cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data and call don't work, text works occasionally

J0HN
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I woke up this morning. All of a sudden I have no reception. Text still works half the time but data and call function are both down. Not sure why, I live in Barrie.

22 REPLIES 22

@roberto24 

you were hacked? how is that even possible? omg another breach...

roberto24

hi my friend.it happened to me a few day ago and i  fixed it changing the sim card. buy a new sim card and transfer it. have a wonderful day

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN honestly if you follow my instructions from my first post and use SIMon. customer support mods will respond right away. 

fraud is prioritized

J0HN
  • Yah i need the phone for work so I can't wait days for a fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@J0HN I suggest not purchasing a sim. moderators will transfer your services back to the sim you currently have

Agreed. But it's an unknown amount of time. Dashing out to get a new SIM at a nearby store may be faster for getting service back.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN I suggest not purchasing a sim. moderators will transfer your services back to the sim you currently have

@J0HN 

You can use this store locator, but call them first to ensure they will sell you the PM sim on its own without having to activate a plan.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN  You have to buy a Public Mobile sim card not any sim it has to be Public Mobile.

Then log into your account and click "change sim card".

J0HN

Really? I can buy any sim in Walmart and it will work right away?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN Sorry this had to happen. When things settle down you need to look into where and how the bad guys were able get into your account. Maybe through your email? Hopefully you did not tie your phone number to any accounts for 2FA or password resets.

For everyone else reading, this is yet another example of why having your phone number tied to this sort of thing is a really bad idea. Advice from @Jb456 and @JoyLuck is spot on. Lock down your accounts if required. Then when all the dust is settled, look into where they got the required info to get into your PM account and start moving all your accounts away from phone based 2FA and password resets. Even Microsoft is now advising people to go to an authenticator app. I use one as do others on here. It takes some time to migrate everything over but in the long run the peace of mind it gives is well worth the effort.

@J0HN  start changing all your passwords immediately. PM login, all apps that have that number attached, banks, email accounts, social media. Everything!

Reach out to moderators also.

Fastest way to get your number in control again is going out and buying a new sim card at a Walmart or if you have a London drugs in your area. Log into your account and click change sim card and enter the new number. Or wait till mods get back to you they have done it in past that they were able to get the current sim card working again after a sim jack.

Sorry this has happened to you!

@J0HN wrote:

Oh it is different. So my PB account is hacked?

Yes.

Put your phone in lost/stolen mode in self service and change the password. Go check all your financials and change password if necessary. After your financials are secure contact a moderator.

Here’s how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Choose the chat bubble in the lower right hand corner and follow the prompts. 
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

J0HN

Oh it is different. So my PB account is hacked?

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN 

Go into self service and choose Change Sim Card. Check the last 4 digits there with the SIM card in your phone to ensure they match.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN  a few things to check.

1 when is your renewal? Was it possibly today and the system was not able to collect your payment?

2 Is your account active or suspended?

3 If active and not suspended. While in your account click "change sim card" green arrow on picture below.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

It will show you last 4 digits of the sim card. Now take out the sim from your phone do they match?

If they don't match, you been a victim of being sim jacked.

As for your comment on I can still kind of text. If you have an iPhone. It likely uses iMessage which works on wifi or data. Which is not the traditional text system. If you have an android and have RCS turned on. Then again it's like iMessage and uses wife or data and not traditional text system which would explain why you can still text if you been a victim of sim jacking until they remove your phone from those features.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

change pass,sim,number~2.jpeg

@J0HN login to your self serve account and click on "change sim" make sure the last 4 digits match the sim card in your phone. if it doesn't match then someone is commiting fraud. change your passwords right away not just for public mobile, but for all your financial institutions

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html
type "security or identity fraud issue"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "click here to submit a ticket!)
*login using your community account

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

@J0HN...

if you haven't...try cycling phone off / on again.

Try Airplane mode on / then off.

J0HN

Nope. Did that twice already.

@J0HN 

Maybe try rebooting your phone.  Network reset if that does not work. 

J0HN

Still have plenty of data left and it's active. Texting doesnt work either now.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN...

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@J0HN wrote:

When I woke up this morning. All of a sudden I have no reception. Text still works but data and call function are both down. Not sure why?

Can you log into self service to see what your account status is? Was your plan up for renewal?

Need Help? Let's chat.