cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Use Discrepancy

DMcAP
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Using public mobile to replace a dial-up internet account so I am very aware of data use.  I cannot account for some very high usage in my account (340 mb and 510 mb).  My iPad does not show any such usage in its history.  Does public mobile really get the data use correct and how do we check or correct discrepancies?

9 REPLIES 9

DMcAP

The latest on the monitoring.  The VPN monitor is often over and sometimes under the recorded usage shown on public mobile.  I have found that some ordinary web sites have a heavy data load, especially if you get signed out of accounts like outlook.  For Kijiji users, that is a data heavy site.  The way ahead is to just monitor regularly and avoid sites that are not efficient.

I am one month in on public mobile.  The VPN monitor will be in place for a complete month once my account rolls over to its second.

Thanks for all the comments.

DMcAP

Thanks for all the comments.  I am keeping a close watch on the data use as given the high amounts I won’t last the 30 days!  Now have a VPN data monitor installed on the iPad to see what that is doing (as opposed to the history on the device) but the hotspot from my old Samsung mobile cannot be monitored as it is a bit too old!  Maybe it is eating some data but I don’t think so.

Yes, happy that the usage is not real time on the public mobile site.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DMcAP wrote:

Using public mobile to replace a dial-up internet account so I am very aware of data use.  I cannot account for some very high usage in my account (340 mb and 510 mb).  My iPad does not show any such usage in its history.  Does public mobile really get the data use correct and how do we check or correct discrepancies?

@DMcAP are you looking in your usage history page?  If so, are you seeing those 340 and 510mb figures with a time stamp on or near 12:00?  Please note that the usage history page is not real-time.  Your usage is reported approx every 12 hours (around midnight and noon, eastern times) and shows the total used since the last update (so over the previous 12 hours).  So what you're seeing is you used 340 or 510mb over the course of the 12 hours leading up to that update.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This topic comes up from time to time.  The data meter is properly calibrated and legal tender.  Evidence has never been brought up which refutes the meter accuracy. 

With it being an iOS device, my thoughts lead directly to the WiFi Assist option being enabled, but if you've been doing this for a while, I'm sure it's already disabled.  I don't have a cellular iOS device, so I wouldn't know what to look for other than that.

On my Android, I find very little difference between my installed data monitor, and the PM reported values.  It's within 100mb / 90-day cycle.  I've been here for 2+ years now, and haven't had a reason to question the data meter.

@stonechucker wrote:

@DMcAP, not sure if you've taken into account, data amounts are posted twice daily, and listed without designating AM/PM.  

That is a great point but I beleive in this case the PM usage is showing higher than what they beleive their actual use is.  I need to remember the posting only twice a day tahnks for the reminder

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Theknight

I have been switching between  many providers and I have never seen any significant discrepancy in terms of data usage 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@DMcAP, not sure if you've taken into account, data amounts are posted twice daily, and listed without designating AM/PM.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@DMcAP wrote:

I use a data tracker app and it is pretty close.  Not sure what they are on iOS is it data manager.  Although I have a large data bucket I may have some discrepencies that I don't even worry about them.  I just check my data usage to see if I am close to my limit

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.