cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

tmlluc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,  

I ordered the 15$ plan for my 10 year old son. It has been 12 days since he has had the plan.

Everyday at the same time between 12:30pm and 12:55pm.  He roughly uses the same amount of data 16Megs.  but he doesn't leave the house as he is doing his online homework till 2pm.  So how is it he is incurring this data usage, while at home in WIFI?

Thank you! 

10 REPLIES 10

payammasjedi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In the iPhone Cellular setting, go all the way down and disable the option that says “Wifi Assist” since that uses data to keep the speed even when using wifi.

In Android go to Network Setting and set the data limit to specific number and add a warning at a level for example, limit at 90 MB and warning at 50MB.

I also recommend to set data usage and data allowance to specific needs and disable from the rest. In iPhone for example, disable the data on apps and in Android, disabling auto update on apps or background helps a lot.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tmlluc 

@tmlluc wrote:

Hello,  

I ordered the 15$ plan for my 10 year old son. It has been 12 days since he has had the plan.

Everyday at the same time between 12:30pm and 12:55pm.  He roughly uses the same amount of data 16Megs.  but he doesn't leave the house as he is doing his online homework till 2pm.  So how is it he is incurring this data usage, while at home in WIFI?

Thank you! 

To make sure wifi assist is off these are the steps:

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings. > Cellular.
  2. Tap the Wi-Fi Assist switch (requires scrolling to the bottom) to turn on or off 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zakhan78 wrote:

Please keep data off in the phone while at home, also MMS need data to be turned on to send MMS messages, so avoid MMS.  Also you can check in self serve account on data usage history.

@tmlluc 

Although MMS data usage does not count against your son's 250MB data, he needs to enable data in order to send/receive MMS.

iPhone iMessage will use wifi to send picture message to other iPhone iMessage, you can disable data when he is at home.  But his friends with Android phone will not get the MMS picture.

You can teach your son to enable data when he wants to send picture MMS and disable data after send/receive.

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@tmllucThen you will want to do as @kselmak said and go through all the options and disable everything that they mentioned.

tmlluc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@pharaohpeter iphone 8

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@tmlluc  Best to go on the device and check the data usage by app for that time period to find the culprit.

zakhan78

Please keep data off in the phone while at home, also MMS need data to be turned on to send MMS messages, so avoid MMS.  Also you can check in self serve account on data usage history.

pharaohpeter

@tmlluc  Which phone does he have? Make sure to go through all the wifi/data settings and turn off anything like background data, push notifications, wifi boost, etc. Also make sure that the data is set to off! I used to have an iPhone and it would turn itself on throughout the day.

Smartphones these days are always connected, so it's hard to keep them completely data free, but it is possible.

I hope this helps!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check usage history in his self serve account.  Make sure data is turned off and automatic updates are disabled.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @tmlluc 

iMessages is often not set to sms but iMessage

There is also fine background stuff not that shouldn't be more than 5 megs monthly

Check the settings

Turn off WiFi assist (when you boost WiFi signal with data)

Disable updates on data

Restrict background data

In the data usage you should be able to see which apps used up the data, and check their individual settings

Need Help? Let's chat.