cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged packaging - safe to use?

Kei1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The sim card envelope has been ripped in half but the shipping packaging from Amazon was intact. Is it safe to use?  I am worried it may have been tampered with or the sim card # may have been accessed.Product came as picturedProduct came as pictured

15 REPLIES 15

@Kei1 wrote:

I tried activating the first time and it was fine but then I got an error after submitting on the last step. Now whenever I try it says it's an invalid sim card. Even after waiting over night and switching browsers and everything.

Thanks for the replies everyone

That's because of the prevuous activation attempt, and not because of the envelope being opened. I would put it your phone to see if it was activated. Sometimes, when a customer gets error messages such as this, the account does get opened, but the self serve account doesn't get created or a moderator's help is needed to get the service working.

@Kei1 

Check your credit card to make sure that you were not charged.  Sometimes, it already activated.  If charged, try the SIM card in your phone.  

Chrome incognito mode works well with this website if you want to try again.  

Kei1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried activating the first time and it was fine but then I got an error after submitting on the last step. Now whenever I try it says it's an invalid sim card. Even after waiting over night and switching browsers and everything.

Thanks for the replies everyone

@GinYVR wrote:

@Ed404SIMjacking is often targetted. If someone really want to serruptitiously get the IMEI number, they won't damage the packaging like that to gain access. You can easily dislodge the card enough to see the bar code on the card.

They wouldn't rip it in half to make more obvious it was opened. It got caught in mail sorter or someome thought it was junkmail and ripped it to put in garbage. Simple explanation is likely.

@Ed404SIMjacking is often targetted. If someone really want to serruptitiously get the IMEI number, they won't damage the packaging like that to gain access. You can easily dislodge the card enough to see the bar code on the card.

@Luddite wrote:

@popping wrote:

PM logo on the SIM card package as well as SIM card itself is still orange.  

At amazon orange are $7.69, blue $9.98. I say buy orange and save $2.59 (in Ontario). Robot wink

lol as if there's any important difference

@popping wrote:

At amazon orange are $7.69, blue $9.98. I say buy orange and save $2.59 (in Ontario). Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

Best to ask for a replacement sim card. The poch it was in didn't tear by itself. It may have been tampered with.

But to what end?  Sim card numbers are almost in a predictable sequence. If you have seen one sim card number, it's not too difficult to guess a bunch of others.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Kei1Best way to find out is to try and activate it . If you get an invalid sim card error as soon as you enter the number then more than likely is been previously activated.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Best to ask for a replacement sim card. The poch it was in didn't tear by itself. It may have been tampered with.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just try it and if it doesn't work get a new one. It'd probably take 1-2 days for another one to be shipped.

@popping wrote:

Are you trying to say that it's okay as long as it hasn't changed colors from water damage, etc.?

Public Mobile sim cards haven't had any orange on them for quite a while, but i'm sure that wasn't the point.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kei1 wrote:

The sim card envelope has been ripped in half but the shipping packaging from Amazon was intact. Is it safe to use?  I am worried it may have been tampered with or the sim card # may have been accessed.Product came as picturedProduct came as pictured

I wouldn't worry about it. That's paper stock that you're supposed to dispose of for recycling anyway.

As for tampering, it's a sim card number that hasn't been activated yet. If it bothers you, ask Public Mobile for a replacement (if you ordered directly).

Need Help? Let's chat.