cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cubot X18 Plus work on the Publis Mobile netwok?

jay200
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I have tried my phone with a Telus SIM and I can only text and not make any calls. Neiter text or calling works with the Bell SIM, and both seem to work when I tested a Rogers SIM in store. I can't understand why there's such a different when most carriers seem to use similar frequencies. My phone uses the following. Will it work on the Public Mobile network?

2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz
3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz
4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B20 800MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,FDD B8 900MHz

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

@jay200, in addition to what others have stated, texting can also work on LTE. Only calls absolutely need 3G.

Thanks @sheytoon, I keep forgetting that texting works over LTE.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jay200

Hi, yes I was with Telus and was only able to text but not make calls. I just switched to Rogers today and calling and texting works perfectly. I appreciate everyones help here! You knew more than anyone could tell me at both the Telus, Bell and Rogers stores combined. When I get a new phone I'll definitely look into switching to Public Mobile. 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@jay200, in addition to what others have stated, texting can also work on LTE. Only calls absolutely need 3G.

srlawren

@Oana_S wrote:

Hey @jay200,

You may find it useful to check the following link https://www.frequencycheck.com

Please let us know if you have other questions, we`ll be more than happy to help out!

Best regards 🙂

@Oana_S there is a very large problem with frequencycheck.com.  They think that Public Mobile (https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/public-mobile-canada?c_id=1154288) has a 2G GSM network on the 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies, but PM does not offer any 2G GSM whatsoever.  Sending people to this link is almost guaranteed to produce false positivies for compatibility.

EDIT: I should add, they are also missing a ton of 4G LTE bands that Public Mobile does offer, at least in some areas of the country.  They only list band 4--which admittedly is the "core" LTE band offered nation-wide--and miss out on B2, 5, 7, 12, 30, and others. Full list is located here, thanks to @sheytoonhttps://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822...

Instead, the communtiy tends to send people to https://www.willmyphonework.net.  It does not suffer from this issue.  I strongly recommend you consider sending people there in the future instead of frequencycheck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hey @jay200,

You may find it useful to check the following link https://www.frequencycheck.com

Please let us know if you have other questions, we`ll be more than happy to help out!

Best regards 🙂

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jay200 wrote:

Thank you for your help! I guess I'll have to go with Rogers for now and be more careful in selecting a Chinese phone in the future. 

Let us know what you are interested in before you purchase.  I gleefully savage phones bought overseas, every oportunity I get.  Others here like them.  Most of us here want you to purchase a phone that will work.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jay200 wrote:

Thank you for your help! I guess I'll have to go with Rogers for now and be more careful in selecting a Chinese phone in the future. 

In the furture, when purchasing a chinese phone make sure it states Global Version (not Global ROM) and you should be ok with coverage.

jay200

srlawren

@jay200 I agree with @wetcoaster, this phone is a very poor choice for public mobile (applies also to: Koodo, Telus, Bell, Virgin, Lucky).  Without 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G frequencies it will be useless for calling and texting.  And the only 4G LTE band supported by both the phone and the Telus network PM runs on is B7, and that's not available country-wide, only in certain areas.  So this phone will give you data, in some areas of major citites, and that's about it.

@jay200 wrote:

Here are some more details that might be helpful:

2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz
3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz
4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B20 800MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,FDD B8 900MHz

Second set of specs says this phone from overseas doesn't work on the Telus /Bell network (Public Mobile = Telus, Telus and Bell also share network infrastructure). 

3G band B2 and B5 are needed for texting and talk to work.

It still works on the Rogers network until sometime next year because of the 2G frequencies ( which Telus and Bell don't have)

jay200

Need Help? Let's chat.