cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges of 1 for MMS messages

jenc1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone.

I am new to public mobile for one day, and in that one day I have already used over 1/5 of my 250MB of data, due, I'm guessing to the 11 MMS texts (group messaging, or a text that is too long/big) that have gone out of my account/phone (Call type - Data event). Under the data charges it just shows the number 1, not the 5.016MB or 0.088MB or 0.001MB I see under Wed data searches (Call type - Web).  The total for the the Web call types adds upto 5.105MB while my data used shows 55.742MB so I can only assume that the 11MMS messages (which just list the number 1 under Data Usage) are accounting for the other 50.637MB of data. Can someone please explain. I left Telus due to the data charges I was getting for Group texts from them, and it seems like it is as bad, or even worse, on Public. At this rate I will be through all the 250MB of data within a week or less. Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

@gblackma wrote:

@jenc1  were you switching your data on and off?  Maybe 10 times to receive/ send  mms messages? @NDesai , could it be 10 × 5.00 in change  the phantom charge that appears whenever you turn data on and off? 

@gblackma  No that would not cause that to happen in an a cumulative amount.

@jenc1  With such a low data amount in your plan you must configure your phone to be data efficient. As per previous suggestions....do the following: enable your data tracker and saver, turn off all background data use on 95% of your apps it is not needed for them to function normally. You cannot of turn it off your OS. Everything else you can. I currently have it on for OS, filter provider, maps, messages and photos. The only background use recorded is on the filter provider and the OS. Then make sure you make best use of free WiFi and turn off WiFi scanning unless you need to connect at a particular place. This should solve the majority of your data leakage.

Today I sent / received 48 MMS pictures and 8  20mb videos. My data did not change at all.

It must be something else in your phone consuming your data.

You might want to take a look at your phone settings and ensure that background data is restricted on some apps, that download updates it's wifi only. For maps if you use Google maps you can download offline maps and set it to wifi only as well. 

Turn of wifi assist for iPhones and wifi+ for Android which automatically connects back to mobile data if the wifi network is weak

@gblackma wrote:

@jenc1  were you switching your data on and off?  Maybe 10 times to receive/ send  mms messages? @NDesai , could it be 10 × 5.00 in change  the phantom charge that appears whenever you turn data on and off? 

@gblackma 

In my personal account the "5.xxxMb buffer when enabling data" is not cumulative, it resets itself after a while when not used / airplane mode on&off... There have been reports of minimal (unexplainable) data leakage, but those amounts are in the single digit kb range, as far as I can tell.

55MB? That's to be the OS and/or some apps actually using data.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@jenc1 wrote:

Hi everyone.

I am new to public mobile for one day, and in that one day I have already used over 1/5 of my 250MB of data, due, I'm guessing to the 11 MMS texts (group messaging, or a text that is too long/big) that have gone out of my account/phone (Call type - Data event). Under the data charges it just shows the number 1, not the 5.016MB or 0.088MB or 0.001MB I see under Wed data searches (Call type - Web).  The total for the the Web call types adds upto 5.105MB while my data used shows 55.742MB so I can only assume that the 11MMS messages (which just list the number 1 under Data Usage) are accounting for the other 50.637MB of data. Can someone please explain. I left Telus due to the data charges I was getting for Group texts from them, and it seems like it is as bad, or even worse, on Public. At this rate I will be through all the 250MB of data within a week or less. Thanks 

MMS does not count towards your data bucket - that's why they are labeled differently. The data counter on the self serve landing page shows your total internet activity without MMS sent by your texting app.

If you are using iMessage with SMS function disabled, or internet based messaging apps like TextNow, WhatsApp, FB messenger etc your message will use data.

Other ways to minimize your data usage:

- turn off WiFi assist (iOS) or WiFi+ (Android)

- any OS or app updates via WiFi only

- restrict background data where not absolutely necessary

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jenc1  MMS do not use data so whatever is using data on your device is something else. Check the data usage on your device to find what apps are using up your data.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@jenc1 It does not seem to be possible that MMS used 55MB of data. Did you check your usage on all pages? Check in your phone and see what app used the most data. Also try turning Airplane mode on/off for about 30 sec and see if this adjust your data by a few MBs.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jenc1  MMS shouldn't  consume data. There are not overage charges at PM. Could you check your phone data usage to see if any apps are using your data? And disable them if possible? Also enable update updates only on WiFi. 

@jenc1 wrote:

Hi everyone.

Need Help? Let's chat.