cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Issue

willian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I just switched from freedom to public and countered an issue on the same day.

I traveled from Ottwa to Kingston this afternoon and using google map to guide me home.

During my way, i got first message telling me I used 75% of my 1G data, and soon another one told me 95%  in 2 mins. I did not downloaded anyting. 

After go to my account, and useage history, no data usage is found.

Would you please check out what is going on? Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

SQuinless
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Willian,

This is a common issue that I have seen many times before. What many people don’t know is that smart phones continue to work and use data while not physically being used. In other words, while your phone is in your pocket/bag or sitting on a dash mount in your car, your phone is constantly sending and receiving information in the background. There are ways of reducing the amount of usage by not allowing apps to use data or track information while not in use. Or in settings, you can turn off “Background App Refresh” to stop apps from runnning in the background while not in use.

If you are using an iPhone here is a little trick. Open your Maps and search for a destination that you are going. Your phone will load all the directions and route that you will take. Once you do that you can put your phone in Airplane Mode and your phone will continue to provide you with directions without using any further data.

That being said, there are some cons to this. First, you will not be able to make or receive phone calls/texts. Second, if you go off course from the prescribed route your phone will not make the adjustments until you turn airplane mode back off so it can load the new route based on your new location (at which point you can turn your phone back to airplane mode). Of course you would have to stop and do these adjustments since it is dangerous to do while driving. If you have a co-pilot then they can do this for you. 

This is a good trick to help you save data especially since you only have 1GB. Hope this helps, good luck!

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's most likely that you didn't have maps for routes already downloaded onto your phone and maps + Google Ads + Google Points of Interest were being downloaded as you drive.

Here's a pretty good article on Google Map to reduce data usage (link).

BTW: I believe if you have maps turned on during a walk, it'll use live data (not offline).

@Tony8I think the best way is to have a good understand your phone's operating system and about what data the apps you install do in the background. Also just in case, have a good anti virus if applicable for your OS would help too.

Tony8

I worry that will happen to my data one day. I wonder what apps used it all?

You can pre-download routeable maps on wifi that stay in your phone. You don't need  data on at all to use Google maps.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@willian wrote:

Hi, I just switched from freedom to public and countered an issue on the same day.

I traveled from Ottwa to Kingston this afternoon and using google map to guide me home.

During my way, i got first message telling me I used 75% of my 1G data, and soon another one told me 95%  in 2 mins. I did not downloaded anyting. 

After go to my account, and useage history, no data usage is found.

Would you please check out what is going on? Thanks

@willian Check the data usage on your phone to find out what was eating up your data. If you still can't determine what the problem was check the usage history online. If you still have doubts you can notify PM but from my experience their data counter is pretty accurate.To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

MandyJ

Is it possible that your apps were updating in the background when your phone connected to the mobile network? Or perhaps your photos/videos synced with your google account (or the like)? (Had that happen to me once. Oops.)

Have you checked to see what your actual phone shows for your data usage?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@willian 

If you don't see data in your add on section, that means that you used up your data.  You could check your data usage in your self service account.  Under view my usage tab. 

Need Help? Let's chat.