cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only with Canada Wide Minutes a possibility?

a2z
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to have 1G of LTE data.

I do an occasional voice call, say about 20 local minutes in a month.

I don't call outside of Victoria.

Do you think I can use the Data Only plan and buy 500 Canada Wide minutes each month, or does Data Only really mean data and ONLY data, i.e. no voice?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That's one thing I don't get, you can't add something unless you already have it. All carriers seem to be going this way but it wasn't always the case... Could even be perceived as minor price gouging... I know the higher ups make the decisions, not trying to lay guilt anywhere here. It's just not right overall IMO

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@a2z wrote:

Do you think I can use the Data Only plan and buy 500 Canada Wide minutes each month, or does Data Only really mean data and ONLY data, i.e. no voice?

Thanks in advance.

@a2z  Forget getting minutes, just buy the data only plan and install the Textnow app to make calls/texts. TextNow will work on wifi using none of your data, or if you do use your cellular data for the calls, 20 minutes will only be about 0.01 gb (500 kb/min).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@a2z, if you only going to be calling for about 20 minutes of calls, and wanting to get a data-add-on for $30, it isn't worth it for you. At a total cost of $45, you are better off getting the $25 plan for an extra $10. Bumping up to from 3G to 4G LTE, for me wasn't worth the extra cost. I was on 4G on a grandfathered plan but step down to 3G, and I was okay with the down-grade. I saw a minor difference but it was okay with me. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 1.52.48 AM.png

Are you wanting the data because you are self-quarantine due to the pandemic? If so, depending where you live in Victoria, you could borrow some data from other places. Read this post, for further ideas.  

If that isn't possible, and the cost isn't a factor, go for the $50 plan which will give you an impressive 8.5 gigs of data! 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

No @a2z neither of the 2 options that you suggest are possible.  The good news is that all the voice plans offer 4gb LTE data throttled to 3 mbps ( and 3g data unthrottled and max speeds of either 21 to 42 mbps depending on the band)1 . So, if you are okay wth the data being throttled a and will pay for your plan with a credit card, then the $25 plan is perfect for you. 

Screenshot_20200323-005503.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a2z wrote:

Thanks in advance.

You need a talk component to buy talk add-ons.

I suggest going for the $25 plan. The "3G" data at 3Mbps speed is fine for almost all uses and it actually is LTE...just throttled down for speed.

@a2z wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but it's not currently offered (a plan with both talk and LTE data).  Also, you cannot add minutes to a plan that doesn't already have calling included. It might allow you to add it, but the minutes won't work.

Need Help? Let's chat.