cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Overages

DG33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What happens if I'm at the end of my data for the month. Am I charged overage or does my data stop until the next cycle? Thanks 

13 REPLIES 13

@Korth wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

As a side note, my dad just got back from the US with a 250MB roaming add-on, and indicated he got both 75% and 95% warnings there.

Do you know if this was with a US Data plan or with a US Roaming add-on?

It was specifically the $20 US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10-day) Add-on, with the current $50 4.5GB+500MB plan, not the grandfathered $60 plan:

usroam.png

@Nezgar wrote:

As a side note, my dad just got back from the US with a 250MB roaming add-on, and indicated he got both 75% and 95% warnings there.

Do you know if this was with a US Data plan or with a US Roaming add-on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar : I would put roaming in a whole 'nother camp.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 : I think he was  trying to say that the texts come when your total available data is down to those thresholds. Whether plan data or add-on data. The total.

At least that's how I understand it.

I have yet to see confirmation that someone with an add-on who has consumed all of their in-plan data + domestic add-on data has received any usage warning. It definitely doesn't come when the in-plan data has been exceeded. It would be great if anyone can confirm.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : I think he was  trying to say that the texts come when your total available data is down to those thresholds. Whether plan data or add-on data. The total.

At least that's how I understand it.

Edit: or not 🙂 but I seem to think one would get the texts

@computergeek541 wrote:

I've received them when not having a data add-on. The text messages warning me of nearly using up data came in as expected and data promptly stopped working as soon as the plan data was consumed.

I should have worded that better... Smiley Very Happy IF you do have a data add-on, you won't get the warning texts. If you don't have a data add-on, you will get the warning texts.

@Nezgar wrote:

@Korth wrote:

You get SMS notifications at 75% and at 95%. At 100% your Data gets cut off. (It's still connected, it's still available for SMS/MMS events, but otherwise it forces redirect to the "why won't my data work?" PM webpage.)

Unless you have a data add-on, (like the 1GB holiday promo) you don't get those 75% and 95% texts... Have to pay special attention to counters in the phone, and on self-serve...

I've received them when not having a data add-on. The text messages warning me of nearly using up data came in as expected and data promptly stopped working as soon as the plan data was consumed.

@Korth wrote:

You get SMS notifications at 75% and at 95%. At 100% your Data gets cut off. (It's still connected, it's still available for SMS/MMS events, but otherwise it forces redirect to the "why won't my data work?" PM webpage.)

Unless you have a data add-on, (like the 1GB holiday promo) you don't get those 75% and 95% texts... Have to pay special attention to counters in the phone, and on self-serve...

You can pay for data add-ons. You can pay to renew your plan (and data provision) early. You can use (free) WiFi hotspots, etc.

Device-side softwares (built into the OS or installed apps) which measure data usage are not accurate. Network-side metrics are the ones counted on billing. There's always some discrepancy, often inconsequential (only a few MB), but sometimes the difference can be significantly large (many hundreds of MB). So the software is a good rough measure but check usage reported by Self-Serve if you're worried about approaching data limits.

@Triguy wrote:

Data stops once you reach your limit.  You would have to wait until your next renewal or you could purchase a data-on.

If more data is needed, another option would be to renew the plan earlier. However, that requires an immediate payment and requires the customer to ask the moderators to perform this task.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can get good free apps that are data managers, these apps will allow to set the amount of data you have  from your plan. The good apps break down Data between Mobile and Wifi, and send you notifications if you are get close running out. They can also tell if what other apps are using your bandwidth too.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Data stops once you reach your limit.  You would have to wait until your next renewal or you could purchase a data-on.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@DG33 no charges, it just  stops till your next cycle. Even if you run out of data, keep it on, since you need data enabled to send/receive mms messages.

@DG33 wrote:

What happens if I'm at the end of my data for the month. Am I charged overage or does my data stop until the next cycle? Thanks 

Need Help? Let's chat.