cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working after Walmart sales rep set me up

pflowerdew
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just changed to the $25 plan which includes 500 MB data, but the Walmart sales rep couldn't get my data to work even after double-checking he entered the APN settings correctly. Data is set to "ON" on my phone.

If data is "on" and APN is correct, what could be keeping me from accessing my data?

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks 

26 REPLIES 26

Not that we care, but my undersstanding is that Walmart, The Mobile Shop, and likely other in store kiosks are not employees of that store. It's a function the name brand outsources. So you can expect extreeeemely variable service. 

So, just get a SIM and activate online. That way a new customer creates some immediate familiarity with PM's systems.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

To send an MMS message on Public Mobile, you require your data to be active, However it does not count towards your data usage.

Picture texting (MMS) does use data, but it's zero rated at Public Mobile.

Thus, it will not hit your 1 GB of data.  Data must, however, be turned on to send an MMS.

pflowerdew

For the record, after trying all 6 of the solutions mentioned, a factory reset DID fix the problem. And just out of curiosity because I'm new to the data world - how much data is used up when I send a picture via text? Can't find that answer anywhere online. Thanks to all yo helpful people

pflowerdew

I did restart the phone, but to no avail. I am just charging up my phone now so it has enough juice to do the factory reset. Thanks for catching the problem with that screenshot earlier by the way

@pflowerdew wrote:

Tried that, doesn't work. Thanks though

@pflowerdew  Did you restart your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pflowerdew wrote:

You said you did a network reset. You likely now need to go all the way and do a full-on, clear everything factory reset. It's an LG thing. Back up stuff you want to keep.

pflowerdew

Thanks for posting those screenshots - please remove/edit the second image as your name and email are listed.  Also delete the image from your profile page, as it will be shown there too.

You have data (the addon shows 0/1024 MB), and your plan was changed as described.  Your next payment for Aug shows you have a balance.

I believe your APN is correct - I truly think the factory reset is what's now required.

Have you been with Freedom Mobile recently?? This is a carrier that has a lot of these issues coming to Public Mobile.

@pflowerdew wrote:

It's a LG G4 that I bought in 2016.

Here are the APN settings66426657_374578543245912_1777141047701274624_n.png66127073_674818629610381_7950823456692502528_n.png

@pflowerdew  The problem is that the Proxy: field should be left blank. The MMSC proxy should only be set to 74.49.0.18. Once you remove the value from Proxy (It should be blank) then it should start working.

Hope this helps!!Smiley Happy

pflowerdew

Sure thing - here are payment history, overview and plan detailspayment history.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Please post a redacted for privacy reasons, a screenshot of overview, plan details, and payment history screens.  Something isn't right here, and seeing this info may help us help you better.

If you see 'nothing' in your add-ons area on overview than either you do not have data, or it's been fully used up.

All domestic add-ons function in this way, once used, they are cleared from the overview page.

pflowerdew

OK, I have now done that but data still doesn't work. I have tried everybody's solutions except a factory reset, which I am a bit nervous about doing

pflowerdew

I have posted screenshots below

pflowerdew

I posted a screenshot of the APN settings below.

And actually I see nothing under "Add-ons" in my self serve account

pflowerdew

Did the network reset, didn't work. Even tried restarting the phone after that. Thanks for the suggestion though

The LG's are notorious for requiring a FACTORY reset to get things working for the APN.  Please back up your device before performing a factory reset.

pflowerdew

It's a LG G4 that I bought in 2016.

Here are the APN settings66426657_374578543245912_1777141047701274624_n.png66127073_674818629610381_7950823456692502528_n.png

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@popping wrote:

Are you using a LG phone?

If yes, you need to do network reset after changing provider in order to get your data working.  Go to settings.  Search for "reset".  One of the search result will be network reset.

^This, but I wouldn't limit to just LG phones. This is not atypical when switching providers and often a phone will be best served with a network reset. You will lose saved wifi networks and BT devices but that's all.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi

You stated you entered the APN correctly but did not say what you entered. I have seen a few 'correct' entries online for PM, some were incorrrect.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pflowerdew   lts best to start with what phone you are using.

Then can you confirm that the data addon is showing in selfserve under addons. 

And as suggested a screenshot of the apn settings.

We can help from there

Data is usually a phone setup issue, no need for contacting mods.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@pflowerdew wrote:

Hello,

I just changed to the $25 plan which includes 500 MB data, but the Walmart sales rep couldn't get my data to work even after double-checking he entered the APN settings correctly. Data is set to "ON" on my phone.

If data is "on" and APN is correct, what could be keeping me from accessing my data?

Thanks 

@pflowerdew Maybe post a screenshot of your APN settings.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pflowerdew wrote:

Hello,

Thanks 

Are you using a LG phone?

If yes, you need to do network reset after changing provider in order to get your data working.  Go to settings.  Search for "reset".  One of the search result will be network reset.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

When you log into your self serve account is it active and does data limit showing next to data and add-ons ? Try the lost phone trick. To report your phone stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose  Plans and Add-ons tab. Then choose  Lost/Stolen Phone  tab.  The choose  Suspend Service  tab.  Logout.  Wait few minutes.  Login in and report your phone found.    If you still have problems tthen  contact a moderator by messaging them.   Moderator can be reached at  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.