cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data limit exceeded

melanie5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My data limit seems to have been exceeded in the first two days of the month, but my data usage history says otherwise. 

I also noticed that many people say that the data should stop working once the limit is reached but this did not happen in my case. I also didn't get any warning when my limit was being approached. Apparently, I have used 336 MB out of 250MB. 

My question is, why did this happen, how can I ensure that it won't happen again, will I be charged, and why did the data not stop working once the limit was reached. Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30

@dr-et  are you on Android?  

Data Counter widget, it won't give you a warning.  However, since it is a widget, you can setup a widget on the home screen and you can easily see how much data left.  Just make sure you setup the Widget for the proper 30 days cycle and not monthly

dr-et
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

there is no data limititations.

the previous times it happened all my data was consumed within 2=3 days

as i mentioned it happened at  odd hours of the day and always at same time.

I update over wifi annd i have 12gigs  .so iwas very surprised when the message arrived that all my data ws used :}

dr-et

account has been checked  and data available

a third party app with awarning when one gig left would be agood way though

@dr-et 

Are you looking at your dally usage pages to see consumption? Data is updated twice daily in 12 hour blocks. The time is not reflective of when it was used  but when it was updated. The usage would have occured in the 12 hours preceding the update time.

@dr-et   first, I suggest you to install some 3rd party app that track your usage, track your usage on a 30 days cycle as most phone tracker only track monthly

For Android:  Data Counter Widget, Data Witness PM

For iOS: My Data Manager

for you current issue that you have data let but you cannot use, did you check My Account?

If that is the case, there is a chance that you have a data limit setup on your phone itself and it stopped you from using more data.  This usually happens as the data cycle start date on the phone is incorrect.  The phone thought you reached the limit and stopped you from using more:    Something similar to this:

softech_0-1626571272565.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dr-et : There have been reports of spurious data consumption warnings. As long as the data keeps working all should be fine. Be aware of any data limitations that you set up on the phone of course.

As for a lot of data being consumed overnight...turn off your data, control your phone for OS and app updates to be sure they happen on wifi and not data, turn off the option to failover to data when weak or no wifi.

dr-et

hi staliger you are correct but,

it may say that you have data left but cant do anything on the web.

I have the same problem right now on one of my accounts  i am told that i have no data left but when i check, there almost a gig available.

I have also had the issue where gigs of data will be used on consecutive days at the same time

and my data would be consumed sometimes in the middle of the night .

@melanie5 

Your data usage is showing 5.199/250MB. 5.190/5.199 is the data buffer pm uses when you connect to the network (enabling mobile data). This resets overnight or if you toggle airplane mode on/off you will see it reset.

The 0.009MB/250MB is actual usage and is also reflected in the screenshot supplied by @Yummy. If you look thru your app data usage you will likely see that reflected in the OS app that has no option to turn background data off as its an essential app for your device.

The OS will always use a little bit of mobile data when connecting to the network.

@Yummy 

I mentioned you as a FYI because I see you are a big sponge of pm info.....learn something new everyday and you'll turn pro sooner than you think!😃

@melanie5 wrote:

Which app?

Hello @melanie5 

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track.

Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me exactly what I need from it.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@melanie5 

Food for thought.....

• Turn off all background data its not needed and can waste up to 38% of your data.
  • Adjust the settings in your instagram and snapchat accounts to play video on wifi only.
  • Do the same for any other app you may have that plays video content.
  • Resist the urge to scroll thru photos unless you have put them in your gallery app.
  • Make sure you adjust your phone's data tracker for months like july and august that do not have 30 calendar days. 
  • Turn on your data saver in your phone. Turn off wifi assist (iPhone).
  • Set your data warning and limiter to something like 25% and 50% of your plan data. I have mine set to 100mb and 150mb so I can better track my usage and adjust it or save some plan data by the limiter before pm sends out the 75% and 95% data usage warning texts.
  • Public mobile counts all of the data on your account before sending out usage texts. Keep this in mind if you have data add ons or promotional/bonus data on your account.
  • The approximately 5mb you see in your data counter is the buffer pm uses when you connect to the network. It resets overnight or when airplane mode is toggled on/off.
  • Data is updated in two 12 hour blocks daily so a 12 hour delay will cause it to not be as accurate as your overview page's data counter.
  • Your renewal and any text/minute/data counters reset at midnite eastern. If you do not reside in the eastern time zone your phone's ability to monitor the correct usage will be thrown off by up to 3 hours.

melanie5

Thank you everyone! Your help is greatly appreciated:)

LurganIeUk_0-1625683614927.png

You might want to remove Instagram and Snapchat from being used with Data. 

@melanie5 

As mentioned above, trust your Public mobile data tracker in your PM self service account.  That is the official data usage according to PM.  Your phone tracker or other apps are not official.  

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As others have said, you are well within your limits and I wouldn't worry about it.

One thing to check, though. You likely are set up already, but if you go to your Google Play store (app store), you can check and see how updates are handled. If it's set to download updates over WiFI and data, change it to WiFi only to ensure no data is accidentally used during an update.

If you do see data spikes, you can also check app data usage on your phone and limit background data as needed.

mh1983_1-1625683441421.png

@melanie5 

From the screenshot of your Self Serve account you only used 5.191mb so don’t worry about it.

I would strong suggest that you sign up for free wifi with ShawGo wifi, #Telus or coffee shops/businesses. The free wifi will take care of all apps using up some of your data.

@melanie5 wrote:

Which app?

If you are talking to me try @LurganIeUk 

Are the pics you posted not of an APP that tracks data?

melanie5

Which app?

Just use your My Account information. 

Did you reset your app to zero on your renewal date?

I don't use an APP nor do I reset my iPhone. Set your back ground refreshes to WI-Fi only and only allow specific apps to run using data. See that in your settings. Leave your data off all the time, like you say you do, and only turn it on to do quick checks and then turn it back off. 

.. still don't see the 2nd pic..

try using the 3rd party app.. 

melanie5

Sorry, the two photos I meant to post are: 

Screenshot_20210707-134241.png

melanie5

There seems to be a discrepancy. In these photos, it shows I used 100% of my data between june 4 and July 3 while displaying on top that I used only 169 MB. And in the other picture, it says I used 336 MB so far (with 27 days left) in the period between July 4 and August 3. 

Screenshot_20210707-134241.png

cool.. yes, i guess the data looks good then.  

try installing the app on the phone  I like Data counter widget.  It is clear and it has widget to be put on home screen.  Very easy to monitor.  It has has App usage in case you want to see who is the "data killer"

@melanie5 Your Self-service account shows the real usage of your plan/account. From your image it is shown that you are good to go. Used less than 6mb of data during your current 30-day period.

melanie5

I have an Android phone. Here is a photo of the overview tab for the data section. It says that I used only 5MB this month. Thank you everyone for your help!

Screenshot_20210707-133419.png

@melanie5   Show us what you see on Overview Tab on My Account.  There should be a line about how much data you have and how much used.

Are you on Android or iOS, consider installing some mobile data usage app.  Like "My Data Manager" on an iPhone or Android, or "Data Witness PM" on Android or "Data Counter Widget" on Android 

melanie5

I never got any sms text saying that I used 75%. I always make sure to turn the data off, I check constantly to verify. I also checked my data usage several times and I can't seem to find where all this data was used. Last time I checked my data, I was not close to the limit. When I do use the data, I use it for two minutes at a time then turn it off immediately.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@melanie5  Why you said your data "seems to have been exceed".  did you get those SMS by PM saying you used 75% data or so?

What is showing on the Overview Tab on My Account?  do you still have a line showing how much data used vs how much you eligible?  

You said they used up within 2 days.  So, your current cycle starts on July 5 or so?  If you have an Android phone, I think you can change your Mobile Limit start date accordingly and it will show you how much data used there as well.   See if the number matches.  It will also show you which app used how many data.

If you are checking Usage History on My Account, I think there is a 12 hours delay.  So, it's more accurate to wait 12 hours.

Could you please provide screen print from your account where it shows data/phone usage, please.

Yummy_0-1625677838909.png

Very strange. PM does take some data but it 'refunds' it later as per my best knowledge...

Unless you accidentally left 'data on' on your phone?

@melanie5 

Looks like that you are on the lowest data plan, $15 plan with 250 mb data.  That is a small amount of data that can be used up very quickly.  The good news is that PM will not charge you extra.  No overages or surprise charges.  Your data just stops working for this 30 day cycle. 

The usage history can be delayed by several hour, so you can check later today to see whethr there was more data usage.  The PM data tracker is usually fairly accurate.  

Here is some more information on data usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

melanie5

Edit: I barely use my data so something seems to have gone wrong.

Need Help? Let's chat.