cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only account for 30 days 2 or 3 times a year ?

SHMD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Quick question as I am new to publicmobile...

I would like to use PM as backup data for a special use case when traveling as I use special devices that bond multipul LTE sources to prevent data drop. I presently have a Rogers SIM and Bell SIM and I am looking to add PM (Telus infrastructure) as a third fail-safe data option.

I have lots of networking and cell data knowledge, but the only question I have for publicmobile users is - can I purchase a SIM load it with data and use it for 30 days. Than maybe 2 or 3 months later load it again for 30 days? I will only need data so I do not care if mobile number associated with account changes every time I load the card.

I just don't want to have to buy a new sim card and activate a new account everytime I need to us PM. 

Thanks'

-s

8 REPLIES 8

SHMD

@stonechucker wrote:

EDITED: NOTE, Telus and Bell (currently) share the network across the country.  Is using Telus and Bell as redundancies appropriate?  Maybe for a third network, Freedom is a better option?

Thanks! - I am usually in rural areas and in most every case is never in Freedom home coverage areas, Therefore I am looking into more of a redundancy if data runs out on one of the sims or we need to bond additional SIMs data connections for more speed. 

I picked up a Public Mobile card today and ran through testing settings and bonding. Looks like it will work perfect for what I need!

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@SHMD, I know you've marked this as solved, but there's a possibly better solution to make the renewal less often.

Get a 90-day data-only plan which can be used for up to 90-days, and if you run out during the 90-days, top-up 1-time use data is $30 for 1 GB (at whichever 'speed' you select for the base plan).

When the 90-day expires, you will still have a 90-day window to re-activate without losing the use of that SIM.

EDITED: NOTE, Telus and Bell (currently) share the network across the country.  Is using Telus and Bell as redundancies appropriate?  Maybe for a third network, Freedom is a better option?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SHMD wrote:

Thanks everyone, going to pick a SIM card up today and give it a test. I will post an update when I run data test as our equipment will contect to Rogers, Bell and Telus towers all at the same time.

I like the idea of a user based support system!

-s

Warning: Don't run speed test first week after activation because PM let you use full LTE speed which will consume 300MB data or more per speed test depending on how fast is your phone.

SHMD

Thanks everyone, going to pick a SIM card up today and give it a test. I will post an update when I run data test as our equipment will contect to Rogers, Bell and Telus towers all at the same time.

I like the idea of a user based support system!

-s

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes you should be able to do this. If you load up your plan with data for 30 days and then let slip into suspended mode (don't pay/renew) your account will stay open (but not in use) for another 90 days. If before that 90 days is up, you add enough funds to reactivate the original plan the cycle will statrt over. 

eg 

Jan - activate account with Data

Feb - suspended

Mar - suspended

Apr - suspended - add funds before end of Apr to kick statrt again.

May - account active with Data

lather, rinse, repeat

NOTE: 30 days is NOT monthly - so the above example the days may be slightly off.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SHMD wrote:

Quick question as I am new to publicmobile...

I would like to use PM as backup data for a special use case when traveling as I use special devices that bond multipul LTE sources to prevent data drop. I presently have a Rogers SIM and Bell SIM and I am looking to add PM (Telus infrastructure) as a third fail-safe data option.

I have lots of networking and cell data knowledge, but the only question I have for publicmobile users is - can I purchase a SIM load it with data and use it for 30 days. Than maybe 2 or 3 months later load it again for 30 days? I will only need data so I do not care if mobile number associated with account changes every time I load the card.

I just don't want to have to buy a new sim card and activate a new account everytime I need to us PM. 

Thanks'

-s

You can disable autopay and let your account status to suspended,  But you account will be canceled after 90 days and need another PM SIM card.  You can re-start your plan every 85 days after suspension.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SHMD

The account can remain inactive for a period up to 90 days after that account closed sim cancelled...

ColdWinters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I believe that should be fine based on what I have read and seen.  You should not need to buy a new SIM, but simply add another 'plan' when you are ready. 

Need Help? Let's chat.