cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charge near U.S. border

penguin13
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On Friday June 30th I visited a relative on the Canadian side of the Aldergrove B.C. border crossing with the U.S.  I was within a couple of hundred yards of the border.  I noticed a spike in my data usage for that date, even thhough I did not use any.  I am still under my limit.  Do I have to shut down my data services when I get within a certain distance of the U.S. border?

5 REPLIES 5

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@penguin13 wrote:

On Friday June 30th I visited a relative on the Canadian side of the Aldergrove B.C. border crossing with the U.S.  I was within a couple of hundred yards of the border.  I noticed a spike in my data usage for that date, even thhough I did not use any.  I am still under my limit.  Do I have to shut down my data services when I get within a certain distance of the U.S. border?

@penguin13 The data spike has nothing to do with the border. If your phone is trying to connect to the US.  towers then you might want to set your phone to manually connect to Public Mobile instead of using auto connect setting.

selva1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is a strange experience unless you have apps working in the background and eating your data more.

@bravo_md wrote:

If you don't use any data then there is no reason to shut your data off. You probably just locked on to one of the US towers.  That happens some times.

How can U.S. tower cause more data use? It won't work without add-on.  If on U.S. tower by accident, that means less data used because plans don't include that and service won't work.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@penguin13 wrote:

You can't be charged anyways. Data won't work without roaming add-on if on U.S. tower.  Any increased data use must have been on Canadian tower.

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you don't use any data then there is no reason to shut your data off. You probably just locked on to one of the US towers.  That happens some times.

Need Help? Let's chat.