we are here for less than 20 days, I really need this resolved soon.

P.S. I have already contacted the moderator 2 days ago (as soon as I've bought the card and noticed that one is not working) and provided all the info sitj pictures, but still no response.

While you waiting for your issue to be Resolved let me be the first one to welcome you to Canada. I hope you enjoy your stay along with your GF

@hycm53 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@dzakanj wrote:

Hi,

It's SIM card issue. If you brought it from retailer, then you can get a new card from the retailer for free, if you brought it online from PM, you should contact moderator team for the problem:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@hycm53  If the OP can make calls and send texts with that sim why is it a SIM problem? Please explain.

The OP didn't said can make calls on his first post, and he only said his card didn't work on his girlfriend's and her card can worked on his phone, therefore I think it's card issue.

I doubt that this is an issue with the specific sim card.  The sim card is actually working.  I suspect that even if the sim card was swapped, that the problem would still be there.  It's really the only other thing that could be tried though.

I believe this to be an account specific issue, sadly for which none of use here can do anything about.  I believe that only moderators can help fix this.

Since the other Public Mobile sim card works in this phone for data, everything on the hardware and software end of the phone is already set properly.  That also rules out any compatibility issues.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ocbaka wrote:

Hi,

What is your phone model?

I had the exact same problem with my LG G5.  I was able to make calls, but did have access to data.

The solution was to set the correct apn settings for this phone

Benoit

For LG phone, after changing service provider, do a network reset in order to get data working.

ocbaka
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

What is your phone model?

I had the exact same problem with my LG G5.  I was able to make calls, but did have access to data.

The solution was to set the correct apn settings for this phone

Benoit

When you log into self serve - do you have an amount showing under data and add-ons ?

If no amount is showing then you have used all your data.

Check your APN settings. https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dzakanj wrote:

I just tried making a call and it's working (although I don't really need calls and messages).

Your SIM card is working as you can call from your SIM.  Your plan may not be provisioned correctly. No need to buy another SIM card.

While your are waiting for moderator to help you.  You may try the lost/stolen phone trick to re-provison your plan features again.

1. Login to your self-serve account.
2. Report your phone lost/stolen using [Plan and Add-Ons] --> [Lost/Stolen Phone]
3. Logoff
4. Wait 5 minutes and login again
5. Report your phone found.
6. Re-start you phone to provision your account again. i.e. enable all features of you plan again.

If this trick failed to get thing working again, just wait for moderator to help you.  You already wait 2 days.  Moderator will reply to your private message soon.

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can confirm. My data isnt working either atm.

@dzakanj  yes unfortunatly there are alot of issues with self serve at the moment 

dzakanj

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried it. I have tried resetting the network, adding the custom APN settings, as I have a dual SIM phone I have also tried removing the second sim card, nothing worked (I was restarting my phone on each try). I wanted to try the lost/found phone trick but as soon as I click on the "Plan & Add-ons" I get the "Oh no. Looks like something went wrong " error message. I can browse other tabs just fine (payment, overview..)

- Make sure that Data is enabled on phone.

- Cycle phone off/on.

- Remove and reseat sim card.

@dzakanj If you havent already try a network reset and restart your phone

@geopublic wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@dzakanj wrote:

Hi,

It's SIM card issue. If you brought it from retailer, then you can get a new card from the retailer for free, if you brought it online from PM, you should contact moderator team for the problem:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@hycm53  If the OP can make calls and send texts with that sim why is it a SIM problem? Please explain.

The OP didn't said can make calls on his first post, and he only said his card didn't work on his girlfriend's and her card can worked on his phone, therefore I think it's card issue.

dzakanj

Yes, me and my girlfriend have separate sim cards with different emails and accounts. I can see that the plan is active as under my plan I can see 0/8.5GB used.

@hycm53 wrote:

@dzakanj wrote:

Hi,

Make sure when you register the second sim, that you're using a different email address than the first sim. You can use same cc, but you need a different email address.

Good luck and welcome to Public Mobile.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@dzakanj wrote:

Hi,

@dzakanj That seems strange that Data would be sim related you must have set up two separate accounts under two separate emails correct? are you sure the account with the "bad sim" was set up for the 50 dollar plan?

@dzakanj wrote:

I'll try to get another SIM card today and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion

@dzakanj  I don't think it's s card issue. Hopefully the moderator responds soon. While you are waiting for the moderator to respond, you may try the lost/stolen phone trick:

To report your phone stolen. Login to your selfserve account. Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Choose the Lost/Stolen Phone tab. Choose Suspend Service tab. Wait a few minutes. Report your phone found. Re-start you phone

dzakanj

I'll try to get another SIM card today and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion

dzakanj

I just tried making a call and it's working (although I don't really need calls and messages).

ooakosiryan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, @dzakanj. Sorry to hear about your SIM that's not working.

This is clearly a SIM card issue, so I would suggest getting a new SIM card (maybe you can go to where you bought the other 2 and let them know what happened—ask if they'll let you exchange the defective one for a new one). Then log into your self-serve account, look  under "My Profile," and click on "Change Sim Card."

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Sorry, I spoke too soon. I think @RossN and @geopublic are right that it's not a SIM problem because calls work. It seems like an account problem, in which case only the Mods can help (and might as well try the lost/stolen phone trick while waiting just in case and double check that the plan you signed up for with the "bad SIM" really is the $50 plan and includes data).

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@dzakanj does the "bad sim" work for texting and making calls?

Need Help? Let's chat.