cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage in Canada & the US concerns

4kaz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking at switching our phones from Rogers to Public Mobile, however, I have concerns about coverage. We live in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, directly on the Port Huron, Michigan border, and we travel by car all the way down the I75 to stay in Fort Myers, Florida each winter. Do they have coverage everywhere in Canada and the US? I have looked at the coverage map, but can’t seem to see coverage everywhere necessary. So it uses Telus towers in Canada? What about in the US? I’m concerned with switching and being without coverage (we have grandfathered Rogers plans that I’d never be able to get back). It also doesn’t bode well, as a potential customer, that I can’t ask an actual employee these questions, and must rely on the advice of users (I made an account, verified the address, started a ticket, but, it would seem, that because I’m not yet a customer, it won’t verify me, so I can't actually submit it).

31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@4kaz 

Yep people are definetly one or the other....its rare for someone to switch teams!

@darlicious : Or "forced" to switch due to the death of the OS. (BB OS10)

@4kaz 

Yep people are definetly one or the other....its rare for someone to switch teams!

4kaz

I am definitely an Apple person…iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Apple Watch, AirTag and so do all of my family. The price tag is ridiculous though…hence why we are using 8+’s.

@4kaz 

If you have your heart set on only an iPhone with e-sim then it's a bit of an expenditure. B&H has a deal zone Google Pixel 3xl for US $200. You still get a quality phone and camera with e-sim. Then you can e-sim with mint mobile for US $15/4gb per month and call forward your pm $15 plan to a fongo number for seamless calling.....mint has some good deals on iPhones with 6 months of free service but that doesn't benefit your circumstances.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1665294-REG/google_ga01296_us_pixel_3_xl_64gb.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4kaz : Yup it adds up in a hurry if you need that much data for mobile purposes. You can often get by using wifi whether at home or in hotels, coffee shops etc but not Waze while mobile. Google Maps can display offline with your GPS position but not directions as you're going.

I was just trying to figure out your overall cost per year averaged out per month.

You could also use voip apps for talk and text while on wifi or data. Back to the $25 plan and the $20 1gb add-on would be the same $55 per month average cost. Still less than your $71.

4kaz

It's weird times as not out a lot right now, certainly not like pre-Covid. Son is doing college from home. Husband works from home at times. I'd have to go back nearly 2 years to see "usual" use. Very little SMS and "talk"...everything I do uses data (if not home), FaceTime audio/video, iMessage, WhatsApp (our daughter lives in the UK), plus I use Waze if driving somewhere else. We'd probably want 4 or 5gb each. And we go to Florida for most of the winter (just not last year)...so the fact that we'd have to pay to roam in the US makes it a non-starter until I have a phone capable of doing eSIM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4kaz : So that's $71 average per month overall with 6 months of roaming at $10 per...per phone. (one odd one?)

Then it's about what you use. Do you only talk? Do you text? Both? And that nice bucket of shared data that you don't use all of...how much do you generally use on average if you've ever figured that out?

We often get people asking about family or shared plans. This place doesn't do that either.

So the unlimited talk/text here is $25 with some data. Buying the $20 roaming add-on bundle every 10 days for 180 days adds up to $55 average per month overall.

4kaz

$200 for 3 iphones ($100 + $55 + $45), 2 of them with $10 US same as canada, all 3 with canada-wide calling and texting, voicemail, call display, etc,...we share 14gb, which we've never gone over.

Go with Public Mobile in Canada. 

Go with mintmobile or tracfone while in USA. 

Forget about Esim. There will have to be years of overlap as there will continue millions of sim taking phone for many years. And if some one only offers Esim only....you know what they say....you snooze, you loose. 

If you have wifi in Florida then consider voip.ms as you can set up an ATA box linked to a land line phone set.....you can call out and you can assign an appropriate caller ID to it. It is portable and when not using with a DID would cost a dollar month or cancel the DID and cost zero a month. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4kaz : What are you paying for your old grandfathered plan? ... if you'd be willing to share. Not any extra costs (although can be a part of it too). Not the roaming that we already know. Not paying down a device.

Edit: And do you use it just for talk? Or just text? Both? Any mobile data?

4kaz

No, I understand the eSIM thing. I have an iPhone, so not dual sim, eSIM is from 11 on, I have an 8+. We've done the swapping sims, it's not convenient, especially for my husband who uses  his phone to stay in touch with work while away. Will have to wait. I got so excited about PM, but it just doesn't work with the roaming for us.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4kaz : I'm wondering that you might be confused with the eSIM thing. Some phones are dual-SIM using two SIM slots. Others indeed have one SIM slot and the eSIM option as their dual-SIM. You can always remove the one SIM and insert another.

But, as I'm sure you have, I would look at your overall cost of ownership. What do you pay for the year? What would you pay for lesser costs when you're home and lesser costs when away? Yes there may be some convenience issues. But what's that worth to you?

As for the border problem...you can manually choose your carrier rather than letting it automatically connect to whatever it can find.

4kaz

Yes, we are snowbirds and are there nearly half a year.

Not only that, we live 5 minutes to the US and cell phones here bounce off the American towers a lot. Before getting the US add-on, I was having to check the bill every single month and call to have charges removed.

@4kaz....do you use it alot in US ?

4kaz

I'm not sure what that means...not all plans with all carriers are the same. My actual Rogers plan sucks, but I only keep it because I only pay $10/month/phone to have the exact same coverage as in Canada while in the US, and if I change my plan at all, I lose this grandfathered add-on. As much as it sucks, it wouldn't suck as much as having to pay these roaming charges for 6 months/year on 2 Phones. Until I get a newer phone with eSIM card capability, where I can sign up with Public Mobile for Canada and get a US eSIM, like say Mint, I think I'm stuck with what I've got for now.

@4kaz Add-ons are same on any plan.

4kaz

Until I get a newer phone with eSIM, I'm probably stuck with Rogers, as your cost to use in the US is completely unsuitable for us.

4kaz

The issue with it being grandfathered is there are better all-round plans out now, but if we change ours, we lose this $10 US add-on.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@4kaz- If you are to become PM customer and do not want to lose number/rewards/loyalty while in States, remember you can 'suspend' your PM account for up to 90 days thus not paying monthly fee but you would have to reactivate it at around 85th day not to lose account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4kaz 

visit to Coverage Map Here .

or Here 

and check it out is enough Towers in your area...

public mobile use TELUS network and Bell Mobility, 

*important to you know about transfer*

Make sure that you have the old SIM card in your phone when you're porting your number. You should get a SMS message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to port your number. Your reply should be: YES.

The confirmation message can take a few minutes to come in. You have 90 minutes from the time of request.

Eligibility Check if your existing number is eligible to move visit Here link 

and Here How To Activate Online visit Here link  for more information,

Activate your Public Mobile SIM card

You'll be up and running in just 4 easy steps, Here link 

for new customers who activate online.only, To get  2GB of monthly bonus data for Free* when you activations on $35, $40, $50, $70 rate plans, for that Promo code for 2GB ,  2GBBONUS , that monthly bonus for 2GB no expires but you have to keep your plan and if you changed your plan you will lost the promo 2GB,just to you know.

put it the email for it and the same email when you do a new activate, Here link,

so when Activate put it both code

1. Enter  Promo Code for 2GB Free, ( 2GBBONUS ) 

2. Enter  Friend Referral Code (??????)  to you will receive a one-time credit of $10..,,

they will applied within 72hr,,,

*for more information about Refer A Friend Reward, How Does It Work visit  Here link,

plus Set up AutoPay and you will receive a $2 credit every 30 days. save money and safe and secure 100%.

Good Luck and your welcome to Public Mobile

with a Beautiful Service 

you will be very happy..

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@4kaz 

We were on Mobilicity plan before they were purchased by Chatr (Rogers). We were also grandfathered on the old Mobilicity price. Everything was fine until I made a call within 20 km to a family member and I was charged for a long distance call. I assume I was on Chatr/Rogers larger coverage but I found out that since I was grandfathered, I was on the old Mobilicity smaller coverage. The Chatr/Rogers website coverage covers the area I was making the call but the Chatr CS Agent said that my coverage is on the previous coverage shown by a dropdown menu and I wasn't covered.

For us to be on the larger Chatr/Rogers coverage, we had to switch over to a new Chatr plan but we decided to stick with the old plan then a few months later we got a notice that Chatr was going to raise our plan price.That is when we switched over to PM and so far so good with PM.

In your case, It will be easier and cheaper to stick with Rogers but don't be surprised that you will get a notice for an increase in your plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4kaz : Wouldn't that be about $300/month each? A couple years ago this place had a short-lived plan that allowed full Canada/US usage and some data. It was $60/month. Would you share what you're paying Rogers for your base plan?

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@4kaz wrote:

We have a grandfathered plan where, yes, we only pay $10/month to use our phones while in the US like in Canada. Otherwise, Rogers Roam Like Home would cost us each $150/month extra!

That's pretty incredible, in this day and age!! 😮

4kaz

We have a grandfathered plan where, yes, we only pay $10/month to use our phones while in the US like in Canada. Otherwise, Rogers Roam Like Home would cost us each $150/month extra!

@4kaz 

You are right.  Probably easier to stay with Roger's plan for now.

There are ways to save money with Public mobile while traveling, but it probably not worth the hassle for yourselves.  Some customers will forward their PM number to a VOIP service (like Fongo).  Use a Text forwarding app, but it involves keeping your phone plugged in Canada.  Too complicated.  Easier to just stay with your service for now.  Keep the same phone number and able to use just like home, while traveling in States.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you are planning a longer term stay in the US, you might want to consider mintmobile.com.

@4kaz wrote:

Yes, except my phone is older and can't do eSIM. Used to use Roam Mobility in the States years ago, but it is no longer. We are there for the winter....would rather not have to go back to swapping sims/numbers again. My husband still speaks to work, etc on his phone. This just isn't the right option for us....I guess we have to stay with Rogers for ease of use (to use in the US is only $10/month for us.....it's the rest of their plan that's extortionate).

yes, in your case, staying with Rogers might be easier

But since you are there long, swapping SIM with a US carrier is not too bad.  It's cheaper than Rogers , is it?  Is Rogers only $10/month???? I thought Rogers Roam like home is $10/DAY instead

4kaz

Yes, except my phone is older and can't do eSIM. Used to use Roam Mobility in the States years ago, but it is no longer. We are there for the winter....would rather not have to go back to swapping sims/numbers again. My husband still speaks to work, etc on his phone. This just isn't the right option for us....I guess we have to stay with Rogers for ease of use (to use in the US is only $10/month for us.....it's the rest of their plan that's extortionate).

@4kaz 

For longer trips to USA, the 10 day roaming packages can get pricey. 

It is more economical to get a temporary US based cell plan.  Much cheaper.  

4kaz

Oh no, just read I'd be roaming in the US....that won't do. The additional roaming costs for 4 or 5 months for 2 of us would cost more than what Rogers extortionate prices are.

Need Help? Let's chat.