cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working.

jh2012
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a new sim and it registered fine. The phone number works ok. The APU settings entered automatically and are not editable. I'm in BC and wonder if the sim is not the correct one for the province.

The info:

Name:Telus

APN: sp.telus.com

The rest matches the online help.

Can anyone please tell me why data does not work?

38 REPLIES 38

Chile

Hi.

I have OnePlus 5 phone.

I always have an on/off issue with the data.

Had to reset couple times previously.

This time, no luck.

@Chile 

1. What kind of phones your sister and yours?

2.  did you just join and data ever work?  

Or you have been using data no issue before and just start having problem lately?

3.   Did you try a Network reset?

@Chile 

Has your data worked previously? Make sure mobile data is enabled. Do you have your data limiter set? Check that setting. Log into your self serve account. Do you see your data counter at the bottom of the overview page under "Data and Add ons"? If you don't then you have used it all up.

Chile

My sister and I both have the same phone.

Her works fine and mine didn't.

I checked her APN and info is the same.

Not sure why my data is not working.

@Anonymous 

I decided to google this issue to learn a little more about it. As it often is the case posts from the community pop up first. After reading a few articles it was mentioned that the issue stems from Android 9 although I couldn't confirm it whether updating to Android 10 does fix the greyed out settings it is possible to install Android 10 on an Umidigi X.

I clicked on the specific Umidigi X post from the community and happened upon the solution by none other than me! 😃

@jh2012 

If you have kept your Umidigi X as a back up phone or for travel since it's handily dual sim you may find these posts helpful if you ever choose to update your phone to Android 10 or if you do want to be able to use mobile data on it. Also note you used to be able to use a roam sim card in addition to a freedom sim card. Unfortunately they were a victim of the pandemic....and their sim cards were much cheaper than freedom's but I have found them on sale at Canadian Cell Supplies on occasion for $3.99 (....and I bought one just in case I know someone with this problem.)

Some background and heavily simplified instructions on adding an APN....

Sometimes, APN settings on your device for a particular carrier may be "locked" such that they are "grayed out" and can't be modified.

This is often an indication that they have been set by your currently connected carrier and that you shouldn't need to modify them. However, in some cases it is possible to work around this and gain access to modify them again.

Reset to default option

At the APNs screen, try the Reset to default option available by pressing the overflow menu button. This will delete any of your customizations to APN settings and return them to their initial state as provided by the manufacturer.

If your carrier has pushed APN settings to you, this may revert from those settings back to the ones included on your device, and get you back the ability to add new ones.

Airplane mode option

Another thing you can try is to remove the SIM card or enter Airplane mode (called "Flight mode" on some devices) prior to selecting the Reset to default option. If your carrier tries to push new APN settings to your device regularly, this may afford you enough time to perform your modifications before that happens again and you lose access to edit them.

Note that if you remove the SIM card, your device may need to be rebooted afterwards.

If you removed the SIM card, replacing it may require another reboot.

To install Android 10 on your Umidigi X use the following link:

https://www.getdroidtips.com/android-10-umidigi-x/

My post from early last fall that was the solution to the same issue you have with your phone that was copy and pasted from someone else who solved it on their own.

I just purchased an Umidigi X phone. I can confirm that the instructions for adding APNs through ADB shell command does not work. However, I did have a Freedom Sim Card which I popped into the phone and that allowed me to add new APNs. After adding the APN for Public Mobile with the Freedom Sim Card still inserted, you will not see it even after clicking the "save" option. However, as soon as you insert the Public Mobile SIM card it will show the APN that you previously saved. My data is working flawlessly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jh2012 : It's actually more on the phone manufacturer to include what all providers to pre-install in their phones. If they can't be bothered to include this place, that's on them.

Then turn around and block access to add one oneself. Also on them.

But we here know of some workarounds. But then you worked around it by getting a whole other phone. That works too. 🙂

jh2012

I'd like to thank all in the community who had suggestions for data not working. I ended up getting a new phone and on it I could edit the APN and DATA then works just fine.

My thoughts on the issue is that this should not have happened in the first place. The sim was purchased online and registered with PM. and the phone and text worked. The default APN is set by the sim and mine was set for Telus not PM. Why did that happen is my question. Would it not be to every ones advantage if the sim worked right out of the box. Just wondering.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a thought Public Mobile...so you send a text to the SIM with the PIN at activation. How about attaching the usual APN as a matter of course along for the ride at the same time. You're sending something anyway. The APN is pretty standardized. iPhone's can ignore it. They could keep it if they change to an Android. That way it's just there at the ready for when it's needed for a particular device that has a problem. Apart from that, there would be no harm in attaching it. Instruct the recipient to use it if they have a problem.

Something for that list of enhancements you guys are always active with 🙂

@Melinda_H , @David_J , @J_PM 

@jh2012 

The Umidigi X has this APN issue. There are two options to get it to accept a new APN. Either with a freedom sim card which allows you to edit the APN and save it or by getting the moderators to text you a configuration file that will add pm's APN. I have asked several senior moderators about it and they are aware of its existence and ask that you contact them for it. So if you get a new moderator who doesn't understand what you are asking for just ask them to contact one of their colleagues. Otherwise if you know someone with freedom borrow their sim card to edit your APN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spudster : I see it as a defeat. Throw up the hands giving up and toss it to the mods and move on. Hey they're the ones being paid to do this...get on it.

Certainly some things just have to go to the mods. But that depends on how well written the question is. Sometimes it's quite detailed and you read it and go well that's that...contact mods. Other times it's two words...in the tags...attached to an existing thread. lol

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nope,  not missing anything @mimmo & @Anonymous 

It seems both of you are caught up on any suggestion of involving the moderators as being almost forbidden, and have overlooked my very strong position that community help should be sought first.

All I am saying, is that most users may not have the luxury of time to sit and try dozens of options and it seems to me that if they have tried several, and none have helped, they may as well contact the moderators.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Spudster   I think you are missing the point of the support  this model.    the model is crowdsourced  support and if and when that fails contact the small team of mods. 

Contacting  mods simply because they are paid  i believe goes against the community philosophy, they should be  contact when needed as to ensure they are not over contacted with  tickets that could have been solved in community.

How much time and back and forth troubleshooting will happen especially since its all one way time delayed private messages.  

to me it comes down to that Far too often contact mods is the first knee  jerk reply without getting more detailed info.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spudster : Say the powers that be came down from their opulent corner offices and told us that all we could do is direct all questions to the mods. No "triage". No workarounds. No suggestions. No tips. No known glitches that go our way. No help. No fraternizing and kibitzing. Just contact the mods. You still earn rewards, mind and the bravos and the post-count and the solutions...but nothing else. I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Edit: I can picture an Oracle collecting all the post id numbers and getting ready to extract this bit of discussion out and move it over to the Community category. It's a valid Community discussion so it shouldn't be dumped to the lounge but who am I to say.

Spudster

Cause that's their job, @mimmo 

They're getting PAID to do this by the funds that are being paid by users.

I'm not suggesting that users shouldn't first attempt to get resolution on the community (they definitely should)  - I'm just saying why the heck would a user, who has tried a few user replies of suggested fixes, not reach out to Mods?

mimmo

@Spudster   my view is the moderators should be the "last resort"  or suggested if it is clearly an account error.  the whole point is the community is supposed to triage support requests  rather than flood the moderators with questions the community could have answered.    why waste their time when we can waste ours 🙂 lol

@Anonymous wrote:

@BKNS27 : Where did the OP say he ported a number? Or hint at it for us to interpret?

Porting is unlreated to data, regardless.

mimmo

@jh2012   this is a long shot, ( i might get some flack for suggesting it),  but iirc it might have worked previously in some situations,   and only if you are comfortable,  clear you cache partition by entering recovery mode,  (not factory reset)  not sure if there is an option in settings somewhere as well...

FAQs for Wipe Cache Partition on the Samsung Galaxy S5 (tenorshare.com)  ( i know not your phone but some general info)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spudster : It's long since been endlessly well argued. All inquiries can be handled by the moderators. All. So what are we here for then?

Someone posts a question. Contact moderators. Solution. Someone posts a question. Contact moderators. Solution. Ad infinitum. Boring.

Or forget the whole community and have one page with one button...contact support. Click here. No helping others. No rewards. No learning.

Spudster

@Anonymous 

I don't see an issue with putting the Moderators to work for users.   

After all, they're PAID to do this, right?  It's a part of having service with Public Mobile?

I fail to see why there's a select number of Community members (present company excluded???) who feel it almost taboo to contact them...  it doesn't mean failure on the Community's part.

I see it as a team effort.

@Anonymous 

My bad…I saw Telus so I assumed it was a porting issue too.

mimmo

@jh2012 is it a dual sim phone?  possibly try switching the sim positions?

on my umigdi f2   shows both PM ad telus,  I cant remember if i added PM or not (it says PC Mobile, not PM ) so i'm thinking i added it.  (but it does show me the option of adding and editing the apns   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jh2012 : It's ridiculous to me that some phone manufacturers can't let owners do this for themselves. I'm assuming this Android 10 or 11. There was an uncertified app not on the Play store that could open up the APN for 8. People have found that a Freedom SIM (whether active or not) can.

The moderators allegedly have a way of texting customers a file in that text that installs APN settings. But then there you are cap in hand going please suh moh porridge 🙂

jh2012

Thanks. I submitted a ticket for the issue. I tried another provider sim and it worked ok, but my phone does not allow changing the APU or adding one.

@jh2012 

Other customers had similar issues with your phone model to change APN settings.  Moderator may be able to send a file that in the past change the APN settings. 

The Freedom mobile SIM card trick has helped before.  Put their SIM card, make a new APN setting, save to phone and then put your PM SIM card.  

jh2012

I appreciate the input. I have 1G of data 0 usage and have used the phone for a month.

Yes, @jh2012 , just go ahead and make Moderator contact like  @Spudster  first recommended.

If, in the interim, someone else here is able to help you along, then you'll have exercised your available options for both levels of assistance.  There's nothing wrong with approaching both levels of assistance in case there's something which may be able to be done on an account-level basis.

Just to be sure - if you're on the $15 Plan with limited data, you haven't already burned through your data allotment, have you?

Check the Data & Add-On's section in your self serve to see if the data line is displaying:

HALIMACS_0-1622509253293.png

jh2012

Thanks, but I tried that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BKNS27 : Where did the OP say he ported a number? Or hint at it for us to interpret?

@jh2012 

I think the porting process is in progress. Sometimes it may take some time to complete. Meanwhile, contact a moderator to speed thing up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jh2012 : Can you put that other service SIM back in and then add an APN? Save and select it and then re/re the PM SIM and see what happens?

Need Help? Let's chat.