cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous no Wi-Fi calling service

Mreekster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My dog was attacked by a cougar in a low service area outside of Courtenay BC and I needed to make an emergency call from my friends house. I went to turn on my Wi-Fi calling and it wouldn’t work. I had to wait til my wife returned with the car. By this time my dog had died. I found out that the next tier service Koodo has Wi-Fi calling and so does Telus. This is terrible! What would’ve happened if this was my grandson?! This is a software switch by the mother Corp Telus. This terrible. Safety should not have surrendered in a low cost service just because I am visiting a friend in a low service area. 

8 REPLIES 8

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mreekster wrote:

Every iPhone after the 5c has Wi-Fi calling 

@Mreekster this is from the koodo website.  so if you feel WIFI calling is essential you might need to switch to Koodo postpaid.

How do I use Wi-Fi Calling on my Android?How do I use Wi-Fi Calling on my iPhone?
In order to enable and use Wi-Fi calling, you’re going to need:

LG G7 ThinQ, LG Q Stylo+, LG X Power3, LG G6, LG V30, LG Q6, LG G5, Samsung Note 9, Samsung A8, Samsung GS9/GS9+, or newer.

An iPhone 6 or newer
A Koodo postpaid monthly plan (sorry, Wi-Fi Calling isn’t available on prepaid plans)A Koodo postpaid monthly plan (sorry, Wi-Fi Calling isn’t available on prepaid plans)
Android version 7.0 and up, and software version H87315C and upiOS 11.3 or newer (remember to update your carrier settings when prompted to do so)

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mreekster wrote:

Okay, but not every provider allows it and I think it's only been recently added to the big three. I'm not saying it's right; it's just the way it is. 

Mreekster

mh1983

I'm sorry to hear about what happened, too. That's awful. But yes, unfortunately WiFi calling is not available for all devices even if it is available via certain service providers. I'd recommend to have a backup WiFi calling app such as Fongo. Unfortunately, no technology is perfect nor 100% reliable, and we get that reminder when this sort of sad news happens.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I am sorry about your dog. But  I beleive only certain modes of  phones have wifi calling on telus or Koodo,   no matter if the phone is capable or not. 

Mreekster

Here lies the problem the network from public mobile works outside about a five   minute drive from the house and I have wifi in the house and outside the house. That should be able to bridge the network if there is no service 

XionBunny

I hate to be that guy but sounds like OP was complaining for the sake of it, besides there are a million and one VoIP apps that work over wifi in a pinch or data for that matter if that type of feature was really needed, I personally use fongo as my backup.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@MreeksterSince I highly doubt there is wifi in the wilderness.. voice over wifi calling unfortunately would not help in this case. Also note voice over wifi will often not give the first responders accurate location either. Currently the best reach for cellular communication short of a satellite phone like Spot is still probably still Rogers because of their legacy 2G capability.

It would be useful for you to petition your local MLA as there is a project called Connected Coast that is spending money on upgrading communication infrastructure in BC. More info here.

Need Help? Let's chat.